MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Hello. I'm curious if anyone had tried Nagaoka MP-200 (or MP-300) with the Ultradeck? Especially curious if you also run Ultratracker cart previously (which is what I'm using now) and could compare the sound of the two carts?

My preamp is Slee Accession which has a highly resolved, detailed sound but a bit on a lean side. With Slee, Ultratracker always sounded a little analytical and from what I heard, Mastertracker is more musical, so this could be a no-brainer upgrade. But I'm also thinking about Nagaoka because of its relatively low compliance and because I heard that it tends to sound slightly on a warm side (which may complement the Accession nicely.) In terms of price, I expect both carts to cost about the same (Mastertracker is more expensive but I expect its ML needle should also last twice as long vs. the elliptical one on MP-200/300).

Appreciate your input.
I like the MP-300 on my PLX-1000; others can weigh in on use with the Ultradeck. I can elaborate as needed.

Thanks and good to know. Curious if you had a chance to change the stylus yet and if so, how many hours did you put on the previous one before replacement?
I just started using the MP-300 a couple of months ago, moving from an Ortofon 2M Blue. I purchased it used with an intent to move up to the MP-500 stylus once the elliptical wore out. I bought it with about 300 hours on it; Nagaoka recommends replacing at 500 hours. At 300+ hours, it is just a smidgen more warm and smooth than the 2M Blue, without losing the detail.

Honestly, at retail, I would not pay the difference between the two cartridges to get the extra warmth. At retail pricing, I would shift from the 2M Blue to the Hana EH even though the stylus has to be re-tipped when worn.

Hello. I'm curious if anyone had tried Nagaoka MP-200 (or MP-300) with the Ultradeck? Especially curious if you also run Ultratracker cart previously (which is what I'm using now) and could compare the sound of the two carts?

My preamp is Slee Accession which has a highly resolved, detailed sound but a bit on a lean side. With Slee, Ultratracker always sounded a little analytical and from what I heard, Mastertracker is more musical, so this could be a no-brainer upgrade. But I'm also thinking about Nagaoka because of its relatively low compliance and because I heard that it tends to sound slightly on a warm side (which may complement the Accession nicely.) In terms of price, I expect both carts to cost about the same (Mastertracker is more expensive but I expect its ML needle should also last twice as long vs. the elliptical one on MP-200/300).

Appreciate your input.
I'm running a MP-200 on a Studiodeck. I don't have experience with a lot of different cartridges, but I am pleased with the Naga. I was used to the brighter sound of my Signet, but I do get high end detail. I find the MP-200 detailed with a lovely midrange, and non fatiguing, I can easily listen for hours. I did get a Darlington Labs MP-7 which opened up the top end from my previous phono stage.

Very helpful! I almost ordered the Nag ;)
Despite the experience @notjhill had with his MP-200, I have heard very few disparagements of the Nagaoka. Some may prefer different attributes, but the Nagas have a strong reputation for being slightly warm, non-fatiguing and having "enough" detail. My experience with the MP-300 is not different, although I do wonder if my tonearm/headshell combo has too much mass for optimal performance.

@Angsty I doubt your Pioneer tonearm would have too much mass. Nagaoka's listed dynamic compliance is 7.2 x 10-6 cm/dyne at 100hz. This would put it at around 11 x 10-6 cm/dyne at 10hz, which is still within a low(ish) compliance range and should match a heavy arm. If anything, your arm may be a bit too light but I doubt that would be a factor either. MP-110 used to work great with the relatively light aluminium arm on my old Project table.

BTW, MoFi decks have very heavy arms (around 27g) and their carts compliance is 11 x 10-6 cm/dyne. If that's measured at 100hz (since they are also made in JP) they are only medium compliance and yet somehow they match well with the heavy arm.

Anyway, the only way to find out if MP-200 works on my setup is to get one ;)

Whatever it is, it’s kicking my ass because it won’t get level no matter what i do.
It's certainly more challenging with four feet but you'll get it leveled enough. Just make sure you don't level it (or play) with the cover attached in the raised position, cause that will bias the weight toward the rear, upsetting the leveling.

It's certainly more challenging with four feet but you'll get it leveled enough. Just make sure you don't level it (or play) with the cover attached in the raised position, cause that will bias the weight toward the rear, upsetting the leveling.
That might be why it’s uncooperative, I had the cover on raised 😆

I actually level and play mine that way cuz I’ll be danged if I take that thing on and off every time.
I'd do that as well but the motor on my deck is sometimes buzzy and raised cover reflects and amplifies the buzz further. To keep the noise to a minimum, my cover is always either on or (mostly) off.

I'd do that as well but the motor on my deck is sometimes buzzy and raised cover reflects and amplifies the buzz further. To keep the noise to a minimum, my cover is always either on or (mostly) off.
My cover, when raised, rests flush against a wall, so I've never run into this. In an ideal world, I'd take it off when listening, I just don't have anywhere to put it.

Back