Movies

I definitely fell asleep during Age of Ultron as well. It felt so random and forgettable. I probably need to rewatch it now and maybe it would make more sense.
I've got a promo disney+ acct and have been rewatching some stuff and there's a lot of tiny references to later movies in the earlier movies. That part of it is interesting. The ending made more sense after watching it.

unpopular opinion here i am sharing for no other reason than it's fresh in my mind and i feel like word vomiting about it into the internet void-

the movie ratatouille sucks. to this day i can't understand the seemingly majority opinion that this is one of pixar's better films, if not the best. i can get behind the message- brad bird is very good at 'you are who you choose to be' and fulfilling your dreams despite whatever obstacles present themselves. i can see why foodies and starving artists would gravitate toward it. but for me it is a slog to get through- i do not enjoy the premise at all (the marionetting reeeally stretches my suspension of disbelief, even for an animated film with no 'rules'), i am not at all into cooking or am any sort of food aficionado, and the animation style and characters themselves just don't stand out as anything remotely special and/or interesting enough to make the film as a whole stand out among the best pixar has to offer. clearly it's not a move made for me, and that's a-ok, but the mostly universal praise it seems to garner is just utterly lost on me. even googling -ratatouille not good movie- yields more results about how it's the best pixar film than it does about not being a good movie. ultimately, i guess i am the out-of-touch principal skinner here and "it's the [millions and millions of ratatouille lovers] who are wrong!".

unpopular opinion here i am sharing for no other reason than it's fresh in my mind and i feel like word vomiting about it into the internet void-

the movie ratatouille sucks. to this day i can't understand the seemingly majority opinion that this is one of pixar's better films, if not the best. i can get behind the message- brad bird is very good at 'you are who you choose to be' and fulfilling your dreams despite whatever obstacles present themselves. i can see why foodies and starving artists would gravitate toward it. but for me it is a slog to get through- i do not enjoy the premise at all (the marionetting reeeally stretches my suspension of disbelief, even for an animated film with no 'rules'), i am not at all into cooking or am any sort of food aficionado, and the animation style and characters themselves just don't stand out as anything remotely special and/or interesting enough to make the film as a whole stand out among the best pixar has to offer. clearly it's not a move made for me, and that's a-ok, but the mostly universal praise it seems to garner is just utterly lost on me. even googling -ratatouille not good movie- yields more results about how it's the best pixar film than it does about not being a good movie. ultimately, i guess i am the out-of-touch principal skinner here and "it's the [millions and millions of ratatouille lovers] who are wrong!".
I was mid on this film when i saw it as a kid-I think it's one of the handful of Pixar films that speaks more to adults than kids, so that makes sense.

But then it was one of the first films we dissected in my high school film class when we were first learning about theme and symbols, etc, and it has EASILY rocketed in my personal Pixar top 5 since then. Sure, I wouldn't say that the characters are the most memorable, but the writing, pacing and overall loving detail throughout the whole thing make it top tier Pixar imo. One of my favorite messages too; such a warm movie.

I will latch onto this review as my reasoning for not seeing the movie yet. It just never called to me. I've also never seen any of the Cars or Monsters, Inc franchise films. Thank you for your understanding in these trying times.

One thing that I miss about older Pixar films is how extraordinary the writing used to be.

It's usually still pretty decent (TS4 and Soul being recent, pretty good standouts), but man there was a magic formula to pretty much everything Toy Story 3 and earlier. Classes could be taught on how layered and tight the screenplays for Wall-E, Toy Story, Ratatouille and Monsters, Inc are. There's not only an emotional core to them, but they're also whip-smart and funny as fuck (especially the first couple Toy Stories and Monsters, Inc). I miss that, man. I'm glad other folks like Sony Animation Studios have been stepping up to the plate recently.

While we're on the animated train, does anyone plan to unironically stream the new Space Jam? Corny humor aside, I'll probably tune in just because it seems like it would be relatively entertaining and I'm not looking for anything to poke my brain box. Reviews are a mixed bag as expected.

While we're on the animated train, does anyone plan to unironically stream the new Space Jam? Corny humor aside, I'll probably tune in just because it seems like it would be relatively entertaining and I'm not looking for anything to poke my brain box. Reviews are a mixed bag as expected.
I enjoy the original Space Jam, so I may stream (not pay for) it. Expect it to be about on par with the first (bad).

One thing that I miss about older Pixar films is how extraordinary the writing used to be.

It's usually still pretty decent (TS4 and Soul being recent, pretty good standouts), but man there was a magic formula to pretty much everything Toy Story 3 and earlier. Classes could be taught on how layered and tight the screenplays for Wall-E, Toy Story, Ratatouille and Monsters, Inc are. There's not only an emotional core to them, but they're also whip-smart and funny as fuck (especially the first couple Toy Stories and Monsters, Inc). I miss that, man. I'm glad other folks like Sony Animation Studios have been stepping up to the plate recently.

this made me think about pixar movies, and i don't think i've fully enjoyed one since wall-e. up and inside-out were pretty close to 'fully enjoyable' for me (admittedly i haven't seen a good chunk of the sequels or standalones from the last 4-5 years, only ts4 and finding dory). the only one i want to make a point to see yet is soul, i've gotten the sense that i'm not missing much by not seeing any of the others.

still blown away by how much spiderman: into the spiderverse surprised and impressed me. never really cared for spiderman at all, and went in to that movie not expecting much other than to hopefully enjoy it but my god that is probably one of the best new movies i've seen in recent memory. i wish i had seen it in a proper theater.

My issue is dumb and probably just my issue but why does it have to be CGI Loony Tunes? I get that CGI is the prevailing animation style currently but old school animation can still be magical, especially with these characters.

My issue is dumb and probably just my issue but why does it have to be CGI Loony Tunes? I get that CGI is the prevailing animation style currently but old school animation can still be magical, especially with these characters.
I know Looney Tunes: Back in Action, which was live action with non-CGI animation, was a huge failure commercially. It’s been 20 years but I wonder if they’d look at that as a reason to not try a classic animation feel going forward.

I know Looney Tunes: Back in Action, which was live action with non-CGI animation, was a huge failure commercially. It’s been 20 years but I wonder if they’d look at that as a reason to not try a classic animation feel going forward.
I blame Brenden Fraser and Jenna Elfman for that not a traditionally animated Daffy Duck.

I loved Back in Action as a kid but haven't seen it in years. I'm sure it isn't nearly as good as I thought it was when I was younger but I always preferred it to Space Jam. I would be slightly curious to see how it holds up now 🤔

I watched it at the weekend and really enjoyed it. Interesting post-credit ending as well!
Should've called it Yelena and the Black Widow.

The more I think about the movie, the more I don't like it.

For the number of times the movie was delayed, they could've taken another pass at editing. Maybe they took one too many 🤷🏻‍♂️

We've seen the post-credits ending before. But you know what they say over at Marvel: Stick to the formula!

At least I could watch it at home.

Back