Movies

Last night I finally did a second watch of Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. For some reason I remembered not liking it much and had it low on my list of Wes Anderson flicks. I loved it this time through and rate it right up there with Rushmore on my list.
I guess timing is everything; when I saw that it was released in 2004 it made sense...that was a rough year that I learned of my then-wife's infidelity followed by a divorce. I probably didn't like much of anything in 2004.
I still think it's one of his lesser flicks. It's tonally all over the place and way too long. That begin said, it's still like a 7/10. when it is good, it is SO good. The ending scene with the fish and sigur ros is iconic. Anderson has made nothing less than at least okay IMO.

Sort of related, he's me as Steve Zissou for Halloween a few years ago.

Screenshot_20211025-153946.jpg

Saw French Dispatch yesterday. It was pretty solid—definitely a good time for fans of Wes. I will say, looking back on his career, I can’t help but wish he made more movies like Tennenbaums and Rushmore. I feel like much of his newer work is visually beautiful, but I can’t get nearly as into the characters/stories.

Speaking of Andersons, every time I see the Licorice Pizza trailer I get so excited

Saw French Dispatch yesterday. It was pretty solid—definitely a good time for fans of Wes. I will say, looking back on his career, I can’t help but wish he made more movies like Tennenbaums and Rushmore. I feel like much of his newer work is visually beautiful, but I can’t get nearly as into the characters/stories.

Speaking of Andersons, every time I see the Licorice Pizza trailer I get so excited
Those two have always been my favorite though I have thoroughly enjoyed all of his films. I think Life Aquatic and Darjeeling Ltd. Are both fine works, I just think they are a bit more dour tonally that Bottle Rockets, Rushmore, and Tennenbaums. Not that those films don’t also delve into sadness, I just they are a bit more balanced with an uncynical optimism. I think starting with Moonrise Kingdom she swung back the other direction and probably over corrected a bit before hitting that balance again with Grand Budapest Hotel. I think French Dispatch will be interested in that it’s more of an anthology so I would assume it could be a bit of a mix bag when it comes to to tone similarly to the Coen Brothers The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

Those two have always been my favorite though I have thoroughly enjoyed all of his films. I think Life Aquatic and Darjeeling Ltd. Are both fine works, I just think they are a bit more dour tonally that Bottle Rockets, Rushmore, and Tennenbaums. Not that those films don’t also delve into sadness, I just they are a bit more balanced with an uncynical optimism. I think starting with Moonrise Kingdom she swung back the other direction and probably over corrected a bit before hitting that balance again with Grand Budapest Hotel. I think French Dispatch will be interested in that it’s more of an anthology so I would assume it could be a bit of a mix bag when it comes to to tone similarly to the Coen Brothers The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.
Think comparing it to Scruggs is a very apt comparison. Some stuff is great, some stuff you can zone out for and it’s fine. I also love Bottle Rockets. Like most people, I discovered it later on, but it’s among my favorite works of his and I think that what he made with a smaller budget is pretty fantastic. Also great Owen Wilson, who I wish would write with Wes again

I still think it's one of his lesser flicks. It's tonally all over the place and way too long. That begin said, it's still like a 7/10. when it is good, it is SO good. The ending scene with the fish and sigur ros is iconic. Anderson has made nothing less than at least okay IMO.

Sort of related, he's me as Steve Zissou for Halloween a few years ago.

View attachment 115681
Sweet costume idea!

As far as it being too long, last night it seemed just right. But it being only my second viewing, my wife's first, and my first Anderson film in a couple years---I guess it just hit the spot.

somehow i was able to avoid all spoilers before seeing no time to die tonight, and i'm glad i was. i don't think the movie was great, but for a daniel craig/this version of bond's sendoff it's hard to find too much to complain about. i thought this one stretched the realism - as much as there is in 007 movies anyway - beyond what the previous craig films had, so that was a bit disappointing. i actually felt there were a few moments where the tone and action felt nearer to the brosnan bond movies than the craig ones. i also felt there wasn't enough meaningful screen time for the majority of the other players to make their characters and events of this movie really sink in. i do like that this movie took some risks with its characters that no previous bond films have tried, it's just a bit of a shame that the movie had too much story to get through. that said, i was entertained from start to finish and it's been a joy to watch daniel craig as bond over these last five films. i have to think a full reboot is coming, and i'd be lying if i said i wasn't looking forward to seeing what comes next now that we really have no clue what the future holds.

somehow i was able to avoid all spoilers before seeing no time to die tonight, and i'm glad i was. i don't think the movie was great, but for a daniel craig/this version of bond's sendoff it's hard to find too much to complain about. i thought this one stretched the realism - as much as there is in 007 movies anyway - beyond what the previous craig films had, so that was a bit disappointing. i actually felt there were a few moments where the tone and action felt nearer to the brosnan bond movies than the craig ones. i also felt there wasn't enough meaningful screen time for the majority of the other players to make their characters and events of this movie really sink in. i do like that this movie took some risks with its characters that no previous bond films have tried, it's just a bit of a shame that the movie had too much story to get through. that said, i was entertained from start to finish and it's been a joy to watch daniel craig as bond over these last five films. i have to think a full reboot is coming, and i'd be lying if i said i wasn't looking forward to seeing what comes next now that we really have no clue what the future holds.

Agree - I think the 5 movies Craig did had one classic (skyfall) - one good (1st one) - two average (last two) and one clunker (2nd one)

So not a bad ratio - and definitely revived the franchise as the last couple of Brosnan movies have dated horribly

Be good to see where we go

Connery still the king

I've only seen 1 bond movie in my entire life. And that was The Living Daylights by Timothy Dalton - I liked it. Just the thought of watching all the rest of it seems like a daunting task.

I've only seen 1 bond movie in my entire life. And that was The Living Daylights by Timothy Dalton - I liked it. Just the thought of watching all the rest of it seems like a daunting task.
Start with Dr. No, then up, Bond Is a Slippery Slope. I usually skip LD tbh. On Her Majesty's Secret Service winter scenes are filmed nice even if Lazenby was not a good choice imho.

I saw French Dispatch on Sunday and sadly I think it may be one of my least favorite movies of his. French Dispatch, Moonrise Kingdom and Darjeeling round out the bottom 3 for me.

I agree with you--visually it's great as usual. But there's no character development at all and there's too much going on to get invested in any of the stories. It seemed all over the place to me. The pacing was really weird too. Everything was so fast. It just jumps from scene to scene so quickly without any time to breathe.

Back