MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

As for connecting a bluetooth adapter to your receiver, I would connect it either to tape out or preamp out, depending on whether your speakers have a convenient volume control.

Man... I ordered an Okki Nokki RCM and cleaned about a dozen records last night. Holy shit... The difference it makes on even new albums with the Hana SL is incredible. The MC really shines on a freshly cleaned record. I cleaned some of my albums that are 50 years old and they looked clean to the naked eye but wow... After a cleaning the sound stage opens up, the background notes show up and the music is beautifully separated. I listened to Yellow Submarine and Working Dead and it was a completely new experience.

Waiting on an order of rice paper sleeves to show up before I clean any more but that was money well spent.

Man... I ordered an Okki Nokki RCM and cleaned about a dozen records last night. Holy shit... The difference it makes on even new albums with the Hana SL is incredible. The MC really shines on a freshly cleaned record. I cleaned some of my albums that are 50 years old and they looked clean to the naked eye but wow... After a cleaning the sound stage opens up, the background notes show up and the music is beautifully separated. I listened to Yellow Submarine and Working Dead and it was a completely new experience.

Waiting on an order of rice paper sleeves to show up before I clean any more but that was money well spent.
Again, a clean record is a happy record ;)

Anyone have any luck with bluetooth adapters for a reciever that doesn't have a Bluetooth out? I have a few sonos and im thinking about a Naim speaker for an outdoor firepit seating arrangement.

I am using this with my iMAC in APTX mode... then it goes to my Musical Fidelity M1 upsampling DAC with optical cable and the result is very surprisingly satisfactory to my ears...

Phono is first on my list, any recommendations under $1000?
If you search used, you can often find Sutherland gear for the same price as the next model down. A little patience can get you an Insight for about $900 or so (the same price as a K.C. Vibe).
Here's a Sutherland Insight phono preamp for $999. Not quite $900, but definitely under $1000.

I'd snag this, but I have other pressing stereo related needs (ie a proper stereo rack/cabinet). I've purchased my current amp and phonostage from them, as well as sold them other gear. All very professional and above board.

Last edited:
I'd snag this, but I have other pressing stereo related needs (ie a proper stereo rack/cabinet). I've purchased my current amp and phonostage from them, as well as sold them other gear. All very professional and above board.

Oh wow, not bad.

Looking at the specs on the Hana, they recommend 400 ohms loading. But the impedance of the SL is 30 ohms, so I’d say start at 300 ohms loading and move up from there. You can tune this by ear. You also won’t hurt anything by exceeding 400 ohms.

As far as gain, I’m thinking 58-62 dB should be a good setting, but this is system dependent. Again you won’t hurt anything by going a little lower or higher.

I’m in agreement with @displayname - that’s a nice system. I would recommend a vacuum record cleaning machine if you don’t have one. It’s a game changer.

Good news, my new best audiophile friend Tyr sent me the Sutherland Insight that showed up today. Could use your (or anyone's) advice on the Gain/Loading settings for the Hana SL. The Insight has the following options:

Gain:

Loading:

I was thinking about starting with Gain 60db and Loading at 1K. I'm a novice at this... Based on the Hana SL/Ultradeck combo, does anyone have a strong recommendation on settings either way? Also not sure what I should listen for if for example I keep the settings at 1K and alternate from 55 to 60 on the gain.

Big thanks again to @Tyr . Venmoed him Friday night and he shipped Saturday morning. Buy his stuff if you're interested!

Jfyi - Hana recommends >400 Ohms so I assume 1k is the right constant and adjust the Gain appropriately.

Good news, my new best audiophile friend Tyr sent me the Sutherland Insight that showed up today. Could use your (or anyone's) advice on the Gain/Loading settings for the Hana SL. The Insight has the following options:

Gain:

Loading:

I was thinking about starting with Gain 60db and Loading at 1K. I'm a novice at this... Based on the Hana SL/Ultradeck combo, does anyone have a strong recommendation on settings either way? Also not sure what I should listen for if for example I keep the settings at 1K and alternate from 55 to 60 on the gain.

Big thanks again to @Tyr . Venmoed him Friday night and he shipped Saturday morning. Buy his stuff if you're interested!

Jfyi - Hana recommends >400 Ohms so I assume 1k is the right constant and adjust the Gain appropriately.

You are on the right track. 60 dB gain and 1k ohms loading is where I’d set it.

Gain:

Loading:

Don't be afraid to experiment, you can't break it. Try 55db gain too and let your ears decide.

The Insight really upgraded my whole system. Noticeable difference in the Soundstage and highlighting the musical components as recordings intended. The only downside is now I need to save enough coin to upgrade my speakers...
So glad to hear that my man! It really does make quite the difference. Big thanks to @HiFi Guy for all the help through these years :)

Back