Movies

Yesterday could've, and should've, done something way more interesting than just be a standard rom-com.

I saw Midsommar today, which I was really excited about. It's Ari Aster's second film, after last year's Hereditary - and yeah, you can tell it's made by the same person. There are very similar themes and ideas in this film, but it is also trying to do something different, or at least trying things out in a slightly different genre. So, here's thing: Hereditary had SO much build up and hype that when I saw it I was a little let down. It wasn't scary at all to me. Nor did it give me the overwhelming sense of dread that so many said it did to them. It just felt lacking a little. Having watched it again though, I appreciated it more and would say I really enjoy it. I just think the hype was overblown. What's weird to me is that Midsommar doesn't have nearly the same amount of hype leading up to it, and yet I found it so much more effective than Hereditary. It's so much more fucked up and disturbing. And that feeling of dread is there throughout the entire thing.

At this point, I can't confidently say whether or not I loved it or anything. I gotta sit with it a while. But quickly after it was done, it put me in this strange mood the rest of the night, which is something I was expecting Hereditary to do. This one fucked me up a bit. The gore is far more disturbing and disgusting. And the climax, and build up to it, is much better. Basically, all the things people claimed Hereditary did to them, Midsommar did to me. It will still certainly have people who hate it, but I think it's a pretty creative twist around a horror sub-genre. Is it the most original thing ever? No. Neither was Hereditary. But it's the way Ari Aster builds the film and makes it his own that makes it work so well. It's not scary really, but I found several scenes profoundly unsettling.

And at this point, I am just kind of shocked that it doesn't have that word-of-mouth buzz that Hereditary had cause it's doing largely the same things but to a much more heightened degree.

Edit: oh, also Florence Pugh is excellent in it.

I saw Midsommar today, which I was really excited about. It's Ari Aster's second film, after last year's Hereditary - and yeah, you can tell it's made by the same person. There are very similar themes and ideas in this film, but it is also trying to do something different, or at least trying things out in a slightly different genre. So, here's thing: Hereditary had SO much build up and hype that when I saw it I was a little let down. It wasn't scary at all to me. Nor did it give me the overwhelming sense of dread that so many said it did to them. It just felt lacking a little. Having watched it again though, I appreciated it more and would say I really enjoy it. I just think the hype was overblown. What's weird to me is that Midsommar doesn't have nearly the same amount of hype leading up to it, and yet I found it so much more effective than Hereditary. It's so much more fucked up and disturbing. And that feeling of dread is there throughout the entire thing.

At this point, I can't confidently say whether or not I loved it or anything. I gotta sit with it a while. But quickly after it was done, it put me in this strange mood the rest of the night, which is something I was expecting Hereditary to do. This one fucked me up a bit. The gore is far more disturbing and disgusting. And the climax, and build up to it, is much better. Basically, all the things people claimed Hereditary did to them, Midsommar did to me. It will still certainly have people who hate it, but I think it's a pretty creative twist around a horror sub-genre. Is it the most original thing ever? No. Neither was Hereditary. But it's the way Ari Aster builds the film and makes it his own that makes it work so well. It's not scary really, but I found several scenes profoundly unsettling.

And at this point, I am just kind of shocked that it doesn't have that word-of-mouth buzz that Hereditary had cause it's doing largely the same things but to a much more heightened degree.

Edit: oh, also Florence Pugh is excellent in it.
I just saw this as well. I never saw Hereditary, but I heard nothing but great things as well. I was super into the premise of Midsommar so that had me excited.

I’m in the same camp as you right now. I don’t know that I loved it, but I do think it did at great job at what it was doing. And yea, the lead is fantastic. Also loved seeing Chidi from The Good Place just be.... Chidi from The Good Place

Ultimately I love a movie that’s fun to look at, and this movie is a blast to look at for a few hours.

I just saw this as well. I never saw Hereditary, but I heard nothing but great things as well. I was super into the premise of Midsommar so that had me excited.

I’m in the same camp as you right now. I don’t know that I loved it, but I do think it did at great job at what it was doing. And yea, the lead is fantastic. Also loved seeing Chidi from The Good Place just be.... Chidi from The Good Place

Ultimately I love a movie that’s fun to look at, and this movie is a blast to look at for a few hours.
Can't wait to see this! Hereditary was great and I loved Florence Pugh in The Little Drummer Girl and The Falling. I'm trying to learn as little about the story before seeing it so thanks for being vague about it.

Idk if I loved it as much as Hereditary, which imo is the best horror film of the decade easily, but Midsommar is still pretty damn great. It's beautiful to look at, and it's hilarious and fucked up in equal measure, which is a really disorienting tactic I've never seen in a horror film before.

Good shit.

Went ahead and watched Spider-Man too (2? also, as well) and IT IS GOOD. It finds a perfect balance at being a great Spider-Man Story (Jake G NAILS it here) and a good epilogue to Endgame.

THEY DID IT THEY GOT JK SIMMONS BLESS. All of the reveals at the end are so good. Secret identities are out. Skrulls are in. It's all so good.

I guess this is a spoiler too, but it's not surprising in the least. Mysterio's my favorite b-tier Spider-Man villain, and they go all in on him here and it rules. The fights with him in the second half here are some of the zaniest things since Dr. Strange.

I enjoyed this Spiderman a bit more than the first one. The first one I liked in theaters but I re-watched it a little while after and I think it's low-key and straight forwardness is less of a breath of fresh air removed from the context of it following the bloated, heavy Civil War. I thought this new one was funnier and the twists and turns were more entertaining. I give it 3.75 out of 5 stelle.

Somewhat related to my status I posted a bit ago, I just wanted to say it never ceases to disgust me how people will always find ways to interpret representation of other races as a slight against their own.

Somewhat related to my status I posted a bit ago, I just wanted to say it never ceases to disgust me how people will always find ways to interpret representation of other races as a slight against their own.
View attachment 10379

My wife and I got into a discussion about this "outrage" about the Little Mermaid, and I think this this is more a case of the huge downside of social media. This person has no picture, 7 followers, and has been on Twitter for 8 years. Yes, there are 1,511 "likes" and that's disconcerting, but who knows how many people actually actually in agreement vs. bots and Twitter trolls? Also, 1,511 likes vs. roughly 30 million daily US Twitter users is a minuscule number (0.005% of daily US Twitter users).

I think social media tends to amplify fringes of society and make it seem like racism and other vile forms of hate/discrimination/small mindedness are more prevalent than they actually are. I saw this article and thought it had a nice perspective:

My wife thoroughly disagrees with me and thinks it's a big problem, but I don't see it that way. I try not to get so worked up on what I see on social media because of the way our brains amplify anecdotal evidence of poor behavior and make us think bad things are more common than they actually are. Maybe I'm being naive, but it's what I try to hold on to in order to stay as positive as possible amidst idiocy as seen above.

Back