Movies

trying to catch up on the indies before i go on vacation. saw "the last black man in san francisco" last night.

powerful mediative movie about friendship, gentrification and finding home. not all of it works but if youre a fan of beale street or blindspotting, worth checking out.

Watched about 1/3 of the Rolling Thunder Revue, then ruined it for myself by googling it. Somehow, knowing they added in a lot of fiction really drained me of my interest in the story. The concert footage was really good, though.

Toy Story 4 is great, and thank god for that, i can finally sleep at night knowing this.
Just saw it too and I am
surprised that woody left with Bo. I understand but I honestly was expecting woody to stay loyal to Bonnie for the “safe” ending for Pixar.

I’d probably rank them worst to best: 3,4,1,2.

Toy Story 4 was amazing. I know they scientifically engineer these movies to make you cry but my lord I don’t think my eyes were dry for a single moment once it started.

I’m usually in the camp of no Pixar sequels, but I’m fully on board for an endless supply of Toy Story (and Incredibles tbh) movies until the end of time.

If I had to rank the Toy Storys, it would probably just be 1, 2, 3, 4, but even then 4 is a solid 8/10. Best series of animated films probably ever.

If I had to rank the Toy Storys, it would probably just be 1, 2, 3, 4, but even then 4 is a solid 8/10. Best series of animated films probably ever.
It’s probably not a stretch to say it’s the best film series in general at this point, right? I wouldn’t claim to have seen everything and even plenty of “essential” films, but if I had to pick, I don’t think there’s a series that is consistently top-tier, as universally loved, and tells such relatable stories film after film. “Best” is such a silly competition with films, but I feel pretty solid about Toy Story.

Just a PSA for anyone who has any movies with an Ultraviolet Digital Copy they have yet to claim.

Ultraviolet is shutting down on July 31st, 2019. All digital copy codes must be redeemed by then or they will forever no longer be redeemable. If you have already redeemed a movie you are good. They are not the company that provides you movie locker / streams. It most likely is Vudu or Movies Anywhere and you will continue to have access to movies you have already redeemed.

Also FYI. If you have any codes that have already expired, they are likely still redeemable through July 31st. I just redeemed some that expired as far back as 2013 last week 👀

It’s probably not a stretch to say it’s the best film series in general at this point, right? I wouldn’t claim to have seen everything and even plenty of “essential” films, but if I had to pick, I don’t think there’s a series that is consistently top-tier, as universally loved, and tells such relatable stories film after film. “Best” is such a silly competition with films, but I feel pretty solid about Toy Story.

I'd like to posit Mad Max is a pretty great series (I pray we get more); it's auteur-driven and there's only one film that resembles a dud. John Wick might be my favorite current film series going, since the inherent ridiculousness inoculates it from collapsing upon itself.

So to kill some time today while I’m stuck in Atlanta with nowhere to go, I decided to check out the new Child’s Play movie. I’ve seen a handful of the other ones, but I wouldn’t call myself a fan. Some that I’ve seen are awful, some are decent, but none evoke strong reactions from me. Having said all that, I had no expectations for this reboot. In the end, I found it kind of fun, mostly okay, with some problems throughout. The friend characters, the cop character, even Andy and his mom could use some fleshing out. Things just happen and escalate, and mostly I enjoyed it. The thing is, it kind of feels like a rough cut, or even first draft of the script. It’s not offensively bad or anything, just a little unremarkable and not likely to stick out. The conceit of Chuckie constantly wanting to please Andy and staying in that mode of childlike for most of the film works for me though.

Anyway...I still have an hour and a half to kill and this traffic has been doing my head in. So I’m currently taking some WiFi from a Starbucks.

Saw Toy Story 4 last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Although they've essentially made the same movie four times (similar plot structure, different locations/higher stakes), it didn't bother me. Cause it remains consistently fun, funny, poignant, and just really really good. I could nitpick I guess, but why bother when I left just feeling good. There's nothing I can complain about really. For me personally, this is right alongside the third one as best in the series. Yeah, one is great, but I've seen it so so so many times it just doesn't hold that spark for me anymore. 2 is also great. They're all great!

One tiny thing I would say about the new one though is that I didn't find it very emotional at the end. This is likely because of how it was built up so much as being this really heavy emotional climax, and yeah it just didn't get there for me. Tom Hanks said something like he had difficulty getting the lines out because of how emotional it was, but I didn't feel that much at all. I think had it not been build up in this way, I wouldn't have this minor issue. The third one was much more a heavy, emotional ending for me.

Saw Toy Story 4 last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Although they've essentially made the same movie four times (similar plot structure, different locations/higher stakes), it didn't bother me. Cause it remains consistently fun, funny, poignant, and just really really good. I could nitpick I guess, but why bother when I left just feeling good. There's nothing I can complain about really. For me personally, this is right alongside the third one as best in the series. Yeah, one is great, but I've seen it so so so many times it just doesn't hold that spark for me anymore. 2 is also great. They're all great!

One tiny thing I would say about the new one though is that I didn't find it very emotional at the end. This is likely because of how it was built up so much as being this really heavy emotional climax, and yeah it just didn't get there for me. Tom Hanks said something like he had difficulty getting the lines out because of how emotional it was, but I didn't feel that much at all. I think had it not been build up in this way, I wouldn't have this minor issue. The third one was much more a heavy, emotional ending for me.
This ending hit me way harder than I remember 3 doing, but that might just be a recency thing. I think this one is doing more interesting stuff in a similar framework as the others. The whole plot is pushed by Woody's personal struggles instead of the whole "WE HAVE TO GET BACK TO ANDY" thing. I think I found the ending we get here to be more interesting and surprising than 3. Something about checking back in with these characters after the perfect closure in 3, seeing that things aren't actually perfect, and watching Woody work through it all felt really cathartic.

Back