Movies

Anyone know how I can stream Kids or The Basketball Diaries? These seems to be 2 controversial films that are getting buried. Even buying used DVDs seems out of reach for the most part

Haven’t been in that game in YEARS. But if I gotta Vuze then I gotta Vuze*

*in an effort to seem cool, the author used vuze as this was the last BitTorrent client he used 10 years ago.
Fuck man, I still use The Pirate Bay for most of my torrent needs.

Last edited:
FINALLY gave Fight Club a watch, and I very much regret sleeping on it for so long. That plot twist is insane!

Also rewatched Onibaba last night. If you want a really good, atmospheric, old-school Japanese drama/kinda horror movie, I recommend this a lot
I am Jack’s complete lack of surprise…
D3B7C49F-0FF3-4AFB-A6AB-C45738371301.gif

I watched Searching - This is the thriller movie with John Cho that's 100% in the style of computer webcam / phone cam etc. I liked the story / Twist a lot, i didn't see it coming at all. But I thought the style it was filmed was a bit distracting. I thought it would it would have been a better movie if done conventionally but I get that it's a stylistic choice and a lower budget film. Also if they had a choice of movie to implement this style this would be it - its just not for me is all. Overall, I still liked it though.

We rented Black Widow this weekend. It was fine. Better than every recent DC movie I've seen. David Harbour and Florence Pugh were the best parts of the movie, Taskmaster was the worst part... aside from Black Widow apparently being invulnerable to everything.

I'd wait until it's included on D+ in October if you're on the fence about seeing it.

We rented Black Widow this weekend. It was fine. Better than every recent DC movie I've seen. David Harbour and Florence Pugh were the best parts of the movie, Taskmaster was the worst part... aside from Black Widow apparently being invulnerable to everything.

I'd wait until it's included on D+ in October if you're on the fence about seeing it.
If the The Suicide Squad is successful, I could see the momentum shift back to DC if they can figure out that formula. Marvel has become too much of the same, witty characters without too much of an edge (basically Deadpool for kids). At some point who does it appeal to besides maybe hardcore comic book lovers and kids. Idk just venting aloud

Taskmaster was the worst part
There's an appeal to the idea, someone who can match the fighting style of anyone they study...

But how do you convey that visually? They telegraph it a bit with the shield and by the introduction scene including analysis footage of Hawkeye but to general audiences, how do you show this character's mastery of fighting styles without first establishing what these fighting styles *are*? If the movies don't give you a clear fighting "vocabulary" for the characters, then it's hard to tell if Taskmaster is a perfect mimic, or just good at fighting, like a cut-rate Winter Soldier.

The whole concept is probably better suited to something like a martial arts movie where different fighting styles are already woven into the language of the film. But even then, the more screentime you have to devote to explaining what Taskmaster is doing, the less time you have to actually show what Taskmaster is doing and advance the plot.

I did like the attention to detail that even though Taskmaster is clearly shown as being skilled with the shield, the shield itself is inferior to Captain America's.

I also enjoyed it, but wouldn't rank it in the top half of MCU films. It also would have been better had it been made back before Infinity War... or even earlier, but 🤷‍♂️...

There's an appeal to the idea, someone who can match the fighting style of anyone they study...

But how do you convey that visually? They telegraph it a bit with the shield and by the introduction scene including analysis footage of Hawkeye but to general audiences, how do you show this character's mastery of fighting styles without first establishing what these fighting styles *are*? If the movies don't give you a clear fighting "vocabulary" for the characters, then it's hard to tell if Taskmaster is a perfect mimic, or just good at fighting, like a cut-rate Winter Soldier.

The whole concept is probably better suited to something like a martial arts movie where different fighting styles are already woven into the language of the film. But even then, the more screentime you have to devote to explaining what Taskmaster is doing, the less time you have to actually show what Taskmaster is doing and advance the plot.

I did like the attention to detail that even though Taskmaster is clearly shown as being skilled with the shield, the shield itself is inferior to Captain America's.
Certainly a valid criticism of the way this version of the character was presented.
I was hoping that they would use the whole "Red Guardian has been in prison this whole time and there isn't any footage of him fighting" to give him an upper hand (aside from his super strength/speed) but they didn't do that. Or maybe even have Taskmaster handily end one of the main characters with a signature Widow move or something to give some weight to their strengths. But they didn't do that either. In the comics one of the only people who can defeat the Taskmaster in hand to hand is Deadpool, as he's too unpredictable, but Taskmaster is a very different version in the comics. I just felt like they underutilized the character and then explained away their abilities with technology, which in an already crazy Marvel Universe seemed unnecessary.

Old was a fun time at the movies, a pretty decent two-hour Twilight Zone episode. I really like Shyamalan's insistence on showy camera work and blunt dialogue delivered as unconvincingly as possible. I don't quite get what people find so infuriating about his movies; maybe there's a self-serious "auteur" edge put on his name, but in a world where most popular film is overloaded with explanations, rules, and empty overtures towards "gritty, adult storytelling," watching movies by a filmmaker actively playing with their audience is a rare thing.

Realistically, movie was a B-minus, but I found it absolutely entertaining.

I really like Shyamalan's insistence on showy camera work and blunt dialogue delivered as unconvincingly as possible.
Basically the only reason The Happening is so fascinating to me. It’s so bad it’s good and the only explanation I can think of is he asked the actors to deliver lines as if they were a sociopath that was constantly experiencing a brain hemorrhage.

I don't quite get what people find so infuriating about his movies;
For me it’s his incessant need to overly explain everything. He treats his audience like they’re a bunch of children with ADD and if your going to make plot twists/reveals as your calling card you better not make them so forced and obvious. He would rather be seen as “clever auteur” than make good movies.

Every movie he has made would have worked much better as a hour long episode of the Twilight Zone. And even then Rod Sterling woulda probably had to step in and prod him to leave some of the mystery up to the audience for interpretation.

Also, I REALLY hated Signs. The ham-fisted spiritualism was bad enough but the idea that an advanced race of alien beings would travel down to a planet that is 70% water; a substance so prevalent that it literally rains down from the sky regularly, and didn’t realize that substance was poisonous to them… it’s so fucking stupid. “Swing Away” FFS that movie makes me angry just thinking about it.

Last edited:
I appreciate the nuanced analyses of why Shyamalan movies are bad. But I feel it's kinda like if I eat some shit no once is going to ask me to explain the depth of flavors and why I don't like them. People will just accept it 'cause, ya know, it's shit I ate.

Pretty much my feeling on his movies. Just watch one. They're shit.

Back