Movies

Last edited:
unpopular opinion here i am sharing for no other reason than it's fresh in my mind and i feel like word vomiting about it into the internet void-

the movie ratatouille sucks. to this day i can't understand the seemingly majority opinion that this is one of pixar's better films, if not the best. i can get behind the message- brad bird is very good at 'you are who you choose to be' and fulfilling your dreams despite whatever obstacles present themselves. i can see why foodies and starving artists would gravitate toward it. but for me it is a slog to get through- i do not enjoy the premise at all (the marionetting reeeally stretches my suspension of disbelief, even for an animated film with no 'rules'), i am not at all into cooking or am any sort of food aficionado, and the animation style and characters themselves just don't stand out as anything remotely special and/or interesting enough to make the film as a whole stand out among the best pixar has to offer. clearly it's not a move made for me, and that's a-ok, but the mostly universal praise it seems to garner is just utterly lost on me. even googling -ratatouille not good movie- yields more results about how it's the best pixar film than it does about not being a good movie. ultimately, i guess i am the out-of-touch principal skinner here and "it's the [millions and millions of ratatouille lovers] who are wrong!".

About Ratatouille. I did end up rewatching it because I haven't seen it in a long time and remembered I really enjoyed it. I wanted to see if I still feel the same way about it and honestly I still think it's a great movie to this day. Can't speak for most other people but I can tell you why I liked it and why I think a lot of people enjoy it as well. I feel like a huge part of the appeal is definitely the food / cooking aspect - which may seem kinda niche but a lot of people love food and love watching food shows / movies. I'd bet you if you drew a venn diagram, there would be a huge overlap between people who enjoy food network & this movie. Even if you don't like cooking, you have to appreciate the work and the creativity that goes into making a dish. I think the movie really captures that and its magnified because its a rat marionetting a garbage boy that works in the spirit of a slowly disgraced master chef trying to revive his restaurant and make a name for himself. Something kinda magical about that.. I'd say this movie stays in the spirit of a lot of pixar / disney movies in the feel. And about the part regarding suspension of belief, I honestly can't think of any pixar movie where there wasn't any suspension of belief. You don't watch it for the realism, you watch it for the fantasy. To give some perspective (even tho we're fresh out - critic joke from the movie), I was not a kid when this came out but I was one at some point.

I watched the Summer Of Soul last night. What a fantastic docu-film. Completely incredible how such a large-scale, big named concert went ahead with little to no coverage (until now). Well worth seeing!

Stevie Wonder, Sly and the Family Stone, Nina Simone, B.B. King, the Staple Singers, the 5th Dimension, David Ruffin, Mahalia Jackson and Gladys Knight and the Pips, Max Roach, Sonny Sharrock.....

Summer-of-Soul-Poster.jpeg

Watched Gunpowder Milkshake last night. It was actually quite a good movie, much better than I expected. For a Netflix original film, it felt like something I would go to see in the theaters.

I watched the Summer Of Soul last night. What a fantastic docu-film. Completely incredible how such a large-scale, big named concert went ahead with little to no coverage (until now). Well worth seeing!

Stevie Wonder, Sly and the Family Stone, Nina Simone, B.B. King, the Staple Singers, the 5th Dimension, David Ruffin, Mahalia Jackson and Gladys Knight and the Pips, Max Roach, Sonny Sharrock.....

View attachment 106163

Gospel day was amazing! Do you think they should of kept the title Black Woodstock or they would of gotten sued ?

Been a great month for music movies (SOS), The Sparks Brothers, and McCartney 3,2,1 this week, The best is yet to come I think Aug 26th...Get Back baby!

Gospel day was amazing! Do you think they should of kept the title Black Woodstock or they would of gotten sued ?

Been a great month for music movies (SOS), The Sparks Brothers, and McCartney 3,2,1 this week, The best is yet to come I think Aug 26th...Get Back baby!
It sounds like the government 'allowed it' to run to just calm down tensions but I'm not sure they would have been happy with Black Woodstock (even though it's a fitting title). I wish some of the performances would have been properly recorded, it would make a great set.

Lots to watch!!

It sounds like the government 'allowed it' to run to just calm down tensions but I'm not sure they would have been happy with Black Woodstock (even though it's a fitting title). I wish some of the performances would have been properly recorded, it would make a great set.

Lots to watch!!
I saw some of the original tape boxes marked with that title.

This says not to though

Another article some might like to read

Not gonna lie: Lynch’s Dune is basically incomprehensible, a two hour movie with a 100 minute first act, and I had a hell of a good time watching it. The way it occasionally alights upon moments of real visual poetry amid the mess buoys it against true failure. I found myself shouting ‘that’s fuckin’ cool!’ at the screen more times than I anticipated.

Not gonna lie: Lynch’s Dune is basically incomprehensible, a two hour movie with a 100 minute first act, and I had a hell of a good time watching it. The way it occasionally alights upon moments of real visual poetry amid the mess buoys it against true failure. I found myself shouting ‘that’s fuckin’ cool!’ at the screen more times than I anticipated.
Top tier stoned rewatchability

Tried both pen and gummies on different nights, and it did a fine job on everyone else partaking, so I dunno.

I mean, it was fine, but I'm just as happy with a drink in hand.
Ah that's not the real shit.

Plus it's a reported thing where the first time or two you don't know if you feel anything or not. Usually one time you will get REALLY high and then after that know how to modulate before that point. But do your thing.

Ah that's not the real shit.

Plus it's a reported thing where the first time or two you don't know if you feel anything or not. Usually one time you will get REALLY high and then after that know how to modulate before that point. But do your thing.
Yeah, I'm not here to harsh anyone's mellow. :LOL:

The original Nosferatu is one of my favorite movies ever made, so I finally decided to give the Herzog version a go. It's really well made and a solid adaptation of the Dracula story, but I find it ironic that a movie made over 50 years later somehow feels more dated than the silent version from almost 100 years ago. I suppose that's more a testament to the fact the original is such a timeless and influential horror film, it'd be hard for any film to fully recapture it. That said, as far as remakes go, I think it does justice to the original film while still being it's own thing. Klaus Kinski is still creepy as shit as Dracula, but in a more pathetic and awkward way than Count Orlock was in the original. It's certainly an interesting interpretation of the character.

Back