MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Anyone having issues with Cue lever? The cue lever on StudioDeck I bought a month ago started going down on it's own.

My only gripe is the headshell width and the fact that with some records (I notice it mostly with singles) when using the record weight, the headshell will bump/ride up against the Mofi record weight, and I can’t imagine that is good for the stylus.

As mentioned by others you can adjust this, however I added an Audio Technica at6006r automatic tonearm lift and it is pretty awesome. Occasionally I have to adjust it for singles but almost every record I have this thing makes a huge difference in terms of convenience. There are other options if you want to pay more but this one does a really good job. Don't go cheaper though. I did... And the Chinese one I got was not sensitive enough.

thanks.
It was open box but hopefully will be replaceable. I just don’t want to be without a deck. :-/
If your open box StudioDeck was from Music Direct, Crutchfield, Audio Advice, or probably any authorized MoFi dealer, then it includes the full manufacturer warranty. And you bought it within the last 60 days, right? Then you're still within the return window for Music Direct and Crutchfield, if that's where you got it.

Last edited:
If your open box StudioDeck was from Music Direct, Crutchfield, Audio Advice, or probably any authorized MoFi dealer, then it includes the full manufacturer warranty. And you bought it within the last 60 days, right? Then you're still within the return window for Music Direct and Crutchfield, if that's where you got it.
Sure. They are. I’m just dreading not having a backup with speakers coming in this week.

Sure. They are. I’m just dreading not having a backup with speakers coming in this week.

They will likely do a full replacement. But for me, they mailed the new one and once I received it I packed up the old one and returned it to Crutchfield. The other good news is that you'll presumably get a brand new deck, rather than an open box.

They will likely do a full replacement. But for me, they mailed the new one and once I received it I packed up the old one and returned it to Crutchfield. The other good news is that you'll presumably get a brand new deck, rather than an open box.
This is what they just let me know on replacement. But I have to send first. I got one without a cart and let them know. Surely they won’t send one with a cart.
I guess I’ll be down a couple weeks.

Surely they won’t send one with a cart.
You never know...;)
I finally took the leap and ordered a StudioDeck turntable. Found an open box unit with no cartridge for $960 (20% off) at Music Direct. The rep said the unit was returned because they sent the wrong item. I figured the buyer probably didn't even unpack it, and I have an AT-VM95ML which would pair nicely.

The unit arrived and I noticed the exterior box read StudioDeck+M. Opened it up and there it was on the tonearm, a MasterTracker cartridge. And, as suspected, everything was wrapped tight and the unit appears to be like new. Set it up and it sounds terrific, MoFi and Music Direct rock!

Last edited:
Hello to all MOFI lowers,
I am new in that forum, just about to order an Ultra Deck and as usual do any music lover hesitating between Ultra Tracker and Master Tracker...
I sold my Clearaudio Performance DC + Clarify + Ortofon 2M Black before Corona days in order to upgrade to Innovation Basic + Tracer + Talisman... but now the delivery delays being very long with Clearaudio I decided to go for a decent TT out of stock which can be delivered rapidly... after some research and reading, I think MOFI will be a very good choice even may be for long term as I always found that Clearaudio is a bit clinical for my jazz records from 50' and 60'... I have Acoustech PH-1 Premium (designed by Ron Sutherland) phono amp...
So I would be more than happy to read opinions of you guys living with those cartridges...
Greetings from home @ Brussels / Belgium

I am new in that forum, just about to order an Ultra Deck and as usual do any music lover hesitating between Ultra Tracker and Master Tracker...
I sold my Clearaudio Performance DC + Clarify + Ortofon 2M Black before Corona days in order to upgrade to Innovation Basic + Tracer + Talisman... but now the delivery delays being very long with Clearaudio I decided to go for a decent TT out of stock which can be delivered rapidly... after some research and reading, I think MOFI will be a very good choice even may be for long term as I always found that Clearaudio is a bit clinical for my jazz records from 50' and 60'... I have Acoustech PH-1 Premium (designed by Ron Sutherland) phono amp...
So I would be more than happy to read opinions of you guys living with those cartridges...

@AnthonyI has had both cartridges, so I’ll page him for you.

Welcome to the group! If you can swing the Mastertracker I would go that route for sure. Very dynamic, amazing tracking and a joy to listen to, it has a very "real" presentation. The Ultrtracker is no slouch though and if the budget is an issue, going this route isn't going to be a huge compromise. The only downside to both of these carts (and others like them) is the non-user replaceable stylus and this becomes quite the mental debate because there are some very, VERY, appealing and solid options at about half the price and stylus replacement is simple and inexpensive.

If the bundled price for the table and cart are appealing, go with the MoFi cart you can afford, if it's worth getting the table without the cart and tossing a Grado Gold V3 on there for $260..........that's a real appealing and solid option as well. This also depends on your comfort level of installing a cartridge.

All that being said, you'll be really happy with any of these scenarios, so it's up to your wallet ;)

Welcome to the group! If you can swing the Mastertracker I would go that route for sure. Very dynamic, amazing tracking and a joy to listen to, it has a very "real" presentation. The Ultrtracker is no slouch though and if the budget is an issue, going this route isn't going to be a huge compromise. The only downside to both of these carts (and others like them) is the non-user replaceable stylus and this becomes quite the mental debate because there are some very, VERY, appealing and solid options at about half the price and stylus replacement is simple and inexpensive.

If the bundled price for the table and cart are appealing, go with the MoFi cart you can afford, if it's worth getting the table without the cart and tossing a Grado Gold V3 on there for $260..........that's a real appealing and solid option as well. This also depends on your comfort level of installing a cartridge.

All that being said, you'll be really happy with any of these scenarios, so it's up to your wallet ;)

I will say this @nergenek don’t be put off by the low price of the Grado Gold3. It won’t be the bottleneck in your system. I’m using mine with a Sutherland Duo and it is literally the best musical presentation I’ve ever heard at home, and by a decent margin too. On paper, a $260 cartridge running into a $4000 phono stage seems like utter madness. My ears tell me otherwise.

Thank you Anthonyl for this nice feedback... My hesitation is not budgetary related but mainly concerning the debate nude elliptical vs micro-line... According to my experience elliptical may play "less" detailed but more "musical" and micro-line more detailed but also more " clinical" as micro-line was invented in the 80's to dig quadrophonic records with much more detail... I don't know if you share this view... So I do not want to forget the music and start to listen "sound" again as I discovered high-end and re-discovered vinyl 20 years ago... I just want to listen music with good sound...
But may be I am totally wrong comparing Ultra Tracker & Master Tracker in this ground... This is where your guidance will be very precious to me.
Concerning other carts, I agree with you but for the time being I need a plug&play TT... I will consider others when I appropriate the Ultra Deck and its stylus start to worn out...

Thank you Anthonyl for this nice feedback... My hesitation is not budgetary related but mainly concerning the debate nude elliptical vs micro-line... According to my experience elliptical may play "less" detailed but more "musical" and micro-line more detailed but also more " clinical" as micro-line was invented in the 80's to dig quadrophonic records with much more detail... I don't know if you share this view... So I do not want to forget the music and start to listen "sound" again as I discovered high-end and re-discovered vinyl 20 years ago... I just want to listen music with good sound...
But may be I am totally wrong comparing Ultra Tracker & Master Tracker in this ground... This is where your guidance will be very precious to me.
Concerning other carts, I agree with you but for the time being I need a plug&play TT... I will consider others when I appropriate the Ultra Deck and its stylus start to worn out...
I'm with you on musicality over sound, there is of course a fine line between being detailed and musical, but it is one of those "make or break" things that is more personal than "..........this is better than that". I've been on a bit of a cart journey as of late, and the Mastertracker is working out really well, but, the one thing it's missing, for me, is the warmth you get from a Grado cart, which I'm a huge fan of. I'm sure in time I'll end up back in the Grado camp, but I've always been more the type to listen for myself and go from there. All systems are different, this also goes for our ears, so we can give an idea of the sound characteristics of a cart, but then it falls on your own preferences and opinions.

There are always some trade-offs, I'll stick to my original comments and if the budget isn't a problem, bundle the deck with the Mastertracker and enjoy it until it's time to replace it ;)

Nice post and welcome.

One small thing- Shibata styli were introduced in the early ‘70s for quadophonic records. Microline styli came in the early ‘80s.

Back