Movies

I watched Sword of Trust yesterday. Made me sad all over again for Marc Maron and Lynn Shelton.

Maron is good, especially his monologue in the back of the box truck, which clearly draws from a well of real life inspiration. Other than that, though, it's a fairly slight film. A little too broad to be a true slice of life tale, but not quite big enough to be more than just a drop-in visit into the lives of some people who cross paths.

I am still chuckling at the name Hog Jaws, though.

I remember the first time I watched it, I was somewhat confused by the opening segment in Iraq. The movie had been so built up over time, at least in my mind, and I was expecting a certain something out of the movie. But that opening was unexpected.
I was lucky, the first time I gotta see it was in high school, they re-released it in the theaters for its 25th anniversary.

I was lucky, the first time I gotta see it was in high school, they re-released it in the theaters for its 25th anniversary.

I think I have like 3 different DVD versions of it. I think two of them have the same actual version of the movie, but the special features were different. It's a great film. The little subliminal appearances by this guy still weird me out to this day:

exorcist-demon1.jpg

It's a bit expensive, but it looks to be a real nice set. New scans of most of the movies, new extras, new Real 3D print for Part 3, so no more anaglyph Red/Green glasses.

Coming out in time for the 2nd Annual N&G 31 Days of Halloween thread.

And...? What did you think??

(btw, it is one of my favorite horror movies...the rest suck, though.)
I loved the pacing of it all. 60s/70s horror flicks really had this down. But especially here, like I don’t think the signature theme came in until 15-20 minutes or so into the film, which resonated with me for some reason. Characters were valued and that made me feel deeper. The relationship between the mother and daughter was real and to watch that slowly get torn down, with much credit to Ellen Burstyn’s committed performance, was particularly gut-wrenching.

Growing up I’d obviously heard of/seen just about every clip of possessed Linda Blair, which created this larger than life persona in my head, but that didn’t make the 2nd half of the film any less thrilling.

It’s weird because I started 3 other movies that night and stopped them because they didn’t feel right, then this one fell into my lap and the stars aligned. Now, onto my next missed out classic: Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Outside of the Jessica Biel remake, this is the only TCM movie I’ve seen. 2 early-career Oscar winners on board couldn’t save it, but I gotta admit: I owned it on VHS and watched it more than once.

I haven't watched this one in years. Don't think I've owned it...ever.

The first 2 are good...1 is better than 2, but 2 has a different tone.

I haven't watched this one in years. Don't think I've owned it...ever.

The first 2 are good...1 is better than 2, but 2 has a different tone.
I’ll have to check out 2. I watched 1 last night and liked it, just didn’t realize how low budget it was going to be. Acting was....subpar at best, but I get that this was an influential film. I just wish it was influential and something I could see myself revisiting in the future. I felt the same way about Peter Jackson’s Bad Taste.

Another first time viewing I had last night, which I loved, was The Thing. Man, what amazing makeup and special effects. That’s one I wanted to immediately rewatch as soon as I finished it.

I’ll have to check out 2. I watched 1 last night and liked it, just didn’t realize how low budget it was going to be. Acting was....subpar at best, but I get that this was an influential film. I just wish it was influential and something I could see myself revisiting in the future. I felt the same way about Peter Jackson’s Bad Taste.

Another first time viewing I had last night, which I loved, was The Thing. Man, what amazing makeup and special effects. That’s one I wanted to immediately rewatch as soon as I finished it.
The first Texas Chainsaw is good in a historical sense but not something I would likely ever rewatch. The Thing on the other hand is fantastic and highly rewatchable. All those 80s John Carpenter movies are wonderful Popcorn flicks. I have been meaning to watch Big Trouble in Little China and They Live again. Maybe I will bust those out this weekend.

The first Texas Chainsaw is good in a historical sense but not something I would likely ever rewatch. The Thing on the other hand is fantastic and highly rewatchable. All those 80s John Carpenter movies are wonderful Popcorn flicks. I have been meaning to watch Big Trouble in Little China and They Live again. Maybe I will bust those out this weekend.
Big fan of They Live. 80s JC was unstoppable.

Back to the 70s though, the horror genre was spoiled. Halloween and Carrie were 2 movies I watched well before I should have and they made a lasting mark on me. You watch a movie like that and think to yourself “how would a remake ever be able to top this?”

Anybody out there ever seen the 70s disaster flick "Rollercoaster"? I re-watched it last night. It's no "Citizen Kane", but I do enjoy it as a cat and mouse thriller/popcorn flick. Good cast from that era, and it features appearances from a very young Helen Hunt and the band Sparks.

Watched Knives Out for the first time last night. Every good movie with lots of plot twists. Everytime I thought I figured out there was a new twist. This movie is truly as if someone turned the board game Clue into a movie.

Knives out is free for Prime Members to stream. It is $7.99 to buy on any Movies Anywhere Platform in 4k UHD right now. iTunes, Amazon, Vudu, Microsoft, Google Play and so on.

Watched Knives Out for the first time last night. Every good movie with lots of plot twists. Everytime I thought I figured out there was a new twist. This movie is truly as if someone turned the board game Clue into a movie.

Knives out is free for Prime Members to stream. It is $7.99 to buy on any Movies Anywhere Platform in 4k UHD right now. iTunes, Amazon, Vudu, Microsoft, Google Play and so on.

"Knives Out" was probably my favorite movie going experience last year. It was a lot of fun, and I think it will be interesting to see how they carry out the next one in the series. Last I read, Daniel Craig was still going to be on board, but it would be an all new cast and case.

Back