Movies

We watched Missing last night at the request of our older daughter. It was surprisingly really good.

I saw trailer for this. It looked too much like "Searching" so I didn't look into it. I guess that makes sense, it's made by the same ppl??

I went to the theater to watch Makoto Shinkai's newest movie Suzume. Like I said earlier, I am newer to exploring anime films. But I enjoyed Your Name and I wanted to see Suzume because seeing something like that on a giant screen just seemed amazing. And it was. It's such a joy to look at, like every inch of every frame is beautifully animated. And the plot of the movie moves at a really nice pace. It also seems somewhat similar to Your Name's tone and themes except with a lot more fun Miyazaki-esque stuff thrown in. Which is perfect for me. I love Studio Ghibli and this one felt closer to that in some ways. The ending is a bit convoluted, but ultimately I didn't care because I had so much fun watching it. I just feel like it nails the various tones its juggling while also being incredibly engaging.

Gonna end up seeing two more movies in theaters next week. Beau is Afraid (despite feeling like it might be bad) and the Spirited Away stage show screening (which looks phenomenal).
Wow you read my mind. I was thinking of seeing Suzume too because I loved Your Name - and almost watched Weathering with you tonight. I ended up watching Gone Girl instead.

I saw Beau is Afraid yesterday as well. I still don’t know if I liked it. It’s definitely an experience, and the feeling you get while watching it is intense. But I just don’t know if it’s like actually a good movie or just not. The ending especially I just kind of hated.

Last edited:
images

Got to see the Spirited Away filmed stage show today. It was basically as cool as you'd expect. So much of the fun of it was just wondering how they were going to do certain things. And I've gotta say, they really made it all work. The set design was incredible. I will say it is essentially the exact same script as the movie, so it's very familiar to those of us who know the movie really well, but they did manage to add a couple of small new things to extend the length even longer. Overall, a really nice experience.

We've also been watching the Ghibli movies each weekend. Just did Kiki's Delivery Service last night, which for me is one of the best. It's just so relaxing to me. I could live in it. Finally next weekend I think we'll do Princess Mononoke, which I've longed believe to be my favorite.

I don’t want to yuck anyone’s yums but I could not believe how much this looked like a fake Lucas Lee movie from Scott Pilgrim vs the World.

We've also been watching the Ghibli movies each weekend. Just did Kiki's Delivery Service last night, which for me is one of the best. It's just so relaxing to me. I could live in it. Finally next weekend I think we'll do Princess Mononoke, which I've longed believe to be my favorite.
Kiki is one of the coziest movies ever made. Top three Miyazaki for me, and it makes me cry every time.

This was an incredible film and I highly recommend it. @David A. Tell your lady friend, whoever she is, that she was wonderful. The whole cast was.

images
It’s so good. We saw it at a fest in Red Bank, NJ last year and we were floored. Colin, the director, is also the nicest dude.

And yes, Bill Nye has heard about this movie.

Back