Movies

Halfway through quarantine, wife and I just decided to watch a movie every night, because what else are we gonna do? Our goal was "The 100 movies of quarantine" but we have already blown by that mark (#100 was Citizine Kane).

Anyway here's the list gouis’s films
The Three Colors Trilogy is on my Criterion purchase backlog! Actually, a bunch of stuff you watched is on the backlog: Hausu, Barry Lyndon, Three Colors, Mishima.

I hope you liked Before Sunset. What a movie.

Halfway through quarantine, wife and I just decided to watch a movie every night, because what else are we gonna do? Our goal was "The 100 movies of quarantine" but we have already blown by that mark (#100 was Citizine Kane).

Some classics and cult classics in there... and Warcraft...

The Three Colors Trilogy is on my Criterion purchase backlog! Actually, a bunch of stuff you watched is on the backlog: Hausu, Barry Lyndon, Three Colors, Mishima.

I hope you liked Before Sunset. What a movie.
Watched Three Colors streaming on HBO, but it's so good. Out of the other ones you list Mishima was my favorite. So wonderfully creative.

Before Sunrise completely blew me away. All of the Linklater films there were because of how much I liked that movie (never was a fan of him before having only seen Dazed and Confused, and I still don't like that movie). After we watched it I waited until the next Criterion sale to buy the trilogy and watch.

Just finished Tenet and wow! What a crazy film. I actually think I preferred it to Inception as I feel like I fully grasped the plot by the end of it. I certainly recommend watching it, and im likely going to watch it again knowing how it ends.

Watched Three Colors streaming on HBO, but it's so good. Out of the other ones you list Mishima was my favorite. So wonderfully creative.

Before Sunrise completely blew me away. All of the Linklater films there were because of how much I liked that movie (never was a fan of him before having only seen Dazed and Confused, and I still don't like that movie). After we watched it I waited until the next Criterion sale to buy the trilogy and watch.
The whole Before trilogy is wonderful, Sunset is just a jewel among jewels.

I think in the list Days of Thunder might be the worst movie (we watched that while stuck in a hotel room). That movie is pure shit.
Great title, though.

Really think Before Midnight is a mistake. And while it might be "good" it really ends things on a sour note that is too pessimistic for me.
I felt similarly when I saw it, but I also admire that both leads were able to fold their life experiences into the script and produce something that feels messy and ugly but true. And I do feel that it ultimately ends on a note of hope; I'm curious if they will do a fourth film.

Can I throw out a recommendation? Coherence is on Amazon Prime and is 100% worth a blind watch if you haven't seen it.

I felt similarly when I saw it, but I also admire that both leads were able to fold their life experiences into the script and produce something that feels messy and ugly but true. And I do feel that it ultimately ends on a note of hope; I'm curious if they will do a fourth film.

Can I throw out a recommendation? Coherence is on Amazon Prime and is 100% worth a blind watch if you haven't seen it.
Coherence rules.

All recommendations welcome. The libraries are shutting down again so we'll have to switch back to streaming (90% of those movies were watched from discs from the library. Many in blu-ray, and all the criterion ones include the booklets. The library rules).

How was Beau Travail? I’d never heard of it until a few months ago but I keep seeing rave reviews on Letterboxd from people I follow. Wish it was streaming somewhere.

How was Beau Travail? I’d never heard of it until a few months ago but I keep seeing rave reviews on Letterboxd from people I follow. Wish it was streaming somewhere.
That’s because it was recently remastered by criterion. It’s considered Claire Denis’ best film so the movie heads are all about it this year.

Extremely intense movie. Based on Billy Bud by Melville. Very little dialogue but very poetic. It’s only 90 minutes so it doesn’t doesn’t your patience, but it is challenging. Very beautiful and worthwhile though.

That’s because it was recently remastered by criterion. It’s considered Claire Denis’ best film so the movie heads are all about it this year.

Extremely intense movie. Based on Billy Bud by Melville. Very little dialogue but very poetic. It’s only 90 minutes so it doesn’t doesn’t your patience, but it is challenging. Very beautiful and worthwhile though.
Glad to hear it. I ordered the criterion blu ray as a blind purchase (since the sale was about to end) just based on some of these reviews and I’m excited to watch it. I keep hearing that the ending is really good, too.

Bold move

DO I STILL NEED TO WAIT A YEAR FOR DUNE

Okay, now I've taken a deep breath.

I hope this doesn't herald the end of cinemas. Despite this move, I do think many people still love the theater experience. I imagine this will lead to an ever-more-corporate wasteland in which you go to the HBOMax Cinema or the Amazon Prime Moviehouse to see their Sanctioned Content, but it might also mean a new wild west for independent/repertory screens.

Back