MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Update:

rzsA8k4.jpg

Gorgeous. Is there a recommended break in time from Mr. Lederman?

He only says that due to the MI design, far less break-in time is required than an MC cart, as long as everything is aligned properly.

So far, compared to the MasterTracker (no slouch, mind you), the MIMC Star has a slightly more relaxed high-end, and digs deeper in the bass. More detail, generally speaking - even listening to pop like Carly Rae Jepsen, the attack on the drums is stronger and the individual pulses of bass synth are tighter. Channel separation seems very impressive. Surface noise seems a touch less pronounced, but that may be psychosomatic.

Planning on doing more heavy listening today to get a feel for it.

He only says that due to the MI design, far less break-in time is required than an MC cart, as long as everything is aligned properly.

So far, compared to the MasterTracker (no slouch, mind you), the MIMC Star has a slightly more relaxed high-end, and digs deeper in the bass. More detail, generally speaking - even listening to pop like Carly Rae Jepsen, the attack on the drums is stronger and the individual pulses of bass synth are tighter. Channel separation seems very impressive. Surface noise seems a touch less pronounced, but that may be psychosomatic.

Planning on doing more heavy listening today to get a feel for it.
Nice to get yet another hands on opinion.....lots of options out there, appreciate everyone sharing what they have and how it fares 🙂

Nice to get yet another hands on opinion.....lots of options out there, appreciate everyone sharing what they have and how it fares 🙂

While my actual DAC is on its way, I've got a cheapo USB DAC plugged in and could do some needle drops if you're interested.

Hi everyone. Add me to the owners list. I took delivery on my Ultradeck +M about 4 weeks ago, just in time for this COVID quarantine nonsense. I’ve gotten very familiar with the deck over the last few weeks. My only gripe is the headshell width and the fact that with some records (I notice it mostly with singles) when using the record weight, the headshell will bump/ride up against the Mofi record weight, and I can’t imagine that is good for the stylus. like others have mentioned, my motor makes a little noise, but only one I can hear while I’m at the table and nothing makes it through to the speakers. (I’ll admit to being a little disappointed that a $2500 turntable has ANY motor noise, but I’ve come to terms with it). I’m upgrading from a heavily modified AT-LP120, and this table has better speed stability, blacker backgrounds, less surface noise, UNGODLY more detail, and in particular, PRaT is wildly improved. This table really makes me tap my toes.

Turntable: UltraDeck (with Russ Andrews Yello Power cable)
Cartridge: MoFi Mastertracker
Preamp: Schiit Freya S
Amp: Schiit Aegir
Phono: Lounge Audio LCR mk3
Speakers: Tekton Design Lore/ HSU STF-2 (Pair)
Power Conditioner: Cullen Cable Perfect Plug
Audio Cables: Van Damme Silver LoCap with lockkkg WBT and Lounge Audio RCAs
Power Cables: BLE Design and Russ Andrews
Speaker Cable: JW Audio Cryo Nova

Hi everyone. Add me to the owners list. I took delivery on my Ultradeck +M about 4 weeks ago, just in time for this COVID quarantine nonsense. I’ve gotten very familiar with the deck over the last few weeks. My only gripe is the headshell width and the fact that with some records (I notice it mostly with singles) when using the record weight, the headshell will bump/ride up against the Mofi record weight, and I can’t imagine that is good for the stylus. like others have mentioned, my motor makes a little noise, but only one I can hear while I’m at the table and nothing makes it through to the speakers. (I’ll admit to being a little disappointed that a $2500 turntable has ANY motor noise, but I’ve come to terms with it). I’m upgrading from a heavily modified AT-LP120, and this table has better speed stability, blacker backgrounds, less surface noise, UNGODLY more detail, and in particular, PRaT is wildly improved. This table really makes me tap my toes.

Turntable: UltraDeck (with Russ Andrews Yello Power cable)
Cartridge: MoFi Mastertracker
Preamp: Schiit Freya S
Amp: Schiit Aegir
Phono: Lounge Audio LCR mk3
Speakers: Tekton Design Lore/ HSU STF-2 (Pair)
Power Conditioner: Cullen Cable Perfect Plug
Audio Cables: Van Damme Silver LoCap with lockkkg WBT and Lounge Audio RCAs
Power Cables: BLE Design and Russ Andrews
Speaker Cable: JW Audio Cryo Nova
Welcome to the club, you can adjust the arm to stop a bit sooner so it doesn't hit the weight. There is a small hex screw in the base of the tone arm, you can loosen it to adjust the VTA, you can also rotate it a bit so the arm doesn't go quite so far towards the spindle. WARNING: Hang on to the tonearm shaft when you loosen the screw or it will drop straight down.

As for the motor noise, I'm really surprised you have any noise what so ever. Is it the motor or is it possibly a grounding issue?

Welcome to the club, you can adjust the arm to stop a bit sooner so it doesn't hit the weight. There is a small hex screw in the base of the tone arm, you can loosen it to adjust the VTA, you can also rotate it a bit so the arm doesn't go quite so far towards the spindle. WARNING: Hang on to the tonearm shaft when you loosen the screw or it will drop straight down.

As for the motor noise, I'm really surprised you have any noise what so ever. Is it the motor or is it possibly a grounding issue?

I didn't realise that the arm could move so freely. I moved my table recently and inadvertently moved the tonearm too far away from the platter. I have no idea how but I did. This caused the arm to not reach the end of the album and just skip back when it reached full extension.

I didn't realise it on my first spin and just put it down to a dirty record and gave it a thorough clean. On my second spin, I just assumed that it was a bad pressing. I realised there was some fuckery afoot when I played another album and the exact same thing happened.

Didn't someone else here have a motor noise issue as well?

Anywang....welcome new Mofi owner

Per MoFi, a very subtle motor noise is normal, but it should not be audible from a distance and absolutely should not transfer to the cartridge.

I did have a motor fail on my UltraDeck, but it was replaced under warranty.

Was just finishing reading this thread when I got the text from FedEx that my Ultradeck/Mastertracker has just been delivered at my local grocery store for pickup. So I'll be brief, cuz I gotta go!!

I've been eyeing these decks for years, but when I got the email from Music Direct that they would buy back my entry level Pro-Ject for full retail if I got a MoFi TT, I couldn't resist. It took all I could to resist the PS Audio Axpona sale they had going on, then this! Unfortunately when all was said and done, Illinois' 10.5% sales tax pretty much ate up my discount. So I'm basically getting it for $100 off with no tax & free shipping after my trade in. Oh well, I'm still excited.

I'll report back soon with my rig. Thanks in advance for all the posts so far. They've been helpful.

Was just finishing reading this thread when I got the text from FedEx that my Ultradeck/Mastertracker has just been delivered at my local grocery store for pickup. So I'll be brief, cuz I gotta go!!

I've been eyeing these decks for years, but when I got the email from Music Direct that they would buy back my entry level Pro-Ject for full retail if I got a MoFi TT, I couldn't resist. It took all I could to resist the PS Audio Axpona sale they had going on, then this! Unfortunately when all was said and done, Illinois' 10.5% sales tax pretty much ate up my discount. So I'm basically getting it for $100 off with no tax & free shipping after my trade in. Oh well, I'm still excited.

I'll report back soon with my rig. Thanks in advance for all the posts so far. They've been helpful.

Congrats! I hope you enjoy it. I really, really like the UD/MT combo.

p.s. welcome to n&g!

Last edited:

Gratz, welcome and from a fellow IL resident that's my biggest gripe with MD, not their fault, but it sure hurts that final price ;)

Nice Upgrade 👌🏻

Well - even though it's been a few days, I've only been able to spend a couple hours w/my new TT. That will change this weekend. My first impression after the first drop of the needle was how quiet it was! Then it was the separation of instruments, then it was the wider soundstage. I will admit, I kind of cheated with my first album, I put on The Nightfly. (At least it wasn't my Ultradisc 1-step copy). I can't wait to spend some more time and listen to "familiar" albums and see how they sound. And unfamiliar ones!

I've listed my rig below. This is what I currently have hooked up. I have stuff on the rack I substitute in every now and then.

I have also noticed how "Sutherland-heavy" this forum is! I've got an Insight boxed up. I'm currently using the Audio Alchemy PPA-1 with the PS-5 power supply. After some time with the AA, I will swap the Insight in & see what I think.

Happy listening everybody during this quarantine...

Turntable: Ultradeck
Cartridge: MasterTracker
Phono: Audio Alchemy PPA-1 w/PS-5 power supply
Preamp: Audio Alchemy DDP-1 (shares the same PS)
Amp: BAT VK-75SE
Speakers: Legacy Focus SE
Cables: Morrow & Cardas

Well - even though it's been a few days, I've only been able to spend a couple hours w/my new TT. That will change this weekend. My first impression after the first drop of the needle was how quiet it was! Then it was the separation of instruments, then it was the wider soundstage. I will admit, I kind of cheated with my first album, I put on The Nightfly. (At least it wasn't my Ultradisc 1-step copy). I can't wait to spend some more time and listen to "familiar" albums and see how they sound. And unfamiliar ones!

I've listed my rig below. This is what I currently have hooked up. I have stuff on the rack I substitute in every now and then.

I have also noticed how "Sutherland-heavy" this forum is! I've got an Insight boxed up. I'm currently using the Audio Alchemy PPA-1 with the PS-5 power supply. After some time with the AA, I will swap the Insight in & see what I think.

Nice ! The Audio Alchemy PPA-1 is still a very good Phono Pre.

If you decide you want to sell your Insight, you might want to hit up @Corycm

Back