Movies

Finally saw Sound of Metal which all y'all raved about. It was...... fine. I was much more interested in the deaf and music elements than the typical addict story which weirdly dominated.
I still can't beieve Riz did not win

Been rolling The Green Knight around in my head since seeing it last night. On the fence whether it's a full five stars or simply a near-perfect four-and-a-half. As a kid I was super into King Arthur; I remember devouring The Once and Future King, then trying the epic poem of Gawain and the Green Knight and being completely baffled. So I'd consider this a highly successful adaptation, as I found myself both enthralled and confused as hell. Great flick.

But I was a little thrown by one thing in the story, really a minor confusion more than a quibble. When Barry Keoghan takes the horse and the axe, when does Gawain get the axe back? I don't remember a part where he explicitly retrieves it, but it was a late screening and the movie got me in my head a bit so I may have missed it.

I watched 'Devil' last night (the 2010 M. Night Shyamalan film) and actually really enjoyed it.

As much as anything I really enjoyed how it was pretty much all contained within the elevator car, and the thriller aspect of 'who done it'. Does anyone have any recommendations of films like this? I'm not really bothered about the horror aspect, but certainly the thriller side of it. Films like 'Phonebooth', etc.

Cheers

I watched 'Devil' last night (the 2010 M. Night Shyamalan film) and actually really enjoyed it.

As much as anything I really enjoyed how it was pretty much all contained within the elevator car, and the thriller aspect of 'who done it'. Does anyone have any recommendations of films like this? I'm not really bothered about the horror aspect, but certainly the thriller side of it. Films like 'Phonebooth', etc.

Cheers
Does the action need to be confined to an elevator or phone booth? If not, Knives Out was a great whodunnit movie.

Last edited:
Not at all!

Knives Out is one that I have seen but have meaning to watch again, thanks for the reminder. I believe there is going to be a second one at some point!
If you enjoyed that you may also like Brick. It’s a fun whodunnit by the same director, Rian Johnson. Some are annoyed by the hardboiled noir dialogue but if you can get past that it’s a nice twisty movie.

Been rolling The Green Knight around in my head since seeing it last night. On the fence whether it's a full five stars or simply a near-perfect four-and-a-half. As a kid I was super into King Arthur; I remember devouring The Once and Future King, then trying the epic poem of Gawain and the Green Knight and being completely baffled. So I'd consider this a highly successful adaptation, as I found myself both enthralled and confused as hell. Great flick.

But I was a little thrown by one thing in the story, really a minor confusion more than a quibble. When Barry Keoghan takes the horse and the axe, when does Gawain get the axe back? I don't remember a part where he explicitly retrieves it, but it was a late screening and the movie got me in my head a bit so I may have missed it.
Right here with you! I’m a bit conflicted, it was very good, maybe a bit slow compared to what I expected going in. I feel like the ending fumbled it and kept it from being absolutely stellar, there was overall a punch to the movie that I kept expecting but never received. Perhaps I was just craving some visceral combat/revenge sequences or an epic duel between him and the Green Knight.

As for the axe, he received it when he left Lady Gwenifer’s. He turned around after completing his quest there and it was propped up against a pillar of the house. I believe this was implying that the man that beheaded Lady Gwenifer was the same man who stole the axe but he left it behind when he fled.

I really had a harsh dislike for the Green Knight and I loved A Ghost Story. I’ll say this, if you do go to this and you’re like me and, to be frank, never cared or read any of the Arthurian lore, do yourself a favor and read/watch before going in. There seems to be a correlation between people who knew the base going in and could take Lowery’s interpretation in that vein as opposed to a stand-alone product.

I spent so much energy trying to parse what the hell was happening or waiting for the slow burn to…well…burn that it was hard to get into the deeper themes others seemed to love.

Finally got around to watching The Quiet Place II, I enjoyed it, it had a nice prequel segment that connected some dots, it moved along well, but at a certain point I started to sense the setup for part III and it soured the tail end of the movie for me. The revelation of the "weakness" and safety were great, but the inevitable happened, which started to make me feel like they were milking it and it started to take on the zombie movie formula of it never ending.

It was still fun, don't get me wrong, if you saw the OG you should watch part II, but I wish some movies, no matter how popular would just stop at 2 if they really feel they need to wrap things up, they could have done this here but opted for another payday.

Finally got around to watching The Quiet Place II, I enjoyed it, it had a nice prequel segment that connected some dots, it moved along well, but at a certain point I started to sense the setup for part III and it soured the tail end of the movie for me. The revelation of the "weakness" and safety were great, but the inevitable happened, which started to make me feel like they were milking it and it started to take on the zombie movie formula of it never ending.

It was still fun, don't get me wrong, if you saw the OG you should watch part II, but I wish some movies, no matter how popular would just stop at 2 if they really feel they need to wrap things up, they could have done this here but opted for another payday.
Spoilers -
I do like the bit of background story we got out of it like Emmett's story and the whole prequel sequence but that whole across the water part seems almost like a MacGuffin and they made it like such a big thing.

I had two two families I know visiting Iceland recently and another over this week. It makes me want to go, but for now watch this for the 10th time.

I've been lucky enough to visit some amazing places across the world and Iceland is up there as one of my favourites. I definitely want to go back one day, its just amazing.

A True Life period piece with a star studded cast (Lady Gaga, Jared Leto(!), Al Pacino(!!), etc…), wearing over the top make up and wigs, bad Italian accents, directed by Ridley Scott… where do I sign up!?!!

A True Life period piece with a star studded cast (Lady Gaga, Jared Leto(!), Al Pacino(!!), etc…), wearing over the top make up and wigs, bad Italian accents, directed by Ridley Scott… where do I sign up!?!!

I was in before, but I was fully in when you have Gaga say, with an extremely russian sounding mob girlfriend accent:

"Father Son, and House of Guicci"

Back