MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Hi All - new member here. I've had the UltraDeck+M for about a year now and loving getting into vinyl after barely dipping my toe in the water in high school. I got HiFi bug around then (late 80's) but CD's had already taken hold and I fell into the digital is better camp. Oh what I've been missing!

In any case since this is my first "real" turntable so I am not familiar with all the tweaking that can be done. I don't see many people referencing adjustments to the VTA and Azimuth on these decks as most buy with the cartridge installed and they are supposedly set at the factory. I am wondering how many of you have checked these settings and found they need adjustment? I went back to the manual and it states the tonearm should be at a height that the arm is parallel to the record surface.. just by eye I could see mine was not so I adjusted it (carefully) and I'll be damned if it doesn't sound better! I had to adjust the VTF after of course. I haven't used any equipment to make measurements on the VTA or Azimuth though.. thoughts?

@dlauerphoto
Turntable: MoFi UltraDeck
Cartridge: MoFi Mastertracker
Phono: Rouge Audio Ares Tube
Amp: Atoll IN200 Signature
Speakers: Merlin VSM-M
Power Conditioner: Equitech Son of Q
Audio Cables: Acoustic Zen WOW
Speaker Cable: Acoustic Zen Hologram II
Power Cables: Variety

Hi All - new member here. I've had the UltraDeck+M for about a year now and loving getting into vinyl after barely dipping my toe in the water in high school. I got HiFi bug around then (late 80's) but CD's had already taken hold and I fell into the digital is better camp. Oh what I've been missing!

In any case since this is my first "real" turntable so I am not familiar with all the tweaking that can be done. I don't see many people referencing adjustments to the VTA and Azimuth on these decks as most buy with the cartridge installed and they are supposedly set at the factory. I am wondering how many of you have checked these settings and found they need adjustment? I went back to the manual and it states the tonearm should be at a height that the arm is parallel to the record surface.. just by eye I could see mine was not so I adjusted it (carefully) and I'll be damned if it doesn't sound better! I had to adjust the VTF after of course. I haven't used any equipment to make measurements on the VTA or Azimuth though.. thoughts?

@dlauerphoto
Turntable: MoFi UltraDeck
Cartridge: MoFi Mastertracker
Phono: Rouge Audio Ares Tube
Amp: Atoll IN200 Signature
Speakers: Merlin VSM-M
Power Conditioner: Equitech Son of Q
Audio Cables: Acoustic Zen WOW
Speaker Cable: Acoustic Zen Hologram II
Power Cables: Variety

Welcome!

I had to adjust the azimuth on mine-it was off.

I’m no longer running a MoFi cartridge, so VTA has been adjusted as well.

Welcome!

I had to adjust the azimuth on mine-it was off.

I’m no longer running a MoFi cartridge, so VTA has been adjusted as well.

I had to tweak my azimuth after changing carts, but I never checked it on the factory-mounted MasterTracker.

I don't see many people referencing adjustments to the VTA and Azimuth on these decks as most buy with the cartridge installed and they are supposedly set at the factory. I am wondering how many of you have checked these settings and found they need adjustment? I went back to the manual and it states the tonearm should be at a height that the arm is parallel to the record surface.. just by eye I could see mine was not so I adjusted it (carefully) and I'll be damned if it doesn't sound better! I had to adjust the VTF after of course. I haven't used any equipment to make measurements on the VTA or Azimuth though.. thoughts?

Hi @dlauerphoto,

Welcome to the forum!

I bought my Ultradeck from my local dealer but I wanted just the bare turntable w/o a cartridge. He had one that came fitted with the MasterTracker so he just took off that cartridge. I installed my Hana SL and later realized a couple of things:

1. I counted the notches incorrectly (at least I think I did). I'd accidentally put it on the 2nd notch instead of the 1st. Once I fixed it, it sounded more clear (by a tiny margin...I didn't notice any other symptoms, BTW).
2. I also re-leveled it...that took care of "fuzzy" treble. Cleared it right up.
3. I used the Hi-FiNews Analogue Test LP along with a cheap protractor & azimuth gauge to make sure stuff wasn't too off and luckily stuff checked out. I also tried a cheap USB microscope but don't think it helped. Not sure if I got lucky or I just don't know what I'm doing, but everything checked out and I'm really happy with mine.

Hope this helps!
Thomas

Hello to all,
Today I received my Ultradeck+U and installed it. Very easy...
I have two questions to the experts:

1) When starting I have to give a "go" to the platter, if not the belt slips a while... is that normal ? will it passed in some days or I have to do it always?

2) There is a balancing movement with the motor capstan... no noise, nothing hearable but just a visual movement... any idea? (Unfortunately I can not download a video to the forum)

Thanks for your help

Hello to all,
Today I received my Ultradeck+U and installed it. Very easy...
I have two questions to the experts:

1) When starting I have to give a "go" to the platter, if not the belt slips a while... is that normal ? will it passed in some days or I have to do it always?

2) There is a balancing movement with the motor capstan... no noise, nothing hearable but just a visual movement... any idea? (Unfortunately I can not download a video to the forum)

Thanks for your help

Both are normal.

@HiFi Guy , @displayname , @kvetcha and @AnthonyI , @ all others interested:

Did you notice that on the Ultradeck the foot under the motor goes down lower, i.e. the gap between the two parts of the foot is becoming smaller +/- 1mm compared to the one under the tonearm base +/- 2mm?
I exchanged the two feet behind (which have different shape than the ones in front) after some time same thing happened... At the moment the table is posed on the rack they are equal... After some time they are both descending but differently... see the picture.

Apart the two other earlier mentioned points that you found normal and this foot annoying me I am very happy with the UltraDeck and the Ultra Tracker... They are excellent... Great sound and musicality already after some hours ( B.T.W. I cheated by using the Cardas burn-in record some hours which is a game changer with new cartridges) , dead silent table, no audible distorsion, no sibilance, very stable speed...

Have a nice musical weekend...

IMG_1579.JPG

Reactions: Tyr

Did you notice that on the Ultradeck the foot under the motor goes down lower, i.e. the gap between the two parts of the foot is becoming smaller +/- 1mm compared to the one under the tonearm base +/- 2mm?
I exchanged the two feet behind (which have different shape than the ones in front) after some time same thing happened... At the moment the table is posed on the rack they are equal... After some time they are both descending but differently... see the picture.

Apart the two other earlier mentioned points that you found normal and this foot annoying me I am very happy with the UltraDeck and the Ultra Tracker... They are excellent... Great sound and musicality already after some hours ( B.T.W. I cheated by using the Cardas burn-in record some hours which is a game changer with new cartridges) , dead silent table, no audible distorsion, no sibilance, very stable speed...

View attachment 45898

They are adjustable anti-vibration feet. You can turn the base to level out the foot.

I imagine the weight under the motor is greater than on the tonearm side of the table, so you may need to tweak it to get the platter level.

I’d also suggest switching the feet back to how they came. If they’re asymmetrical it’s probably for a reason.

View attachment 45898

I leveled mine. It stayed level so I’ve not given it another thought. I’ll agree with @kvetcha put the feet back as the factory intended.

They are identical and not asymmetrical... At the beginning they look equal, and after +/- 1 hour the one under the motor, probably because of greater load is descending more than the other... And I would like to know if this is normal...

Concerning levelling it does not make any remarkable difference... I measured before and after...

When you have time and if you can look to your ones to see if any difference (1 mm ) between two back feet I'll be happy to know...

A picture from MOFI site is also showing some difference between the two back feet... may be this is inormal...

Mofi.jpg

Mofi 2.jpeg

They are identical and not asymmetrical... At the beginning they look equal, and after +/- 1 hour the one under the motor, probably because of greater load is descending more than the other... And I would like to know if this is normal...

Concerning levelling it does not make any remarkable difference... I measured before and after...

When you have time and if you can look to your ones to see if any difference (1 mm ) between two back feet I'll be happy to know...

A picture from MOFI site is also showing some difference between the two back feet... may be this is inormal...

View attachment 45904

View attachment 45906

the real question is: is the platter level?

For the record, my motor-side foot is also slightly compressed versus the tone arm side, but the table and platter are completely level.

I never looked at the feet that closely. Got the platter level, gave the plinth a little push to feel to spring action, and never gave it another thought.
Maybe once I pull the deck out of storage I'll look out of curiosity.

Good day to All...
Following your recommendations I ordered an UltraDeck+M via the Belgian dealer... After checking with the Benelux Mofi distributor he informed me that the UltraDeck+M is unfortunately not in stock and should come from US... Taking into account current shipment delays due to Covid-19 pandemic I accepted to start with UltraDeck+U which is in stock and will be delivered quickly...
Will keep you informed when received...

Good luck and enjoy!!!

View attachment 45904

View attachment 45906

The thickness of the base of the front feet is thinner/shorter than that that of the back feet, giving you the illusion that they aren't level.

Back