Movies

Eternals is pretty bad. I respect that there's people who like it but no film has driven home how tired I am of the MCU than this one. It fails as a high concept sci-fi fantasy epic, because it's story is a mess and constantly contradicts itself (among other reasons), and it fails as a dumb popcorn movie, because it's not entertaining.

tough to bring an auteur into a franchise that is inherently unwilling to challenge its viewers too much.

I'm not one to defend Disney/Marvel, but calling Zhao an auteur and then removing all responsibility of her film's success/failure from her hands and placing it in the studio's/"franchise's" hands doesn't make sense.

Eternals is pretty bad. I respect that there's people who like it but no film has driven home how tired I am of the MCU than this one. It fails as a high concept sci-fi fantasy epic, because it's story is a mess and constantly contradicts itself (among other reasons), and it fails as a dumb popcorn movie, because it's not entertaining.

Eternals was lifeless.

The original ending Zhao had planned makes me think there's a decent film in there somewhere.

Maybe one day we'll get a Zhao cut of Eternals. *shrug*

I'm not one to defend Disney/Marvel, but calling Zhao an auteur and then removing all responsibility of her film's success/failure from her hands and placing it in the studio's/"franchise's" hands doesn't make sense.

Eternals was lifeless.

The original ending Zhao had planned makes me think there's a decent film in there somewhere.

Maybe one day we'll get a Zhao cut of Eternals. *shrug*
By all accounts, she had things she wanted to do and those things were taken away from her by focus groups. I’m not saying her desired version would have been a masterpiece, but it certainly would have been more interesting.

Oh, absolutely. There’s hints of her personal style but my god, the MCU’s embrace of safe mediocrity just pisses me off.

There’s supposed to be a love story at the center of the movie. Where is it? It’s not just that these
Movies ignore the carnal pleasures but there is not a satisfying love story in the whole MCU.
No one in the MCU fucks

Do you think NYC rent prices dipped after the 2012 Chitauri invasion? How about after the blip?

I want to know how people in the MCU who aren’t Avengers adjacent live their lives. Like, so many people need to be in therapy.
They touched on it a bit in the Falcon and Winter Soldier TV show but in a scaled down budget way with one scene with refugees who are displaced and have nowhere to go.

And there's boinking in Eternals so finally someone had sex in the MCU.

Kung Fu Panda is such a genuinely well-made and entertaining movie, so much fun and a lot of heart. I hadn't watched it in probably over half a decade so it was nice to remind myself what a wonderful little film it is. I wonder if the sequels are streaming anywhere 🤔

Kung Fu Panda is such a genuinely well-made and entertaining movie, so much fun and a lot of heart. I hadn't watched it in probably over half a decade so it was nice to remind myself what a wonderful little film it is. I wonder if the sequels are streaming anywhere 🤔
perfect Jack Black casting

Watched Free Guy last night with Ryan Reynolds and Jodie Comer. We really liked it. Had just the right dose of Reynolds humor and we love Villanelle. It was between that and The Last Duel and we wanted something more upbeat and enjoyable.
I liked it. The shameless IP references at the end were jarring . But it was a breezy movie.

I do highly recommend The Last Duel.

I’ve been watching all the Muppet movies over the past week or so. I am a big fan of The Muppets, and felt it was time to revisit them + see the ones I never saw before.

The Muppet Movie - nearly perfect, absolutely lovely, with probably the best soundtrack of all of them, I love the set-up, the plot movement, and fantastic final sequence, but I really love how the film proper (not the set-up) starts so calmly with Kermit performing all of the Rainbow Connection sitting on a log - and that's it - so un-flashy

The Great Muppet Caper - kind of a step down from from the original, but it has some brilliant moments, however it's a little shoddier and not quite as fun as the chaos of the original

The Muppets Take Manhattan - my favorite of the bunch, just incredible jokes, a great simple premise, and pretty much every muppet gets a chance to shine - plus the technical achievement of many of these shots is amazing (as is the case with all these first three films)

The Muppet Christmas Carol - I have not re-watched this one yet as it's probably the one most familiar to me because I've re-watched it a lot, I think it's great, albeit because it's an adaptation I do miss the entertainment angle / in-jokes from the original Muppet stuff

Muppet Treasure Island - the most nostalgic of them all for me as it came out at a pretty perfect time in my life growing up, I remember seeing it in the theater, I still think it holds up well, probably just as good as Carol but it doesn't overtake the original or Manhattan

Muppets From Space - weirdly tonally different from all the ones before (and I realized it's cause even Brian Henson wasn't really involved in it from a director or writing standpoint), it's dialed up in a wackier mode and sidelines a lot of the core characters, also no musical numbers - which I missed

Now I am on to watch the revival films. I have seen The Muppets, but not Most Wanted. I don't remember much of The Muppets, but having now gone through basically all of the ones before, I wonder if I actually will like it less than I did

Also been going through the Muppet Show for the first time straight through

I was reading a blog about Ghana movie posters. I can't share that blog but I found another.

Has anyone seen these? They almost all have guns or violence...regardless of the movie and the history is interesting...

Look at Jerry McGuire...WTF!!!

download.jpeg

What do they have Jeff Goldblum doing?!
vpomv7754pn31.jpg

Remember when Jordan solved the alien basketball problem with...A GUN!!!

africa-movie-posters-02.jpg

There are so many and they are soo good.

I was reading a blog about Ghana movie posters. I can't share that blog but I found another.

Has anyone seen these? They almost all have guns or violence...regardless of the movie and the history is interesting...

View attachment 125510

View attachment 125512

View attachment 125514

Yeah, there was a woman on Twitter I follow (though sadly she has recently went dark) who used to post a lot of these.

View attachment 125510

View attachment 125512

View attachment 125514

These are amazing!

Back