Movies

I liked four of the nominees at least. But Yeesh, Being the Ricardos might be one of the worst biopics in recent memory.
Such a bummer that schlock like Ricardos and DLU and trite shit we've seen 1000s of times like Belfast and King Richard are getting in when there were so many good movies this year. Super lazy picks.

We've had worse.
For sure, I just think the spectrum of bad -> mediocre -> good -> great movies nominated are going to skew hard to the left. I lot of these movies I like, but think they're good not great (CODA, Dune, LP). That's just how I measure it at least.

West Side Story is the best film musical of the new century and one of Spielberg’s greasiest achievements so long as you can ignore how gross Ansel Elgort is irl
Tick Tick Boom is also great and Andrew Garfield should be slam dunking the best actor race (would be fine with Benedict too tho).

For sure, I just think the spectrum of bad -> mediocre -> good -> great movies nominated are going to skew hard to the left. I lot of these movies I like, but think they're good not great (CODA, Dune, LP). That's just how I measure it at least.
I still need to watch a bunch of these, admittedly. I do love Dune, but I also acknowledge at least half that love stems from my attachment to the material.

I liked four of the nominees at least. But Yeesh, Being the Ricardos might be one of the worst biopics in recent memory.
We avoided it, tx for the reassurance 😊

For anyone looking for a great Lucy experience btw, highly recommend the Luci Museum at the National Comedy Center in Lucy's hometown.

We avoided it, tx for the reassurance 😊

For anyone looking for a great Lucy experience btw, highly recommend the Luci Museum at the National Comedy Center in Lucy's hometown.
@JohnnyCashFan , I went to the Lucy/Desi fest in 2007. My cousin is a big Lucille Ball fan and Desi was always lauded in our Cuban household.

The museum is great.

The thing about the academy that keeps me coming back is that they get soooo close. Last year's BP lineup was VERY solid, and the year before that, Parasite swept. A few years before that, Moonlight somehow managed to win BP (deservedly so). But then they subject you to Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody wins and 11 noms for the Joker lmao Guessing which way they're gonna sway in any given year is half the fun.

Also depressing that Drive My Car is likely going to be the first movie to win the critics trifecta (joining the ranks of The Social Network, The Hurt Locker, Goodfellas, etc) to not get a BP nod. Sad.

The thing about the academy that keeps me coming back is that they get soooo close. Last year's BP lineup was VERY solid, and the year before that, Parasite swept. A few years before that, Moonlight somehow managed to win BP (deservedly so). But then they subject you to Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody wins and 11 noms for the Joker lmao Guessing which way they're gonna sway in any given year is half the fun.
I mean, they don’t get THAT close. They have made progress but at the end, the AMPAS is an institution that wants to curate film history with an American centric, narrow minded take on what film is and what film can be.

Jesus lol we bout to have the worst best picture lineup in a minute folks.

Yeah, lots of mediocre to bad movies here.

I’m Wondering what everyone’s top ten would be. I feel like a lot of movies I liked that I’ve seen in the last year likely wouldn’t have gotten nominated: Drive my Car, Souvenirs part 2, Titane, Bendetta, Pig, Parallel Mothers, but Dune, Licorice Pizza, and Power of the Dog would be in for me (I haven’t seen WSS yet)

Back