Movies

Top Gun in 1986 was the beginning of the era of "Summer Action Blockbuster" - Being a Jerry Bruckheimer produced movie puts it on the same plane as a Michael Bay movie.

They also made the same movie - but in race cars for "Days Of Thunder".

I like Top Gun...but I also grew up with it. Saw it in the theater, and it was one of the first VHS tapes that was priced to own when it was released to video...so a lot of people with VCRs owned a copy for 20 bucks. Most VHS movies at that time were still priced for rentals, so they had an MSRP around $100.

I recently bought the 2 movie 4K set of them, but I haven't had time to watch them. I've really only heard good things about the sequel, though.

So is All Quiet on the Western Front as good as the 1930 film? I've got lots of movies to watch before the oscars!

i haven't seen the old movie, but i did happen to read the book again earlier this year before knowing a new film was on the way, and i will say

there is an added side-plot that didn't feel necessary (but overall made sense for the story and isn't a net-negative inclusion) and in a way the movie ends up focusing more on the political and phyiscal horrors than psychological horrors of war - paul's trip home where he feels disconnected is completely omitted, for example - which i felt was a primary theme of the book. there are illustrations of the psychological toll taken on individuals, but they are not as powerful as they are portrayed in the book even if they are very horrific.

as a movie to watch, though, it is definitely audio-visually impressive and does not hold back. i wish i could have seen it on a theater screen. maybe with the oscar nods i'll get the chance to do so.

i haven't seen the old movie, but i did happen to read the book again earlier this year before knowing a new film was on the way, and i will say

there is an added side-plot that didn't feel necessary (but overall made sense for the story and isn't a net-negative inclusion) and in a way the movie ends up focusing more on the political and phyiscal horrors than psychological horrors of war - paul's trip home where he feels disconnected is completely omitted, for example - which i felt was a primary theme of the book. there are illustrations of the psychological toll taken on individuals, but they are not as powerful as they are portrayed in the book even if they are very horrific.

as a movie to watch, though, it is definitely audio-visually impressive and does not hold back. i wish i could have seen it on a theater screen. maybe with the oscar nods i'll get the chance to do so.
The 1930 movie is fantastic, but I haven't read the book to know if it's a good adaptation. The part you said the new movies omits from the book is in the old one though.

So I'm not a big horror fan but have been trying to hit the big recent releases - here's my rankings
  1. Barbarian
  2. X
  3. Pearl
  4. Bodies Bodies Bodies
Where shall I go next? I prefer the more psychological type movies over pure slasher. Thinking Midsommar then ??
Two of my favorite horrors from the past few years are both with Nicholas Cage

• Mandy
• The Color From Out of Space

I've seen most? of the Best Picture noms except...

All Quiet On The Western Front - I might get around to it, but it doesn't quite sound like my thing? I don't know
Elvis - just looks so awful I can't believe it has this much oscar traction
Top Gun - just zero interest. I don't care about it at all
Women Talking - this will be the next one I watch as soon as I can

Obviously out of what's here what I'd love to win is Everything Everywhere All At Once.

But I'm sad to see Decision To Leave left out completely. I think that's an incredible film and deserves so much more attention.

Also am I the only person that has seen Tar??

I've seen that one twice so far and think its a fascinating and scathing film. Completely engrossing, beautifully shot, and powerfully acted by all involved I hope that Cate at leasts takes the Best Actress win for it but I have a feeling Michelle will. Tar is a movie I will likely watch a 3rd and potential 4th time trying to pick up all the nuance.

I've seen that one twice so far and think its a fascinating and scathing film. Completely engrossing, beautifully shot, and powerfully acted by all involved I hope that Cate at leasts takes the Best Actress win for it but I have a feeling Michelle will. Tar is a movie I will likely watch a 3rd and potential 4th time trying to pick up all the nuance.
In my top 5 movies of the last year. Brilliant stuff.

While we're talking about spectacle and the Oscars: I'm right there with everyone on Nope being snubbed, but The Northman also deserved better imo. I didn't expect it to take up any of the big awards (has Eggers ever been recognized by the Oscars?) but I would have definitely slid it some noms for cinematography/costume design/etc.

Also while it's nice to see The Batman get some (very deserved) love for its technical aspects, if things like Avatar and Top Gun are fair game for BP (no shade!) I don't see why it shouldn't be considered as well 🤷‍♀️ also strongly believe GDT's Pinocchio deserved a BP nomination as well, but one of the only things the Oscars have less respect for than horror is animation, so not surprising. Also I guess I'm the only one who really loved Wendell & Wild because I would have put that in the Animated category in a heartbeat. Was Mad God eligible this year too?
The Batman deserved the BP nom over Top Gun.

I think it was. Phil Tippet congratulated the nominees and said the Oscars weren't ready for Mad God

I watched Megan, despite originally thinking it was just going to be bad bad. But hey it’s fun bad. It’s over the top, ridiculous, but funny and wild. Not a great movie per se, but for what it is it’s weirdly more enjoyable than it should be.
It’s a movie that knows exactly what it is.

I watched Minari earlier tonight and.....wow. Another A24 film that I found to be really hard-hitting (they certainly are becoming my favourite production company). Im not entirely sure why I didn't watch it at the time of its release, but I'm glad I gave it a shot now. Really sad and times and happy at others. The actors perfectly capture the struggle of life, balancing between work and home.

Well worth watching, I thoroughly recommend it.

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 22.30.46.png

I watched Minari earlier tonight and.....wow. Another A24 film that I found to be really hard-hitting (they certainly are becoming my favourite production company). Im not entirely sure why I didn't watch it at the time of its release, but I'm glad I gave it a shot now. Really sad and times and happy at others. The actors perfectly capture the struggle of life, balancing between work and home.

View attachment 165171
Steven Yeun has become like one of my favorite actors and he's so good in this.

View attachment 165171

Was very near the top of my 2020 list that I can't find. That was such an awful year for film but Minari was definitely an exception.

It was only in my local theater for a week and I missed it. Holding out hope it will give another run now that it's nominated.

I watched Aftersun last night - I really enjoyed it and am still thinking about it today.

I may have posted this here... but after I finished Aftersun I sat in awe processing the film for a bit and then abruptly broke down sobbing for like 10 minutes while processing repressed emotions related to my father's health. The last film to make me cry was Blue Valentine in 2010 and I'm pretty sure I was tipsy while watching it.

Anyways, underseen masterpiece that I can't wait to rewatch.

As to your horror film rankings... I just finished X. It was really good but hard to watch in places. The opening to Pearl immediately started playing on Plex. Looks good but I've heard 2 grown men say it gave them nightmares so I don't know that I have the stomach for it.

I'd go:
1) Nope
2) Bodies Bodies Bodies
3) X
4) Barbarian

I enjoyed Barbarian more than X but X was undeniably better from the technical end and had more to say thematically.

Meanwhile, I need to rewatch Bodies Bodies Bodies but I saw it in theaters and was laughing throughout and loved the twist. And I'm a sucker for the use of creative slang. I could see it being the film I come back to most frequently from 2020. Especially since Babylon is 3 hours.

I also need to rewatch Nope but I could see myself bumping it to a 5 star a couple years from now. It was gorgeous, entertaining and the chimp stuff really added to the themes for me (and was exceptionally well done). Didn't much care for Us so really happy to see Peele rebound.

Lastly, check out Saint Maud if you haven't. Horror elements + A24.

Last edited:
Back