MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

By the way, anyone here using this tonearm lifter on their ultradeck? How do you like it and which one fits, Low or High? Thank you.

Little Fwend​

Edit: Nevermind, found it. It works and is Low​

Compatible turntables — LITTLE FWEND

I use a lifter made in Canada called the Trulift and its very well made and works and looks good. The owner provides great support .It comes in a number of different heights and models based on your TT

1661099839466.png

Is there a general rule of thumb for when replacing the belt on the ULtraDeck is a good idea? Or can it last for years?
I put the same question to MoFi and this is what they said about the belt and other maintenance .I had recently purchased the LP#9 stylus cleaner and there bearing grease and asked them a number of questions . They have a bad habit of sending out material with no information on its use , or confusing instructions .

"There is very little maintenance required of the turntable. Keep the stylus clean (and the records).
Check the bearing for cleanliness annually, if it requires cleaning – clean and add a small amount of ester based grease (you can purchase through us, $25).
Check the speed annually. Variations can be due to need to clean and lubricate the bearing to needing a new belt. Replace the belt every 3 years ($35.-). Clean the platter with a lightly moist clean cloth.

You have some excellent maintenance tools. regarding the stylus, all stylus brushes take about a drop of liquid and brush the stylus from back to front.
Regarding the grease, you may have to use it annually, possibly every 2 years, depends on the use & environment. Clean the bearing with a clean cloth and apply a thin coat of grease to top of bearing and let table settle for some hours spinning
."

I had no idea! How?
There's a set screw on the collar that holds the tonearm assembly in place. Facing the table, if you look on the right side of the collar you'll see it. Loosen the hex screw, BUT HOLD THE TONEARM ASSEMBLY OR IT WILL DROP STRAIGNT DOWN!

Turn the tonearm assembly counter clockwise a little bit and tighten. Swing the tonearm to the spindle and see where it stops, adjust as needed ;)

This is also how you adjust your VTA.

Turn the tonearm assembly counter clockwise a little bit and tighten.
Roger that! Yeah, what you're saying does make sense - when I was using the protractor installing the new cart I did notice the arm won't turn further than a certain point (the protractor had the overhang setting printed past the center hole which got me a bit flustered ;))

There's a set screw on the collar that holds the tonearm assembly in place. Facing the table, if you look on the right side of the collar you'll see it. Loosen the hex screw, BUT HOLD THE TONEARM ASSEMBLY OR IT WILL DROP STRAIGNT DOWN!

Turn the tonearm assembly counter clockwise a little bit and tighten. Swing the tonearm to the spindle and see where it stops, adjust as needed ;)

This is also how you adjust your VTA.
I have attached a page from the MoFi manual where they show the set screw on the collar that sits on the deck .So just to be very clear by the tonearm assembly you mean everything attached to the vertical round support that runs through the collar . You are raising or lowering the round vertical support and everything attached to it . I assume the set screw tightens through the collar against the round support . I have never done this before so may be a bit anal in understanding what to adjust

Attachments

• MF VTA.pdf
    503.6 KB · Views: 11
I have attached a page from the MoFi manual where they show the set screw on the collar that sits on the deck .So just to be very clear by the tonearm assembly you mean everything attached to the vertical round support that runs through the collar . You are raising or lowering the round vertical support and everything attached to it . I assume the set screw tightens through the collar against the round support . I have never done this before so may be a bit anal in understanding what to adjust
That was very cool of you to do. I'll print this out and bring to my Tech this weekend. He probably knows all this, but won't hurt to give him. He's mounting an Ortofon Black LVB on the Ultradeck for me. I'm nervous as hell about it since the LVB is 22 compliance and tonearm is 25 g, but he's telling me not to worry. Also, I phoned Music Direct and they also said it can be properly made to work and "sing like a bird"; so guess I just have to have faith now.

Again, I'm limited to a MM cartridge due to it being my only phone input on my McIntosh c-42 I want to use and believe for the price, this is supposed to be an amazing Cart. Just hope I don't regret it.

I second @Anthonyl, everything is correct. But be careful when loosening the screw, since it's the only thing that holds the tonearm support column in place. Hold the tonearm base firmly in the process, and then gently lower/raise it. Otherwise, you'll mess up the VTA set by MoFi and will spend quite a bit of time adjusting it back to the proper setting. I've been there, it's a rabbit hole ;) If fact, if you don't already have it, before doing anything I would first get a VTA gauge on Amazon to see the angle of the tonearm set by MoFi. This way you can always re-adjust VTA to set it back to their suggested angle. That's why many users prefer decks like Technics with large VTA dials that allow you to incrementally change the VTA and after get back to what it was before. Ultradeck unfortunately, is not one of those...

I second @Anthonyl, everything is correct. But be careful when loosening the screw, since it's the only thing that holds the tonearm support column in place. Hold the tonearm base firmly in the process, and then gently lower/raise it. Otherwise, you'll mess up the VTA set by MoFi and will spend quite a bit of time adjusting it back to the proper setting. I've been there, it's a rabbit hole ;) If fact, if you don't already have it, before doing anything I would first get a VTA gauge on Amazon to see the angle of the tonearm set by MoFi. This way you can always re-adjust VTA to set it back to their suggested angle. That's why many users prefer decks like Technics with large VTA dials that allow you to incrementally change the VTA and after get back to what it was before. Ultradeck unfortunately, is not one of those...
Thanks will get a VTA gauge as I have been using a lined heavy gauged paper card , but its very hard to eye ball . With the stylus resting on a record I had initially thought the arm was not parallel with the record surface , but then noticed that one end the lined stock paper was resting on the outside raised edge of the record so it was causing the arm to appear slightly higher in this area . Once I cut the lined card down in order to sit flat on the record , the lined appeared parallel .

Thanks will get a VTA gauge as I have been using a lined heavy gauged paper card , but its very hard to eye ball . With the stylus resting on a record I had initially thought the arm was not parallel with the record surface , but then noticed that one end the lined stock paper was resting on the outside raised edge of the record so it was causing the arm to appear slightly higher in this area . Once I cut the lined card down in order to sit flat on the record , the lined appeared parallel .
One last bit of "wisdom": I would also try using the same flat record to measure VTA on (since all records have slightly different thicknesses and some are warped.)

After that, you can also expect that thinner records than the one you used for VTA measurement will sound a tiny bit brighter and thicker ones warmer. That's what the VTA angle affects mostly - bright vs. warm. So in general when a vinyl setup sounds lean, lower the arm by half a millimeter (from 0º angle position) and see if it brings out more warmth and richness. Good luck!

Last edited:
I am still wrestling with my choice of putting an Ortofon Black LVB on the Ultradeck, despite the highly qualified tech telling me it should be fine. The specs of the Cart and tone arm fall fairly well outside of the preferred resonance space. I am limited at the moment to a MM cart. Does anyone have a much lower compliance cart recommendation that can compete with the Black LVB?

Anyone have any experience with the Sumiko Amethyst, or insight on that cart vs the MoFi Master Tracker?

Thank you.

I am still wrestling with my choice of putting an Ortofon Black LVB on the Ultradeck, despite the highly qualified tech telling me it should be fine. The specs of the Cart and tone arm fall fairly well outside of the preferred resonance space. I am limited at the moment to a MM cart. Does anyone have a much lower compliance cart recommendation that can compete with the Black LVB?

Anyone have any experience with the Sumiko Amethyst, or insight on that cart vs the MoFi Master Tracker?

Thank you.
I understand your concern. I had the same concerns myself. The Grados I ran on my UD should not have been a good match, and yet they were.

The lower compliance cartridges that I’d look at (if you must go that way) are both moving coil- Hana and the Ortofon Quintet Black S. Both worked well on my UD, but actually no better than the Grados. They did sound better, but it wasn’t because of a compliance difference- both the Hana and the Ortofon had more advanced cantilevers and styli. They all tracked pretty closely, with the nod to the Ortofon.

The LVB is probably your best move.

@Zafu You could get the LVB from Music Direct with a 60 day money back guarantee. They will take it back for full refund as long as it’s not damaged.

That way you can allay your concerns risk free.

I understand your concern. I had the same concerns myself. The Grados I ran on my UD should not have been a good match, and yet they were.

The lower compliance cartridges that I’d look at (if you must go that way) are both moving coil- Hana and the Ortofon Quintet Black S. Both worked well on my UD, but actually no better than the Grados. They did sound better, but it wasn’t because of a compliance difference- both the Hana and the Ortofon had more advanced cantilevers and styli. They all tracked pretty closely, with the nod to the Ortofon.

The LVB is probably your best move.

I already ordered it via Amazon Prime. Fairly sure they wouldn't give me a hard time either.

I've had my heart set on the LVB, so your words are music to my ears, but on paper, even under the most forgiving of charts, it points to resonance issues. It's all science and physics so it boggles my mind that what's on paper simply isn't the final say on these things. With your assurance and that of my tech and a few others, guess it's foolish for me to second guess anyone, since this really isn't my field. Someone referred me to an Analogue Test LP; I guess that's used to check resonance and dial it in. I texted my tech about it last night and he texted back immediately that he has a few of those. lol I'm obviously in very capable hands so should probably relax;. It's just that music is so very important to me, I don't want to make a mistake. In the end, I guess I'll tell the tech if we can't get it "right", let me return it or sell it at a loss and start over. Sorry, you can tell I'm nervous about this and don't mean to spam. Really appreciate the input.

I've had my heart set on the LVB, so your words are music to my ears, but on paper, even under the most forgiving of charts, it points to resonance issues.
Which resonance issues you're hearing? If I understand it correctly those are typically limited to very low frequency (sub 10hz) and cause needle to vibrate and mistrack. Considering MoFi arm is internally dampened, I'm not sure if LBV Black is that much off from MoFi carts to cause them (22 x 10e-6/dyne vs. 17 x 10e-6/dyne)

But since you brought up MoFi MasterTracker, I have not a shred of doubt that on an Ultradeck it will sound at least as good as the Ortofon cart but probably better. I have never owned either cart but have enough experience with a few others to know that the heavy Ultradeck tonearm is not an easy match for anything except MoFi own MM carts. I won't be surprised if it was their business objective ;)

Which resonance issues you're hearing? If I understand it correctly those are typically limited to very low frequency (sub 10hz) and cause needle to vibrate and mistrack. Considering MoFi arm is internally dampened, I'm not sure if LBV Black is that much off from MoFi carts to cause them (22 x 10e-6/dyne vs. 17 x 10e-6/dyne)

But since you brought up MoFi MasterTracker, I have not a shred of doubt that on an Ultradeck it will sound at least as good as the Ortofon cart but probably better. I have never owned either cart but have enough experience with a few others to know that the heavy Ultradeck tonearm is not an easy match for anything except MoFi own MM carts. I won't be surprised if it was their business objective ;)

The install hasn't happened yet. I'm receiving the Ultradeck without a cart on Thursday. I ordered the Black LVB, which arrives today. I was explaining that when I use all the various tools and such, given the high mass of the MoFi tone arm of 25.14g and the compliance of the VLB at 22, it suggests I'm in the resonance danger zone. The Tech and others are suggesting that the LVB can work well with the Ultradeck despite what appears on paper; maybe that's partly because of the arm dampening you mention; don't know.

As for the comparison of the Master Tracker vs LVB, if I believed the Master Tracker was as good, I would have gone that way in a heartbeat as it would of eliminated all my concerns that the LVB may not work out well and would of cost $200 less. While I've not heard any direct comparisons between the two, my understanding is the LVB is far superior to the Master Tracker.

The install hasn't happened yet. I'm receiving the Ultradeck without a cart on Thursday. I ordered the Black LVB, which arrives today. I was explaining that when I use all the various tools and such, given the high mass of the MoFi tone arm of 25.14g and the compliance of the VLB at 22, it suggests I'm in the resonance danger zone. The Tech and others are suggesting that the LVB can work well with the Ultradeck despite what appears on paper; maybe that's partly because of the arm dampening you mention; don't know.

As for the comparison of the Master Tracker vs LVB, if I believed the Master Tracker was as good, I would have gone that way in a heartbeat as it would of eliminated all my concerns that the LVB may not work out well and would of cost $200 less. While I've not heard any direct comparisons between the two, my understanding is the LVB is far superior to the Master Tracker.
Oh... In that case yeah, mount it and see how if you like it. Curious to hear back on what you find out.

I'm chickening out and returning the Ortofon Black LVB. There is just too much "what-if's" about this to sit comfortably with me.

At the age of 67, I got back in to vinyl a year ago, when I dug out my TT from 1978, a SL-23 Technics, slapped a $100 AT-VM95M on it, replaced the belt and my jaw dropped at the results. I use a McIntosh C-42 pre with a MC-7200 McIntosh Amp to B&W 702 Signature speakers; OPPO 205 for digital front end. Somehow, I managed to save most of my records from growing up and moving all over the Country, don't ask me how; and most of them turned out to be in great shape. Vinyl simply sounds better in my system, so I fell back in love.

Now, a year later, found a great deal on a mint/new Ultradeck and grabbed it, but no Cart. Because of that deal, I am in a position to spring a $1,000 for the Black LVB and have heard amazing reviews on it. I didn't realize until after the Ultradeck purchase that the weight of the tone arm was so high and therefore, potentially limiting in the MM carts I could select. Despite the reassurances, I believe I'm trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and not comfortable with that.

I'm going to return the LVB and now deciding whether to spend the $800 on the Master Tracker, or $500 on the Sumiko Amethyst, unless there's another compatible MM Cart you think would surpass both of those. Clearly, either of those choices on an Ultradeck is going to BLOW AWAY what I am currently using; I think. Worth noting, the MM input on my pre is a fixed 5v.

Your feedback and patience is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Back