MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Apologies. I was listening to more music and found some issues likely related to the cart not being broken in yet. To be accurate, I deleted my earlier review but will repost it later once it has Nagaoka's recommended 30 hours under its belt.

Apologies. I was listening to more music and found some issues likely related to the cart not being broken in yet. To be accurate, I deleted my earlier review but will repost it later once it has Nagaoka's recommended 30 hours under its belt.
I have a couple of questions related to your now deleted post ---not regarding the Nagaoka , but the anti-skate settings you used with the ultratracker before you changed the cartridge . I know its a bit off the intended direction of the post---sorry .

I have a Ultradeck with a mastertracker cartridge. It came set to the third notch on the anti-skate pin as I assume did your Ultratracker . I am about 6 months in so expect the cartridge should be broken in . I moved the anti-skate to the second notch and really did not notice any definable difference in sound so went back to the 3rd notch . Tracking force is at 2 g.

In your deleted post you appear to suggest that you tried different anti-skate/tracking force settings for the ultratracker before changing to the Nagaoka. I may be misreading your deleted posting , but if you did try different settings , could you share your experience .

I would also be interested in hearing other peoples experience if they changed the tracking force and anti-skate settings .

I have a couple of questions related to your now deleted post ---not regarding the Nagaoka , but the anti-skate settings you used with the ultratracker before you changed the cartridge . I know its a bit off the intended direction of the post---sorry .

I have a Ultradeck with a mastertracker cartridge. It came set to the third notch on the anti-skate pin as I assume did your Ultratracker . I am about 6 months in so expect the cartridge should be broken in . I moved the anti-skate to the second notch and really did not notice any definable difference in sound so went back to the 3rd notch . Tracking force is at 2 g.

In your deleted post you appear to suggest that you tried different anti-skate/tracking force settings for the ultratracker before changing to the Nagaoka. I may be misreading your deleted posting , but if you did try different settings , could you share your experience .

I would also be interested in hearing other peoples experience if they changed the tracking force and anti-skate settings .
I’ve always just calibrated the tracking force by cartridge weight and it’s been fine.

Hello All,
As this is a 102 page thread and just found it, please forgive me for not reading it all yet.

I Just purchased a used/mint Ultradeck with no cartridge. Has anyone had any experience using the Ortofon Black LVB on it?

I'm told by a local tech that is actually a better match with my phono stage in my McIntosh c-42, which only takes MM and is fixed at 4.5v, than the Master Tracker.

My concern is given the high capacity of 22 assigned to the LVB, but the consultant told me it won't be an issue.

Thank you. -Zafu

Hello All,
As this is a 102 page thread and just found it, please forgive me for not reading it all yet.

I Just purchased a used/mint Ultradeck with no cartridge. Has anyone had any experience using the Ortofon Black LVB on it?

I'm told by a local tech that is actually a better match with my phono stage in my McIntosh c-42, which only takes MM and is fixed at 4.5v, than the Master Tracker.

My concern is given the high capacity of 22 assigned to the LVB, but the consultant told me it won't be an issue.

Thank you. -Zafu
You’ll be fine, your tech is giving you good advice.

I’ve always just calibrated the tracking force by cartridge weight and it’s been fine.
Thanks , just to be clear on your Ultradeck you just set the anti-skate to the notch recommended based on weight of the cartridge ---which for my cartridge is notch 3 . Tracking force recommendations have a range ie with the MoFi cartridges the recommendation range from 1.8g to 2.2g . Have you played around with setting the tracking force within this range and have you noticed any difference ?

Hello All,

Thank you. -Zafu
Did you buy from TMR/The Music Room by chance? If so, that was mine.

You’ll be fine, your tech is giving you good advice.

Thank you. That makes me feel a lot better. What I don't understand, is why it's common advice to match high cap. carts, LVB is 22 with low to medium weight arms. Ultradeck is a heavy arm at 25.14 g. Not that I don't understand, I sorta do, has to do with resonance; but if that's the case, then why is matching a high cap LVB with the Ultradeck fine? I trust this tech and trust you, just having a hard time reconciling the disconnect with what is commonly said, but doesn't seem to apply here.

Did you buy from TMR/The Music Room by chance? If so, that was mine.

No; but hope yours found a nice home. I got mine from an online audio trade forum. Spoke to the prior owner first, who lives on the other side of the Country but from a town next to where I grew up. I could tell from talking with him, he was good people and have faith the unit is exactly as he described. Will arrive Tuesday.

Thank you. That makes me feel a lot better. What I don't understand, is why it's common advice to match high cap. carts, LVB is 22 with low to medium weight arms. Ultradeck is a heavy arm at 25.14 g. Not that I don't understand, I sorta do, has to do with resonance; but if that's the case, then why is matching a high cap LVB with the Ultradeck fine? I trust this tech and trust you, just having a hard time reconciling the disconnect with what is commonly said, but doesn't seem to apply here.

No; but hope yours found a nice home. I got mine from an online audio trade forum. Spoke to the prior owner first, who lives on the other side of the Country but from a town next to where I grew up. I could tell from talking with him, he was good people and have faith the unit is exactly as he described. Will arrive Tuesday.
You’d have to have a gross mismatch to really have an issue. I ran a couple of 20 cu (compliance unit) Grados on mine with no issues.

Also, I’ve found that the old school charts and graphs really aren’t useful. Try the Korf calculator.

Here are the results for the UD/Ortofon LVB. Looks good.

293CDAA8-435D-458F-806F-B06C91D9A52C.jpeg

That’s not to say that compliance doesn’t matter. I had initially set my previous Technics GR up with a magnesium headshell, It should be “better” than the lighter plastic factory headshell. I actually prefer the plastic to the magnesium.

Thanks , just to be clear on your Ultradeck you just set the anti-skate to the notch recommended based on weight of the cartridge ---which for my cartridge is notch 3 . Tracking force recommendations have a range ie with the MoFi cartridges the recommendation range from 1.8g to 2.2g . Have you played around with setting the tracking force within this range and have you noticed any difference ?
I typically set mine closer to, but below, the high end of the recommendation. But you should fiddle around with it and see what you like. It can make a difference with tracking.

From M. Fremer post from long time ago (somewhere on the web), I have learned of a simple way to set the anti-skate: get a record with a blank side (typically a double-disk album with three sides of music and D side of nothing) or a CD (if so, place it with a shiny side up). Start spinning and lower the needle. If the needle stays in one place, reduce the anti-skate (move it one notch closer towards the arm base). Try again until you see the needle starting to trail towards the center but then stop or maybe trail inward very slowly. This is the ideal spot. Alternatively, if the needle trails towards the center quickly, increase anti-skate by a single notch and try again until is slows down or stops. I never heard obvious differences between anti-skate settings but it may affect tracking, groove rumble, etc.

By the way, anyone here using this tonearm lifter on their ultradeck? How do you like it and which one fits, Low or High? Thank you.
If you use the MoFi weight, on some records the tonearm will run into it (a design oversight, I guess) and a lifter will help to avoid that. I use Audio-Technica lift - a bit cheaper than similar lifts, works great and looks totally stock on the Ultradeck. A couple of people commented that they thought it was an original part of the Ultradeck. Google it...
20220820_234426.jpg

Last edited:
If you use the MoFi weight, on some records the tonearm will run into it (a design oversight, I guess) and a lifter will help to avoid that. I use Audio-Technica lift - a bit cheaper than similar lifts, works great and looks totally stock on the Ultradeck. A couple of people commented that they thought it was an original part of the Ultradeck. Google it...
View attachment 149272
I also use the Audio Technica lift, and I think it’s fantastic. Built like a tank, easy to dial in, looks good on the UltraDeck. Easy recommendation.

View attachment 149272
The lift is really nice and a nice "ease of use" add-on, but just as an FYI, you can adjust the MoFi tonearm so it doesn't hit the weight ;)

Back