Movies

Watched Da 5 Bloods last night, very much enjoyed it, especially Delroy Lindo who is just phenomenal in it. It would be cool if Criterion scooped it up for a home media release like they have some other Netflix movies.
We really enjoyed this one.
Good on Spike, lots of good message, ode's to Sierra Madre, Marvin Gaye, Vietnam Vets, etc.

Last edited:
Best movies of 2021 (non-ranked, not really finalized)

Titane

Pig

Licorice Pizza

Dune

Summer of Soul

Zack Snyder’s Justice League

West Side Story

The Power of the Dog

Venom 2

Annette

The Velvet Underground

The Green Knight

Godzilla vs Kong

In the Heights

malignant

The Last Duel

Still to see or titles I want to rewatch before I finalize a list; Passing, The Lost Daughter, Spencer, Coda, The Tragedy of Macbeth, Dig, Benedetta, Mass, C’mon C’mon, The Sparks Brothers, drive my car, The Card Counter

Honorable mentions: French Dispatch, Tick Tick …Boom, House of Gucci, Matrix Revolutions, The Suicide Squad

Titane

Pig

Licorice Pizza

Dune

Summer of Soul

West Side Story

The Power of the Dog

Venom 2

Annette

The Velvet Underground

The Green Knight

Godzilla vs Kong

In the Heights

malignant

The Last Duel

Still to see or titles I want to rewatch before I finalize a list; Passing, The Lost Daughter, Spencer, Coda, The Tragedy of Macbeth, Dig, Benedetta, Mass, C’mon C’mon, The Sparks Brothers, drive my car, The Card Counter

Honorable mentions: French Dispatch, Tick Tick …Boom, House of Gucci, Matrix Revolutions, The Suicide Squad
Solid list, but

Venom 2 🧐

West Side Story is the best film musical of the new century and one of Spielberg’s greasiest achievements so long as you can ignore how gross Ansel Elgort is irl
I really, really need to see this. I get sad to think that the film musical seems to be relegated to animated films. I think we need more musical theater films with actual people, but they need to actually be good at singing (I'm looking at you, Russel Crowe in Les Mis).

Titane

Pig

Licorice Pizza

Dune

Summer of Soul

West Side Story

The Power of the Dog

Venom 2

Annette

The Velvet Underground

The Green Knight

Godzilla vs Kong

In the Heights

malignant

The Last Duel

ZSJL is a brave selection.

Took me a long time to recognize that BvS was actually the most delightful subversion of the DC mythology. Weirdly, it’s too dark and sincere for audiences to take seriously?
Snyder brings a lot of visual panache but I've never been able to feel anything beneath the surface with his movies. He's a more sincere, reverent JJ Abrams, understanding the surface appeal of an object but seemingly incapable of engaging with it on any deeper level.

Though obviously you got something out of it, so maybe it's just over my head.

Titane

Pig

Licorice Pizza

Dune

Summer of Soul

West Side Story

The Power of the Dog

Venom 2

Annette

The Velvet Underground

The Green Knight

Godzilla vs Kong

In the Heights

malignant

The Last Duel

LoL stop
Let There Be Carnage was garbage

I liked four of the nominees at least. But Yeesh, Being the Ricardos might be one of the worst biopics in recent memory.

And Being the Ricardos was fine. I wouldn't says it's Best Picture worthy, but I don't understand the hate.

Maybe I just wanna watch reruns 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back