Movies

Sooooo, I'll be seeing the second installment of Dune when it hits HBO since we no longer have a movie theater here in town.
I’ve been to the movies twice in the past week. The first time going since the pandemic began. And both theaters were completely empty. Saw French Dispatch at the small indie theater a few towns away and saw Bond today at a big multiplex. I don’t know how they are going to stay in business. The indie one is a non-profit so it has lots of famous and rich people backing it as well as memberships available. So that will hopefully be safe for now

DUNE: good not great.

The Good: It looks and sounds amazing. See it in a theater ONLY.

The bad: it has no emotional weight. Everything feels so cold and distant on a narrative level. Also, it's not a complete film! It just ends.

Still had fun with the rip roarin effects on the big screen though.

About Dune.... I watched the David Lynch version because why not. I actually like David Lynch's movies a lot and Twin Peaks. And some of you guys liked it.

I don't think his Dune was watchable tho... I had to stop it twice because I was falling asleep. It was weird but not in a good way and somehow boring at the same time. I watched the DV version first tho and its interesting because the things that seemed so weird in that version almost the most normal parts in this one.

About Dune.... I watched the David Lynch version because why not. I actually like David Lynch's movies a lot and Twin Peaks. And some of you guys liked it.

I don't think his Dune was watchable tho... I had to stop it twice because I was falling asleep. It was weird but not in a good way and somehow boring at the same time. I watched the DV version first tho and its interesting because the things that seemed so weird in that version almost the most normal parts in this one.
I really enjoyed the DV Dune. I never read the book and like you went back and watched Lynch’s Dune. I agree with all of this. In reading about the history of Lynch’s Dune, I learned that Ridley Scott was originally attached to direct but was in the process of filming Blade Runner and the producers didn’t want to wait to get Dune out and hired Lynch based off of Elephant Man but hadn’t seen any of his other films and Lynch had never read Dune prior to filming. Lynch’s version, if thought of as a Lynch sci-fi film isn’t bad. Also, I understand that they cut like an hour from the film. I am not sure it would have made a huge difference but I think it would be an interesting watch. I would have loved to see what Scott would have done with Dune based on Alien and Blade Runner I think he could have made a very interesting and rich universe. Anyways DV’s version is very well done. I wish it were longer; maybe 3 movies instead of two, but overall it’s beautifully executed and am looking forward to the sequel.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the DV Dune. I never read the book and like you went back and watched the Lynch’s Dune. I agree with all of this. In reading about the history of Lynch’s Dune, I learned that Ridley Scott was originally attached to direct but was in the process of filming Blade Runner and the producers didn’t want to wait to get Dune out and hired Lynch based off of Elephant Man but hadn’t seen any of his other films and Lynch had never read Dune prior to filming. Lynch’s version, if thought of as a Lynch sci-fi film isn’t bad. Also, I understand that they cut like an hour from the film. I am not sure it would have made a huge difference but I think it would be an interesting watch. I would have loved to see what Scott would have done with Dune based on Alien and Blade Runner I think he could have made a very interesting and rich universe. Anyways DV’s version is very well done. I wish it were longer; maybe 3 movies instead of two, but overall it’s beautifully executed and am looking forward to the sequel.
There’s a 3 hour 10 minute special edition of Lynch’s Dune. Curious if anyone’s seen this version and if it helps flesh some things out a bit?

My take is that Lynch's Dune fails completely as a narrative movie but has some great visuals and individual moments that make it worth watching. It's actually a bit funny because my problems with the Lynch and Villeneuve versions are almost completely swapped; I like the visual style and tone of Lynch's film but acknowledge that the story is muddled at best. Meanwhile, Villeneuve made the story much easier to follow but everything else about the film felt very dull. Lynch's just appeals to my tastes more; the drab cinematography and more muted take on the story in Villeneuve's version just didn't draw me in the same way that Lynch's film did, as strange and sometimes bad as it may be. I feel compelled to mention everytime I throw my hat into the Dune conversation that I haven't read the books, but I also really don't think that should matter; if a film adaptation is only good if I'm familiar with the book, then why bother making it into a film in the first place?

We are all Halloween'ed out so this is on weekend viewing, hope to finish up by tomorrow

3968209_so.jpg

Probably have seen it 20+ times, I like it because I always seem to catch something new every viewing.

I thought the new one dragged.

Back