MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Dear All,

I Wish You Merry Christmas from Hong Kong.
Do you have any idea about the Mofi master tracker and ultra tracker equivalent to which models of audio technica cartridges?

Dear All,

I Wish You Merry Christmas from Hong Kong.
Do you have any idea about the Mofi master tracker and ultra tracker equivalent to which models of audio technica cartridges?
The MoFi carts have aluminium bodies, so given that there will not be a direct equivalent. Also, MoFi states the carts are built to their specifications and partnered with Allen Perkins of Spiral Groove on the design.

Having said that, many speculate that the VM series would be the closest the the MoFi carts.

I finally took the leap and ordered a StudioDeck turntable. Found an open box unit with no cartridge for $960 (20% off) at Music Direct. The rep said the unit was returned because they sent the wrong item. I figured the buyer probably didn't even unpack it, and I have an AT-VM95ML which would pair nicely.

The unit arrived and I notice the exterior box reads StudioDeck+M. Opened it up and there it was on the tonearm, a MasterTracker cartridge. And, as suspected, everything was wrapped tight and the unit appears to be like new. Set it up and it sounds terrific, MoFi and Music Direct rock!

What a deal!!! Holy crap! Merry Christmas indeed!

You can add me to your owner's list if you wish. I replaced my ProJect Debut Carbon Esprit this weekend with an Ultradeck/Hana SL combo. Talk about a huge upgrade. I was blown away.

Turntable: UltraDeck
Cartridge: Hana SL
Preamp: Parasound JC2 BP
Amp: Parasound JC5
Phono: Parasound JC3 Jr.
Speakers: Focal Sopra 2
Power Conditioner: PS Audio P10
Audio Cables: RCA- Blue Jeans LC-1 (for the UltraDeck), Kimber Select, Wireworld Eclipse
Power Cables: Shunyata (various)
Speaker Cable: Iconoclast (by Belden) SPTPCDA41B171-C4EB-4E3E-9F4D-111F982F5F10.jpeg

Last edited:
You can add me to your owner's list of you wish. I replaced my ProJect Debut Carbon Esprit this weekend with an Ultradeck/Hana SL combo. Talk about a huge upgrade. I was blown away.

Audio Cables: RCA- Blue Jeans LC-1 (for the UltraDeck), Kimber Select, Wireworld Eclipse
Speaker Cable: Iconoclast (by Belden) SPTPCView attachment 29504

Welcome!

Nice system!

You can add me to your owner's list if you wish. I replaced my ProJect Debut Carbon Esprit this weekend with an Ultradeck/Hana SL combo. Talk about a huge upgrade. I was blown away.

Looks fantastic! Enjoy!

Gratz! Looks awesome, how are you liking the Hana on there?

I listened to the Ultratracker at the store, prior to taking it home. However, that system was quite different than my own... PMC Fact 8',s Audio Research LS-25 Mark 2 and I forget which amp... maybe a Parasound A21+. To my ears, it sounded great. We listened to Supertramp Breakfast in America (Mofi pressing). That said, I knew I wanted to try a moving coil and the dealer agreed to keep the Ultratracker and to install/calibrate the Hana for me.

My ProJect table had a 2M Blue. Compared to the Project, the Ultradeck/Hana combo is way quieter, seems much less sensitive to vibration and the sound is more consistent as I listen to a side of a record. I'd say the overall sound is smoother, fuller yet more detailed. It seems like the Hana handles some of my older used records better.

I listened to a (Rainbow?) pressing of Smashing Pumpkins "Gish" which was, in my opinion, unlistenable on the 2M Blue and the Hana played it well - not perfect, but quite enjoyable.

I got the JC3 Jr. (new) recently when I decided to sell my Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ which was doing double-duty as a phono preamp. It ended up being a straight-across trade for the Brooklyn, and it opened up the possibility of running a moving coil cartridge. The Brooklyn is a decent MM preamp but is reportedly not great for MC carts.

The Hana is my first experience with a MC and I'm pleased with the result. Despite being into audio since high-school, I've never really invested into vinyl playback until now. I had a Technics direct-drive back in the 90's but it was more of a curiosity than a focus.

Hi,

Long time lurker (including from the VMP days)…still relatively new to the HiFi thing at about a year in so mostly just been absorbing all of the great info on this (and other) online sources.

I traded in my Pro-ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB for an Ultradeck (w/o cartridge) a couple of weeks back and needless to say, couldn’t be happier. I transferred my Grado Gold v2 (though over the weekend, upgrade-itis + an amazing deal on eBay got the better of me and I have a Hana SL on the way).

Everything is just better; build quality, sound quality, adjustability, industrial design, and best of all, being able to remember the name of the turnable ;)! I’ll admit I was a little hesitant based on the small issues that seems to have been mentioned in various threads online (including in this thread). I decided to just go for it since MoFi seems easy to work with and hoping it was just some early production issues. And then, wouldn’t you know it, after three days about six hours of use, the motor wouldn’t start. It was an easy fix, thanks to @budley007 who shared his tip about holding down the power button while plugging the AC back in…worked like a charm! Thanks @budley007!

My next (and hopefully last-ish) upgrade will be my speakers, though I’m sure I’ll probably start looking at cables again once I get the new speakers, haha. Currently have the KEF Q350s but looking at the KEF R3s and KEF Reference 1s…just haven’t had the time to audition them.

Anyways, my setup is as follows:

Turntable: Mofi Ultradeck
Cartridge: Grado Gold v2 (soon to be Hana SL)
Integrated Amp: Parasound HINT 6
Phono Stage: Parasound JC3 Jr.
Speakers: KEF Q350
Sub: HSU Research ULS-15 MK2
Power Conditioner: Audioquest Niagara 1200
Audio Cables: Audioquest Golden Gate RCAs, Zu Mission XLR, Zu Libtec
Power Cables: Audioquest NRG-Z3, Audioquest NRG-Y3, Audioquest Monsoon
Accessories: Mofi Heavyweight, Okki Nokki RCM, Zerostat 3

And thanks to everyone on this board for sharing knowledge, expertise, and experiences...it's the only HiFi board I set up an account with since there's none of the typical drama.

This could be a good idea in when I like 3 or 4 years from now upgrade to a 1K turntable and get moving coil and shit.. but that's forever away.. it's super intriguing though

Hi,

Long time lurker (including from the VMP days)…still relatively new to the HiFi thing at about a year in so mostly just been absorbing all of the great info on this (and other) online sources.

I traded in my Pro-ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB for an Ultradeck (w/o cartridge) a couple of weeks back and needless to say, couldn’t be happier. I transferred my Grado Gold v2 (though over the weekend, upgrade-itis + an amazing deal on eBay got the better of me and I have a Hana SL on the way).

Everything is just better; build quality, sound quality, adjustability, industrial design, and best of all, being able to remember the name of the turnable ;)! I’ll admit I was a little hesitant based on the small issues that seems to have been mentioned in various threads online (including in this thread). I decided to just go for it since MoFi seems easy to work with and hoping it was just some early production issues. And then, wouldn’t you know it, after three days about six hours of use, the motor wouldn’t start. It was an easy fix, thanks to @budley007 who shared his tip about holding down the power button while plugging the AC back in…worked like a charm! Thanks @budley007!

My next (and hopefully last-ish) upgrade will be my speakers, though I’m sure I’ll probably start looking at cables again once I get the new speakers, haha. Currently have the KEF Q350s but looking at the KEF R3s and KEF Reference 1s…just haven’t had the time to audition them.

Anyways, my setup is as follows:

Turntable: Mofi Ultradeck
Cartridge: Grado Gold v2 (soon to be Hana SL)
Integrated Amp: Parasound HINT 6
Phono Stage: Parasound JC3 Jr.
Speakers: KEF Q350
Sub: HSU Research ULS-15 MK2
Power Conditioner: Audioquest Niagara 1200
Audio Cables: Audioquest Golden Gate RCAs, Zu Mission XLR, Zu Libtec
Power Cables: Audioquest NRG-Z3, Audioquest NRG-Y3, Audioquest Monsoon
Accessories: Mofi Heavyweight, Okki Nokki RCM, Zerostat 3

And thanks to everyone on this board for sharing knowledge, expertise, and experiences...it's the only HiFi board I set up an account with since there's none of the typical drama.

Welcome tomheo................The Kef Ref series will be a high step"UP" . Everything you like about the Q series improves dramatically . The Ref series are very, very Articulate,balanced with deep,clean bass and a die-for Midrange :) ............I hope you get them :)

Welcome tomheo................The Kef Ref series will be a high step"UP" . Everything you like about the Q series improves dramatically . The Ref series are very, very Articulate,balanced with deep,clean bass and a die-for Midrange :) ............I hope you get them :)

Thanks @Tanqueray! And thanks for the feedback on the speakers...my local dealer has a pair in his store that he's willing to give me for a good (relatively speaking) price. I haven't had a chance to audition them yet and I wanted to compare them with the R3s. Everything I've read online says there's no contest, but 1) I think I might need to switch out my speaker stands since the Ref 1s are so big and 2) not sure how it's going to go over with the wife when she sees how big they are, haha. I mentioned to her I was thinking about switching out the speakers and she said "they're gonna be bigger than those?!"

I also just got an email from KEF this morning (and spoke with them on the phone) that they have some B-Stocks in, so I'll be reaching out to my dealer. I think I might be able to find some time on Sunday to finally audition them.

Will update if anything happens.

P.S. Also got an update on my Hana SL...it's just waiting to go through customs so hopefully will have it within a few days!

I think I might need to switch out my speaker stands since the Ref 1s are so big and 2) not sure how it's going to go over with the wife when she sees how big they are
Just reminder her that in general most speakers take up about the same amount of space - even towers. Once you have stands, you have space for pretty much anything on a stand... and towers don't take up more space at that point either.

Also tell her that @Tanqueray is a woman of refined taste, and she approves ;)

Just reminder her that in general most speakers take up about the same amount of space - even towers. Once you have stands, you have space for pretty much anything on a stand... and towers don't take up more space at that point either.

Yes, haha, I was chatting about this with my dealer and he told me about a client who's wife said "no" to towers, so he bought the Ref 1s and then came back a couple of days later to buy 2 subs....:D

Thanks @Tanqueray! And thanks for the feedback on the speakers...my local dealer has a pair in his store that he's willing to give me for a good (relatively speaking) price. I haven't had a chance to audition them yet and I wanted to compare them with the R3s. Everything I've read online says there's no contest, but 1) I think I might need to switch out my speaker stands since the Ref 1s are so big and 2) not sure how it's going to go over with the wife when she sees how big they are, haha. I mentioned to her I was thinking about switching out the speakers and she said "they're gonna be bigger than those?!"

I also just got an email from KEF this morning (and spoke with them on the phone) that they have some B-Stocks in, so I'll be reaching out to my dealer. I think I might be able to find some time on Sunday to finally audition them.

Will update if anything happens.

P.S. Also got an update on my Hana SL...it's just waiting to go through customs so hopefully will have it within a few days!

I used the Hana SL on my Mcintosh MT 5 which replaced the stock Sumiko Blue Point No 2, before I got the Mcintosh MT 10...........a solid good cartridge(although the price climb in the last 2 years has been silly), but it punched above its class indeed...............it certainly outclassed the Sumiko BP No 2.

Also tell her that @Tanqueray is a woman of refined taste, and she approves ;)

Hahah Thank You:cool: displayname

Just wanted to post here in case anyone is interested in the Reference 1s. Turns out there aren't any B-Stocks (but they're calling them that)...according to my dealer, they're canceled orders that they've already started building but people have canceled (the Ref 1s are built to order).

So they're the same price as the recent promo ($5,600 down from $8k).

Hope this helps somone!

Back