Movies

The reviews for The Lion King are uhh not good.
I was cautiously optimisitc... but then I saw that clip going around of them singing Hakuna Matata and it was so... lifeless. I don't think this "live action" should have had any singing. It's not just the great songs that make the movie, but the vibrant visuals and intricate dancing that go with it (hence why the Broadway show does so well). You can't have realistic animals doing that shit, so it will be, and based on that clip is, lacking.

Yeah. Honestly that should maybe sway me from seeing it, but it hasn’t. I already felt like it probably wasn’t going to be good, but I’m just naturally curious about it. The original is such a classic, a staple to me and so many. I’m just interested to see what this one is all about for myself, even though I feel I probably won’t like it at all.

I think the more popular the original movie, the less freedom directors will have on these Disney live-action remakes. So top-tier stuff like Lion King and Beauty and the Beast will just be warmed-up CGI closely following the original, but the Sleeping Beauties and Mulans on the second rung of popularity will be at least a little more interesting/daring in how approach the source material.

I think the more popular the original movie, the less freedom directors will have on these Disney live-action remakes. So top-tier stuff like Lion King and Beauty and the Beast will just be warmed-up CGI closely following the original, but the Sleeping Beauties and Mulans on the second rung of popularity will be at least a little more interesting/daring in how approach the source material.
I can't think of a single "live action" Disney remake that isn't at least moderately inferior to the original tho.

I can't think of a single "live action" Disney remake that isn't at least moderately inferior to the original tho.

Yeah, I'd rather not have all these remakes, but if they're hell-bent on making them, I'd rather have something that tries and fails to do something new than slavish reproductions.

I'm sure I'll see this when it comes out 8 years after the fad has died, like what happened with Slender Man.

Except this is arguably even worse because Momo is pretty much already a dead meme that doesn't have half the potential a movie about Slender Man did.

Watched the original Lion King for the first time in maybe 10 years last night, it's still great, and I fail to see how remaking it with photorealistic animals would improve upon it in any way.
I can't remember if I mentioned it here, but my dream for this remake was for them to go in the direction that the Broadway show goes, and take risks with the costume and set design. The original is one of their most popular, but I think people would still have been open to a different approach like that, considering how popular the stage show is. And it would have been WAY more interesting that what we have now.

Went to the IMAX theater today to see Apollo 11. Going in I was under the impression this was the full documentary, but it sadly was not. Just 45 minutes from it - the highlights I guess? I should have known. Cause the IMAX theater here only has one screen and plays all those gorgeous looking 3D nature films - which all run about 45 mins.

Anyway...aside from that disappointment, it was still a great experience. Seeing it on such a massive screen was awesome, and the footage was fantastic. Now I just have to get the full doc to appreciate the whole thing.

Went ahead and watched Spider-Man too (2? also, as well) and IT IS GOOD. It finds a perfect balance at being a great Spider-Man Story (Jake G NAILS it here) and a good epilogue to Endgame.

THEY DID IT THEY GOT JK SIMMONS BLESS. All of the reveals at the end are so good. Secret identities are out. Skrulls are in. It's all so good.

I guess this is a spoiler too, but it's not surprising in the least. Mysterio's my favorite b-tier Spider-Man villain, and they go all in on him here and it rules. The fights with him in the second half here are some of the zaniest things since Dr. Strange.

Saw it this weekend and loved it! The cast continues to nail all their parts, and I especially love how they handle MJ in this one.

Hopefully that spoiler tag isn't a spoiler itself, but I think it was in a trailer. Anyways, I agree Mysterio was great, and that JK appearance was the best thing I could hope for. Sam L. was also awesome as "Fury" (another great reveal). One of the things that was bugging me in the movie was how excited Peter got when they mentioned the multiverse. My initial thought was "didn't we already discuss this in Endgame?" Dummy me just realized today that he was snapped during all of that and missed out on the conversation.

So Shazam was fun. Why can’t all DC movies be like this.
Glad to hear Shazam was fun, the trailers certainly try to indicate as such. Speaking of DC, I avoided most of the modern movies that they've done, except Wonder Woman. However, when I was on vacation, Justice League was the only thing on in our hotel room one night that didn't make me immediately want to vomit, so I gave it a shot. Felt really underwhelming overall. Maybe I missed something with the other movies, but it really did nothing to grab my attention.

Back