Movies

Friendly reminder: Palm Springs, the priciest acquisition in Sundance history, is going straight to Hulu on Friday.

Between that and First Cow, I guess I know what I’m doing Friday.

In other news, I’m eight years late to Mud, but...good flick.

Last edited:
I missed this a couple of weeks ago. I guess it's official that The Modern Ocean will definitely not be Shane Carruth's "final project."

I missed this a couple of weeks ago. I guess it's official that The Modern Ocean will definitely not be Shane Carruth's "final project."

There's something truly wrong with an industry where an obvious talent like Shane Carruth can't get a movie made.

There's something truly wrong with an industry where an obvious talent like Shane Carruth can't get a movie made.
He need to make a couple blockbusters then everyone will just give em bags of money and leave em the fuck alone. A la Christopher Nolan or Denis Villeneuve. Imagine the flick he could make with that type of cash?

He need to make a couple blockbusters then everyone will just give em bags of money and leave em the fuck alone. A la Christopher Nolan or Denis Villeneuve. Imagine the flick he could make with that type of cash?
I guess that's the baffling thing, though. If one considers Primer and Upstream Color to be his Following and Memento, where's his Insomnia/Batman Begins? Maybe he's impossible and uncompromising to work with, but as far as I know he doesn't have that reputation. Considering his critical cachet and the fact that certain filmgoers (me) will see anything with his name on it, you'd think more financiers would be in the Shane Carruth business.

I guess that's the baffling thing, though. If one considers Primer and Upstream Color to be his Following and Memento, where's his Insomnia/Batman Begins? Maybe he's impossible and uncompromising to work with, but as far as I know he doesn't have that reputation. Considering his critical cachet and the fact that certain filmgoers (me) will see anything with his name on it, you'd think more financiers would be in the Shane Carruth business.
Totally agree. Original filmmaking is a tough sell in this day and age. Marvel needs to let him do a Silver Surfer movie or something.

I imagine he would rather jump out a window.
Maybe but Sam Rami, James Gunn, the aforementioned Nolan, etc.. have all done good work within the superhero genre. I don’t know if I woulda thought the guy who made Swingers or the Director or Meet The Feebles would have made epic studio blockbusters either. Everyone starts somewhere and dude creates great cinema.

Marvel isn't one to let auteurs do anything particularly interesting with their properties either.
I disagree. I think the movies that have been the most successful are the ones where they have loosened the reins a bit. Obviously I am speaking from within the context of studio blockbusters and not an art house flick.

I disagree. I think the movies that have been the most successful are the ones where they have loosened the reins a bit. Obviously I am speaking from within the context of studio blockbusters and not an art house flick.
That may be true, but there are also plenty more instances of good directors leaving Marvel movies over "creative differences" to be replaced by no name blockbuster director #3891.

That may be true, but there are also plenty more instances of good directors leaving Marvel movies over "creative differences" to be replaced by no name blockbuster director #3891.
Peyton Reed for Edgar Wright and Alan Taylor for Patty Jenkins, sure, but Ryan Coogler for Ava Duvernay is a fairly even trade, right? Waititi and Gunn have both been hailed for bringing their sense of humor to their projects, and the Russos went from being sitcom guns for hire to being some of the best action directors on the planet. I think Marvel was smart to keep the reins tight in the early days, but now that they've executed this concept successfully, there are signs that hiring artists and giving them some real latitude also pays dividends.

Exactly. And I'd say the directors who succeed in the house of Marvel clearly know how to compromise while playing with someone else's toys. Directing for Marvel seems like directing for television; you may be able to put your own touch on things but there's definitely a "series bible" you're supposed to be working off of and a tone you have to remain consistent with.

The directors who work with Disney/Marvel regularly (Favreau, the Russos, and now Waititi) all seem more like good "employees" for the studio more than they seem like bold, new voices (Waititi might be the most distinctive, though I do think it seems like he knows when to bring his own ideas in and when to do as the Studio says).

Back