Movies

Got back from 1917 I thought it was amazing. Watch it on the biggest and loudest screen you can.
Thought 1917 was okay. Apart from the technical virtuosity (which is impressive), I didn't really get anything out of it.

I actually agree with both of you as I find myself somewhat in the middle. I was able to check this out in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos today, as an experience it was absolutely awesome and as a film I thought it was decent. Still it was so fun and visually stimulating I feel bad going in on it, it's already gobbling up awards and I just don't really think it's in the conversation for best film.

I think some of my objections really boil down to the story which I had limited connection to. A lot of comparisons are being drawn to Dunkirk but after watching the film I was reminded more of thrillers like Curarón's Gravity, another film I felt lacked a fair deal of substance, and challenged my suspension of disbelief to the breaking point. Still Gravity succeeded more as a thriller because it didn't have any intention to be anything more than that. I feel like this film is reaching for something more but not fully connecting with me?

Still, a fun film to see. As far as awards go, my problem is that there are films this year that having amazing photography, a stunning mise en scene, great editing and deliver a stronger point.

Big fucking yikes for this years's oscar noms.

• Multiple POC (Song Kang-Ho, Zhao Shuzhen, Jennifer Lopez, Awkwafina, etc.) snubbed in acting categories so Kathy Bates could get nominated out of nowhere and Scarlett could get nominated twice.
  • Greta Gerwig snubbed for best director for Todd fucking Philips
  • 11 noms for Joker??????
  • Maleficent: Mistress of Evil having more noms than The Farewell and Uncut Gems

I've actually seen every BP nominee this year for the first time ever (the only one I didn't watch last year was Green Book, because I thought no way that schmaltzy garbage will win)

Ranking:
1. Parasite
2. Little Women
3. The Irishman
4. Marriage Story
5. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
6. Ford v. Ferrari
7. 1917
8. Jojo Rabbit
9. Joker

Big fucking yikes for this years's oscar noms.

• Multiple POC (Song Kang-Ho, Zhao Shuzhen, Jennifer Lopez, Awkwafina, etc.) snubbed in acting categories so Kathy Bates could get nominated out of nowhere and Scarlett could get nominated twice.
  • Greta Gerwig snubbed for best director for Todd fucking Philips
  • 11 noms for Joker??????
  • Maleficent: Mistress of Evil having more noms than The Farewell and Uncut Gems

Other weird/unfortunate/stupid things:
- Joker for costume design
- 1917 for screenplay
- Glasgow from Wild Rose missing out on best song

Nothing for The Farewell is embarrassing.

I've actually seen every BP nominee this year for the first time ever (the only one I didn't watch last year was Green Book, because I thought no way that schmaltzy garbage will win)

Ranking:
1. Parasite
2. Little Women
3. The Irishman
4. Marriage Story
6. Ford v. Ferrari
7. 1917
8. Jojo Rabbit
9. Joker

Of the three I've seen (Parasite/Little Women/Joker), my rankings line up exactly. I need to watch the rest of the slate.

Ranking:
1. Parasite
2. Little Women
3. The Irishman
4. Marriage Story
6. Ford v. Ferrari
7. 1917
8. Jojo Rabbit
9. Joker
I haven’t seen Ford v Ferrari or Jo Jo Rabbit yet but have seen the others. I pretty much agree with your list though I liked 1917 more and Marriage Story less. Not fitting the Farewell in here is disheartening, it was such a sweet film with amazing performances.

1917 for screenplay

Right? It's amazing a group of industry pros always consider storyboarding / blocking = screenplay.

Another laugh for me was Irishman for cinematography, IMO Rodrigo Prieto's most boring work in a while. But we know why that is — impressing VFX like the de-aging one get lumped under cinematography as well.

I'm predicting Joker will do the typical comic-book-movie academy award run and only get several technical awards and best Actor for Phoenix (which is really a win for The Master and You Were Never Really Here). See also: Dark Night and Black Panther. 1917 will get Most Picture and Most Director.

Justice for Greta Gerwig, The Farewell and Uncut Gems.

I know the Oscars are silly, don't reflect the cultural tide or artistic achievement, but golly do I love speculating and predicting.

1917 will sweep technical awards and and probably win best director. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood will win best supporting actor, production design, original screenplay and picture. Dern will win supporting actress and Renee will win actress. Joker will get 2 for Joaquin and score (if it gets more than that we have an issue). The only categories that aren't really locked are animated film and adapted screenplay.

1917 will sweep technical awards and and probably win best director. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood will win best supporting actor, production design, original screenplay and picture. Dern will win supporting actress and Renee will win actress. Joker will get 2 for Joaquin and score (if it gets more than that we have an issue). The only categories that aren't really locked are animated film and adapted screenplay.
I think I agree with this.

Back