Movies

Maybe I need to see it again, but I was very...whelmed when I saw it in theaters. Rushmore and Royal Tennenbaums are still my favorites of his. I also like his animated movies a lot because I work in animation so it's always really impressive to me from a technical standpoint.
I mean, to each their own and all. Moonrise is near the top of the list for me, but my introduction to Anderson was The Life Aquatic, so I have a preference for his more whimsical and stylized work. I think it's a very sweet and beautiful movie.

That said, I need to rewatch Rushmore and especially The Royal Tenenbaums. It's been ages.

I mean, to each their own and all. Moonrise is near the top of the list for me, but my introduction to Anderson was The Life Aquatic, so I have a preference for his more whimsical and stylized work. I think it's a very sweet and beautiful movie.

That said, I need to rewatch Rushmore and especially The Royal Tenenbaums. It's been ages.
Rushmore was the first movie of his I saw. It has a lot of the Wes Anderson trademarks but he had to do it more on a budget so it was more about the story and characters. I think by now, he just has a greenlight on everything so it becomes more style over substance for me lately.

Royal Tenenbaums is the sweet spot for me for his movies. He had really honed in on his visual style and trademarks, but still had a really good, cohesive story with a great ensemble cast. I still love looking at his movies, but it seems like more time goes into deciding what wallpaper he wants to use than what the story actually is haha. There are some cool (and new) visual elements in French Dispatch which I liked though.

Rushmore is tied with Raising Arizona as my favorite movie all time. My SO won’t watch it with me any more since I end up quoting aloud every line in the movie right before the characters deliver it. The Royal Tenenbaums is about as bad.

Rushmore was the first movie of his I saw. It has a lot of the Wes Anderson trademarks but he had to do it more on a budget so it was more about the story and characters. I think by now, he just has a greenlight on everything so it becomes more style over substance for me lately.

Royal Tenenbaums is the sweet spot for me for his movies. He had really honed in on his visual style and trademarks, but still had a really good, cohesive story with a great ensemble cast. I still love looking at his movies, but it seems like more time goes into deciding what wallpaper he wants to use than what the story actually is haha. There are some cool (and new) visual elements in French Dispatch which I liked though.
Totally makes sense!

As someone noted earlier Owen Wilson was Wes Anderson’s writing partner for the early films (up through Tenenbaums) since then he’s been writing with Noah Bombaugh, Roman Coppola and Jason Schwartman. I am a fan of all of his work but I think his writing partner does matter to the storytelling.

Both are fantastic and rewatchable films.
I think my favorite movie in the comedy genre, and one I can't help but quote, is Heathers. Or Holy Grail. Or Airplane. Shit, so many.
Yeah I have several others like that; Ghostbuster, Caddy Shack, Dazed and Confused, Anchorman, Billy Madison, etc., etc.

Each Bond actor is essentially a standalone series, so you can more or less tuck in at any cast change.
I might as well finish Timothy Dalton's series since it's only 2.

Start with Dr. No, then up, Bond Is a Slippery Slope. I usually skip LD tbh. On Her Majesty's Secret Service winter scenes are filmed nice even if Lazenby was not a good choice imho.
I was thinking if i ever got into watching them all i'd start at the beginning since Connery is one of the more popular Bonds.

For those just getting into Bond or looking for a refresher if you can put up with commercials there is a 007 Channel on the Free Pluto streaming TV app.

ps The Classic Doctor Who Channel is great also

For those just getting into Bond or looking for a refresher if you can put up with commercials there is a 007 Channel on the Free Pluto streaming TV app.

Majority is on Prime or Hulu too so if you have that, it might be the way to go.

Last edited:
Majority is on Prime or Hulu too so if you have that, it might be the way to go.

Defo start with Dr no , Russia with love & goldfinger ..the Daniel Graig movies try and tap into these classics ..and they were still spy movies and not yet hitting an established formula ....and the Lazenby OHMSS is brilliant..the new one echoes that throughout

The Vevo music video channels are great too

Rushmore is tied with Raising Arizona as my favorite movie all time. My SO won’t watch it with me any more since I end up quoting aloud every line in the movie right before the characters deliver it. The Royal Tenenbaums is about as bad.

My favorite Wes Anderson is the Grand Budapest Hotel. I don't know why I like that one so much, but if it's on, I have to watch it. I think the story is so sweet because it's ultimately a love story to me. I thought that it really hit a sweet spot in that it is definitely a Wes Anderson movie, but with almost a fairy tale type telling and setting.

I might as well finish Timothy Dalton's series since it's only 2.

I was thinking if i ever got into watching them all i'd start at the beginning since Connery is one of the more popular Bonds.
Timothy Dalton was plagued with the absolute worst Bond scripts--okay, maybe Roger Moore had a few of these too. But I love Tim Dalton as an actor. I think he really shined in Penny Dreadful which is one of the most beautiful TV series I have ever watched.

Each Bond actor is essentially a standalone series, so you can more or less tuck in at any cast change.
And Craig is the only one with any sort of internal chronology (except maybe Connery, but I'm no expert), so you really could just cherrypick based on which star you like and the general critical consensus.

Little late to the Dune discussions, but my wife and I watched it last night. We both really enjoyed it.

I read the book earlier this year, as well as re-watched the David Lynch movie. Lynch's version feels like a speedrun of the story - lots of quick exposition, but also stylistically and visually cool, and a lot of fun even if confusing if you haven't read the book (i.e. my wife).

Villanueve's version seems to showcase a lot of the more nuanced bits that were missing from Lynch's version, and I'm glad they decided to split the story up. There's plenty of little hints and Easter eggs for the book readers. I thought this one would end a little bit later in the overall story than it did, but where it does end is also a good stopping point. There is a sizable time gap that happens in the book, and while jarring there, I realized that could be a good stopping point between films. The next movie could start at the point after that gap, with a flashback to what happened in between. I guess we'll see.

A question to the book readers - did I completely miss something with the description of the suspensors that the Baron uses? My interpretation was that it was basically a metal exoskeleton that propped up his massive amounts of fat. In both movies, he levitates to get around.

A question to the book readers - did I completely miss something with the description of the suspensors that the Baron uses? My interpretation was that it was basically a metal exoskeleton that propped up his massive amounts of fat. In both movies, he levitates to get around.
I need to revisit the book, because I read it about 15 years ago, but yes, I get the impression that the suit the Baron wears just alleviates the gravitational force of his body so he is able to walk.

I think both directors thought it would be cool for him to levitate, and it translates well in a visual medium.

There are some companion resources out there that help with the Dune stories.
  • A "Terminology of the Imperium" at the back of Dune.
  • A non-canonical Dune Encyclopedia (edited by Willis E. McNelly) with "extended universe" background info.
  • A book called A 'Dune' Companion: Characters, Places and Terms in Frank Herbert's Original Six Novels (by Donald E. Palumbo). This probably comes closest to what you're looking for, since it has a pretty good list of "names and stuff," with short entries on each. It covers the whole series.

Back