Movies

Just got back from seeing "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood" and I loved every bit of it (even the nearly 3 hour runtime!)
Already my favorite Tarantino movie, though I've only seen one other one and it's not even really close to this one.
this is good to hear! i'm hoping to catch this soon

Just got back from seeing "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood" and I loved every bit of it (even the nearly 3 hour runtime!)
Already my favorite Tarantino movie, though I've only seen one other one and it's not even really close to this one.
Got tickets for tomorrow night. Hyped.

What’s the other one, I wonder.

Got tickets for Saturday afternoon; I’m cautiously stoked.

Reactions: oak
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is one of those movies where the end makes it all worth it and come together beautifully. I should have seen it coming but I didn't and I'm glad I didn't. If it had gone any other I don't think I'd have liked it as much. This is definitely one of Tarantino's best imo. Loved it.

I don't think that's true. The endings of Death Proof, Django, and Inglorious Basterds are almost the best parts of each movie.

Haven't seen Django, but let's agree to disagree. Especially Inglorious Basterds, as it's one of my most hated movies of his, and I hate most of his movies. Excuse the analogy, but his movies all feel like ruined orgasms, they build and build and build with all these super fun characters and plots and then they just end suddenly and unsatisfactorily. He has all these great ideas but in my opinion has no idea to give them a conclusion, it never feels right at the end of the film, just like "That's it? Ugh."

I have heard Django is good though, so I'll give it a shot one day.

Haven't seen Django, but let's agree to disagree. Especially Inglorious Basterds, as it's one of my most hated movies of his, and I hate most of his movies. Excuse the analogy, but his movies all feel like ruined orgasms, they build and build and build with all these super fun characters and plots and then they just end suddenly and unsatisfactorily. He has all these great ideas but in my opinion has no idea to give them a conclusion, it never feels right at the end of the film, just like "That's it? Ugh."

I have heard Django is good though, so I'll give it a shot one day.
Whaaat, Inglorious Basterds, IMO, is his masterpiece, and one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time. First time I've seen these takes.

Whaaat, Inglorious Basterds, IMO, is his masterpiece, and one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time. First time I've seen these takes.

I'm not a huge Tarantino fan anyway but I thought that Inglorious Basterds was fairly meh. Enjoyed Once Upon A Time though. Saw it today.

Pulp Fiction is his masterpiece, but Basterds isnt far behind it, and I'm with you in this being the first time I've seen those takes.

build and build and build with all these super fun characters and plots and then they just end suddenly and unsatisfactorily.

I'm curious how you got this out of watching several plot lines converge into
the brutal on screen murder of Hitler, the message spliced into the film, the cinema exploding to avenge Shoshanna, the collapse of the Nazi Party, World War 2 ending, and Landa getting mutilated
(All massively paraphrased). If you aren't familiar with his style I can see how maybe the very final shot may feel a little abrupt and seem a strange spot to roll the credits, but I fail to see the unsatisfactory part. Because the good guys didn't all survive?

Maybe you had Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs more in mind for what I quoted, but you post seemed very pointed at Inglorious Basterds.

Saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood yesterday and I'm still rolling it around in my head. I thought Leo was great, and it was a nice movie to just live in for a little while. I think making a movie about Hollywood let Tarantino really sink into his pop-culture obsessiveness, and while "hitmen who all know every obscure film reference" has its own heightened charm, setting the movie in a world so steeped in that stuff made the whole thing come off a lot more naturalistic.

That said, I don't know what I think of the ending. I think it's not icky in the sense that it serves the movie poorly (though a friend fairly pointed it that it doesn't serve the movie well that Cliff murdered his wife and then beats a woman to death to end the movie), but I do think whether or not the end is distasteful boils down to whether you'd find it distasteful to play "what if?" with the Tate murders; if you find that premise bothersome, it's just not going to sit well with you no matter what happens.

I roll back and forth on the whole thing; this wasn't the cringey ending I'd feared in which Cliff and Rick actually rescue Tate, and even a couple of reviews and comment threads I'd stumbled upon led me to believe that Tate would use her training from Bruce Lee to take out Squeaky and her crew, which would have given Tate more agency. In hindsight, I spent a lot of the movie waiting for her character to be fleshed out and have more of a part in the plot, but wonder if she's just meant to be more symbolic in how remote she is? I definitely read a take from a critic pointing out how the ending just takes Tate's story and makes it Cliff and Rick's.

Either way, the flamethrower was a great moment.

I'm curious how you got this out of watching several plot lines converge into
the brutal on screen murder of Hitler, the message spliced into the film, the cinema exploding to avenge Shoshanna, the collapse of the Nazi Party, World War 2 ending, and Landa getting mutilated
(All massively paraphrased). If you aren't familiar with his style I can see how maybe the very final shot may feel a little abrupt and seem a strange spot to roll the credits, but I fail to see the unsatisfactory part. Because the good guys didn't all survive?

Maybe you had Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs more in mind for what I quoted, but you post seemed very pointed at Inglorious Basterds.
All the awesome characters died in one abrupt scene and there was a pointed lack of Nazi killing for a movie claiming to be about it. They built all these dudes up and then just scrapped them, like he often does. Yeah, she killed Hitler, but that almost seemed silly as I didn't expect the alternate universe angle and had no reason to. So instead of a "Yay" moment it was an "oh... That's where he was going with this?" moment. A bunch of great characters, abrupt and unsatisfactory endings.

Back