MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Just wanted to post a follow to my earlier issue: Post #20
I contacted Music Direct and spoke with Tom about my problem, (and subsequent solution). Tom stated that he hasn't received any support request that matches my description, but would pass it along to his technicians. I've had no further problems since my initial post.

My Ultradeck arrived this morning, just before I started work and I thought long and hard about calling in sick. I didn’t but now that I’ve set it up I really wished that I had.

It’s so great you guys. I know you know but seriously. Wow. It’s dead quiet with surface noise but it dishes out on the music and it feels a lot more present on a much greater soundstage.

I’m running this on a bare bones set up too. I got the Ultratracker which is a nice step up from my Ortofon 2M Red. I don’t have a preamp and just run direct into my home theatre amp phono, an Onkyo 708 but it sounds head and shoulders above my Pro-Ject. My speakers are Tannoy 609’s which I love and I will aim to keep for as long as they live. They’ve always had punch but it feels a little fuller tonight.

I’m spinning Weyes Blood as I type this and it’s down to an acceptable volume for 12:45am on a Tuesday morning. I can’t wait until I finish tomorrow and put something on that I know back to front at a much louder volume for a real comparison.

My Ultradeck arrived this morning, just before I started work and I thought long and hard about calling in sick. I didn’t but now that I’ve set it up I really wished that I had.

It’s so great you guys. I know you know but seriously. Wow. It’s dead quiet with surface noise but it dishes out on the music and it feels a lot more present on a much greater soundstage.

I’m running this on a bare bones set up too. I got the Ultratracker which is a nice step up from my Ortofon 2M Red. I don’t have a preamp and just run direct into my home theatre amp phono, an Onkyo 708 but it sounds head and shoulders above my Pro-Ject. My speakers are Tannoy 609’s which I love and I will aim to keep for as long as they live. They’ve always had punch but it feels a little fuller tonight.

I’m spinning Weyes Blood as I type this and it’s down to an acceptable volume for 12:45am on a Tuesday morning. I can’t wait until I finish tomorrow and put something on that I know back to front at a much louder volume for a real comparison.

Congrats and enjoy!!!

Quick question:

I've noticed a couple times this past week that when the platter spins there's a little bit of faint crackle sounds coming from the speakers. It's not constant and it stops as soon as i push stop. The cables all feel tight and i adjusted the ground wire behind the TT connected to the StudioPhono a little bit. I didn't notice anything after that when i pushed start but i'm not sure if that fixed it since it comes and goes. Could it be a cable thing or perhaps the spindle needs a little lube?

Quick question:

I've noticed a couple times this past week that when the platter spins there's a little bit of faint crackle sounds coming from the speakers. It's not constant and it stops as soon as i push stop. The cables all feel tight and i adjusted the ground wire behind the TT connected to the StudioPhono a little bit. I didn't notice anything after that when i pushed start but i'm not sure if that fixed it since it comes and goes. Could it be a cable thing or perhaps the spindle needs a little lube?
Did you lube the spindle when you first got the deck? I don't think that's the issue, but if you haven't I would give it a little grease, it can't hurt ;)
I would think a crackle on start up would be a ground issue, since you gave it a little adjustment I would keep an ear on it and see.

Did you lube the spindle when you first got the deck? I don't think that's the issue, but if you haven't I would give it a little grease, it can't hurt ;)
I would think a crackle on start up would be a ground issue, since you gave it a little adjustment I would keep an ear on it and see.

I've lubed it twice since i got it :)

I'm hoping it's just the ground. Hopefully it just needed a little adjustment.

Quick question:

I occasionally get that with mine, usually when flipping the album. It's static electricity from the LP itself.

I occasionally get that with mine, usually when flipping the album. It's static electricity from the LP itself.
I've also noticed this. My TT is right next to my TV and sometimes when I take off a record I hear a loud crackle and I'll get a flash of static white noise on my screen. The static field seems a lot stronger than I thought it would be. Do you think this might exacerbated by the Delrin platter?

@HiFi Guy ; I moved and while I transported my mofi UD properly, things got shifted. Can you remind me what the tracking force needs to be set at for the UD? running the UD with the ultra tracker. Thank you as always sir!

I've also noticed this. My TT is right next to my TV and sometimes when I take off a record I hear a loud crackle and I'll get a flash of static white noise on my screen. The static field seems a lot stronger than I thought it would be. Do you think this might exacerbated by the Delrin platter?

The Zerostat will solve this.

My motor isn’t noisy but I do get a brief loud squeak when it goes from off to on. The power button light flickers very fast too. I would prefer it to be a constant solid light.
The light is based on the platter speed. It's actually a nice feature with a bit of functionality.
The squeak is also the belt trying to catch but it has a little slip because of the platter weight. I give mine a little simultaneous hand start just before I hit the button.

The light is based on the platter speed. It's actually a nice feature with a bit of functionality.
The squeak is also the belt trying to catch but it has a little slip because of the platter weight. I give mine a little simultaneous hand start just before I hit the button.
3F489A17-74A8-4AB2-A086-6EAC0D5FE62A.png

Thanks for the reassurance. I thought it was just slightly dodgy.

Speaking of slightly dodgy, did anyone’s Ultradeck come warranty or registration information to fill in and send off, because mine didn’t?. I just want to make sure that I didn’t get stooged.

I give my platter a shove to avoid the belt squeak, but the motor itself makes a very audible buzz/hum pretty much the whole time it operates. It doesn’t seem to filter into playback, but it’s annoying nonetheless.

Back