Movies

Man I was really ready to love A Ghost Story. But several minutes into watching Rooney Mara eat pie, I fell out of tune with the film and never quite found the vibe again. It’s so high concept that if you’re not ready to Take It Very Seriously then it quickly unravels into being goofy.
I hated it frankly, thought it was too far up it’s own ass lol

I loved Birds of Prey! I'm not usually much for spending time watching things I've already seen, but we've already rewatched it twice!

Fair play to you ...I nearly binned it after 30 mins ...for me it ranks along that awful female cast Ghostbusters garbage ....lets make a movie with lots of women for the sake of it ...Ewan McGregor was pitiful as the villain ....it was imho utter dreck ...as was the 1st Suicide Squad ...

Fair play to you ...I nearly binned it after 30 mins ...for me it ranks along that awful female cast Ghostbusters garbage ....lets make a movie with lots of women for the sake of it ...Ewan McGregor was pitiful as the villain ....it was imho utter dreck ...as was the 1st Suicide Squad ...
I loved Ewan McGregor's Black Mask. Totally off the rails, and you could tell Ewan was having a blast. He's both despicable and pathetic. There's zero ambiguity to whether he's really a good person or not, and that's who he needed to be. A truly vile embodiment of toxic masculinity. Not to mention the heavy gay undertones, but that's not central to his villainy—he's just a total trash human.

That said, what this movie does really well is in owning the fact that wasn't made for you or me. But I personally love the fuck out of it! It's a vibrant and irreverent blast and a half.

fc817b28ffb1f87c0516b8b644cb4121bde9ee2b.gifv

Last edited:
I loved Ewan McGregor's Black Mask. Totally off the rails, and you could tell Ewan was having a blast. He's both despicable and pathetic. There's zero ambiguity to whether he's really a good person or not, and that's who he needed to be. A truly vile embodiment of toxic masculinity. Not to mention the heavy gay undertones, but that's not central to his villainy—he's just a total trash human.

That said, what this movie does really well is in owning the fact that wasn't made for you or me. But I personally love the fuck out of it! It's a vibrant and irreverent blast and a half.
One mans feast ….

going to give the 4 hour Justice League a shot next …

....lets make a movie with lots of women for the sake of it ...
Considering how many movies that are out there with tons of men in it for the sake of it (any shoot em up action film ever made), is there an example of a movie you think is good with lots of women in it? Am guessing you feel the same way about Ocean's 8? Perhaps you're just not the target audience, but it feels reductive to automatically dismiss these films as being made "for the sake of it"... that's the kind of mentality that's tearing apart the US right now. Representation still matters whether we feel it's being made in good faith or not.

Considering how many movies that are out there with tons of men in it for the sake of it (any shoot em up action film ever made), is there an example of a movie you think is good with lots of women in it? Am guessing you feel the same way about Ocean's 8? Perhaps you're just not the target audience, but it feels reductive to automatically dismiss these films as being made "for the sake of it"... that's the kind of mentality that's tearing apart the US right now. Representation still matters whether we feel it's being made in good faith or not.
And just so I’m clear, these movies shouldn’t be sheltered from criticism. But if the basis of your criticism is there’s too many women in it, maybe dig a bit deeper to assess what the problem really is.

All movies are made for the sake of it

No problem with movies featuring women, lots of women or men and women ..but Birds of Prey and the Ghostbusters remake seemed to be very much gender politics first and good movie making second ...and they are terrible films imo . ..
Lots of good movies with female leads, I watched Promising Young Woman and thought it was excellent
And yes there are lots of terrible movies with mostly male casts too.....

No problem with movies featuring women, lots of women or men and women ..but Birds of Prey and the Ghostbusters remake seemed to be very much gender politics first and good movie making second ...and they are terrible films imo . ..
Lots of good movies with female leads, I watched Promising Young Woman and thought it was excellent
Gotta ask yourself why that particular area or perspective of politics rubs you the wrong way as opposed to any other politics or political views countless movies reflect, overtly or subtly.

Then the question is why you feel these movies are bad because of their gender politics. Placing that to the side, I'm sure you could make a case that these are good films based on the merit of entertainment and story-telling. Given their Rotten Tomatoes scores are both certified fresh, one could surmise that A. All critics are paid off and influenced by the woke lamestream media or B. They stand on their own as a piece of accomplished filmmaking with convincing performances.

Looking over to IMDb, which no doubt leans predominantly male, and those RT scores do not translate. To the point where the movies are universally panned (Ghostbusters is bouncing back a bit though after the initial unfounded backlash died down). Some folks that vote for these movies haven't even seen the films, which is also why RT got rid of the audience scores leading up to a release.

Then the opposite can be said about the Joker movie. No matter which way you cut it, gender politics of any kind is a manufactured narrative created by the canon gatekeepers (mostly male) to find a way to continue to put women down. No other way around it.

I watched 'Nobody' tonight and it was surprisingly fantastic.

Nothing new in terms of plot (think John Wick) and it's actually very predictable BUT it's still really fun. High octane, plenty of fight scenes, Home Alone for adults type booby-trapping.

Watched this with my whole family last night on vacation and really enjoyed it. We have Suicide Squad on right now and I'm here, so that might be telling you something...

Then the question is why you feel these movies are bad because of their gender politics. Placing that to the side, I'm sure you could make a case that these are good films based on the merit of entertainment and story-telling. Given their Rotten Tomatoes scores are both certified fresh, one could surmise that A. All critics are paid off and influenced by the woke lamestream media or B. They stand on their own as a piece of accomplished filmmaking with convincing performances.

Looking over to IMDb, which no doubt leans predominantly male, and those RT scores do not translate. To the point where the movies are universally panned (Ghostbusters is bouncing back a bit though after the initial unfounded backlash died down). Some folks that vote for these movies haven't even seen the films, which is also why RT got rid of the audience scores leading up to a release.

Then the opposite can be said about the Joker movie. No matter which way you cut it, gender politics of any kind is a manufactured narrative created by the canon gatekeepers (mostly male) to find a way to continue to put women down. No other way around it.
Wait - are you saying that Ghostbusters 2016 remake is a “piece of accomplished filmmaking with convincing performances” or was that sarcasm that I missed?

I’m sorry, but, having seen that movie, I cannot agree. I haven’t seen Birds of Prey and thought I’d heard it was good but I’m not going to call that ghostbusters movie “accomplished”. It has a 2.5 on letterboxd, which means more to me than those rotten tomatoes scores. Birds of prey only has a 3.3 - which is decent, but not like “this is an important film” territory.

I also didn’t read Gavaxeman’s comment as saying that he didn’t like the movies because of their “gender politics” - he just didn’t like them as movies, and didn’t think the all-female cast was a convincing reason to think the movies were better than they actually were. If he was talking about Bridesmaids in this conversation, I’d be more inclined to disagree.

On another note, Jungle Cruise was a fun little movie going detour. Honestly felt like an Indiana Jones movie with Emily Blunt and The Rock, who imo are a very pleasant duo to give some attention to. Great fun if you need a break from all the serious flicks

Back