MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Gotta be honest, guys. Im a little pissed off right now.

I finally got my Ultraphono today and I’m pretty sure it’s broken. Got all my connections in place and plugged in the power and the little yellow light blinks on and off.

I connect to my amp and it pops like it’s being turn on and off repeatedly.

I unplugged the power supply and tried again with the same result. It has a tiny LED on it that is solid blue when it is disconnected from the Ultraphono.

Reconnect it to the Ultraphono and then it blinks in unison with yellow light and the pop.

Spun a disc and sure enough it’s cutting in and out.

Hopefully it’s just a matter of getting it swapped over with the dealer and I don’t have to wait for it to be repaired, considering I waited nearly two months to get it.

Gotta be honest, guys. Im a little pissed off right now.

I finally got my Ultraphono today and I’m pretty sure it’s broken. Got all my connections in place and plugged in the power and the little yellow light blinks on and off.

I connect to my amp and it pops like it’s being turn on and off repeatedly.

I unplugged the power supply and tried again with the same result. It has a tiny LED on it that is solid blue when it is disconnected from the Ultraphono.

Reconnect it to the Ultraphono and then it blinks in unison with yellow light and the pop.

Spun a disc and sure enough it’s cutting in and out.

Hopefully it’s just a matter of getting it swapped over with the dealer and I don’t have to wait for it to be repaired, considering I waited nearly two months to get it.

once you’re within the statutory period after purchase the dealer should replace or refund. It’s only when you go outside that and you are relying on warranty that you’d have to deal with the manufacturer direct and send it off for repair.

once you’re within the statutory period after purchase the dealer should replace or refund. It’s only when you go outside that and you are relying on warranty that you’d have to deal with the manufacturer direct and send it off for repair.
Cheers Joe.

It wouldn’t have been a problem getting a replacement. Just frustrating that it took nearly two months to get to me and it arriving broken.

That said, it was just a power supply issue. I took it back to the store I bought it from and they had a Studiophono on display and when they plugged in the Ultraphono it worked as intended.

Ive not used a pre amp before so I really have no other pre amp reference to compare it to. It seems to have given a nice polish to the overall sound. Music seems more bright and defined than it did before when just using the in built phono. The Ultradeck by itself was great but this enhances it.

I haven’t tried headphones on it yet which was one of the main reason for me picking this up. Our place is compact so most of the entertainment is in one place and my wife’s Netflix binging makes it hard to spin something. I was also trying to move the turntable away from the TV and place it with my records in the great wall of Kallax. Which I will post pictures of when my vision is fully realised.

Now I just need my Mofi Super Heavyweight...

Hey all - Just joined here recently and wanted to drop in and start with a big thank you. I came across this thread while researching a potential StudioDeck purchase and happy to say that I pulled the trigger and it should be here in a few days. The posts here really helped so I appreciate all the input. I went with the StudioDeck with UltraTracker and I'm upgrading from a U-Turn (which Music Direct gave me a decent trade-in value for), so really excited to get it setup soon. I'm sure I'll have some questions once it gets here, but wanted to at least drop in and say thanks!

Hey all - Just joined here recently and wanted to drop in and start with a big thank you. I came across this thread while researching a potential StudioDeck purchase and happy to say that I pulled the trigger and it should be here in a few days. The posts here really helped so I appreciate all the input. I went with the StudioDeck with UltraTracker and I'm upgrading from a U-Turn (which Music Direct gave me a decent trade-in value for), so really excited to get it setup soon. I'm sure I'll have some questions once it gets here, but wanted to at least drop in and say thanks!

Welcome to the club!

Well, she finally arrived yesterday! Unfortunately the FedEx shipment was delayed a few days, holidays and stuff I imagine, so I am about to head out of town and wasn't even going to set it up until I got back. Then I figured I might as well take everything out and at least make sure its all there and nothing was damaged during shipping. Then it became, well I might as well put the platter and the belt on...and long story short about 30 minutes later I was spinning my first record! (The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding)

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the whole setup process was. Between the included instructions and a very helpful setup video I found on Audio Advice it was really a breeze. Only minor "hard" part was the anti-skate, but that's more an issue of fat fingers and unsteady hands :)

Very impressed with how everything sounds already, and I know it hasn't even begun to break in yet. Can't wait until I have some more time to really dig in and listen more and tinker with everything.

One initial question on the platter...I know it says it takes several hours to settle into final position, but I am just curious does it eventually end up flush with the plinth or is there always some space there? There is definitely some space on mine currently, and I don't want to force it on too much, so just wondering how that works after time.

Well, she finally arrived yesterday! Unfortunately the FedEx shipment was delayed a few days, holidays and stuff I imagine, so I am about to head out of town and wasn't even going to set it up until I got back. Then I figured I might as well take everything out and at least make sure its all there and nothing was damaged during shipping. Then it became, well I might as well put the platter and the belt on...and long story short about 30 minutes later I was spinning my first record! (The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding)

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the whole setup process was. Between the included instructions and a very helpful setup video I found on Audio Advice it was really a breeze. Only minor "hard" part was the anti-skate, but that's more an issue of fat fingers and unsteady hands :)

Very impressed with how everything sounds already, and I know it hasn't even begun to break in yet. Can't wait until I have some more time to really dig in and listen more and tinker with everything.

One initial question on the platter...I know it says it takes several hours to settle into final position, but I am just curious does it eventually end up flush with the plinth or is there always some space there? There is definitely some space on mine currently, and I don't want to force it on too much, so just wondering how that works after time.

Welcome to the club! Great table!

After 6 months, mine has settled here. So a little space for sure A156F808-5EBA-4108-BA1C-A4DE8BB02EB8.jpeg

Not sure about the StudioDeck since the platter isn't as thick, but this is where the UD platter sits after 2 years. You may also want to give the bearing a shot of lithium grease ;)
20191208_103000.jpg

Last edited:
The secret to setting up the anti skate on the MoFi arms is to do it before putting on the counterweight. I don't have fat fingers and it still gave me a fit in the "correct" order.

Congrats!

Yeah absolutely, luckily the setup video I watched suggested that as well. If I did the counterweight first I would probably still be trying to get the anti skate on! Thanks!

I finally took the leap and ordered a StudioDeck turntable. Found an open box unit with no cartridge for $960 (20% off) at Music Direct. The rep said the unit was returned because they sent the wrong item. I figured the buyer probably didn't even unpack it, and I have an AT-VM95ML which would pair nicely.

The unit arrived and I notice the exterior box reads StudioDeck+M. Opened it up and there it was on the tonearm, a MasterTracker cartridge. And, as suspected, everything was wrapped tight and the unit appears to be like new. Set it up and it sounds terrific, MoFi and Music Direct rock!

Last edited:
I finally took the leap and ordered a StudioDeck turntable. Found an open box unit with no cartridge for $960 (20% off) at Music Direct. The rep said the unit was returned because they sent the wrong item. I figured the buyer probably didn't even unpack it, and I have an AT-VM95ML which will work just fine.

The unit arrived and I notice the exterior box reads StudioDeck+M. Opened it up and there it was on the tonearm, a MasterTracker cartridge. And, as suspected, everything was wrapped tight and the unit appears to be like new. Set it up and it sounds terrific, MoFi and Music Direct rock!

that cart is like $799 on its own!

I finally took the leap and ordered a StudioDeck turntable. Found an open box unit with no cartridge for $960 (20% off) at Music Direct. The rep said the unit was returned because they sent the wrong item. I figured the buyer probably didn't even unpack it, and I have an AT-VM95ML which would pair nicely.

Very nice, you should enjoy that greatly. Gratz!

That’s awesome! Christmas miracle indeed! Enjoy it.

Back