MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Well I understood slightly different...
Steve says that in MoFi they are used to listen master tapes (via let's say Studer R2R tape players).
Since 40+ years they are producing vinyl records using these master tapes.
Five years ago they started a project to produce a turntable ( not only the cartridge) which will give the same sound of the tapes but via the vinyl records they produced using the master tapes.
And he says that they think they succeeded...
So as you mentioned they are comparing the master tapes sound with vinyl record sound played on the MoFi turntable but in their environment, could be mastering studio or elsewhere...
I think until there we agree...

Now here is my point of view which is a bit different... imagine you have a Studer in your listening room at home and you listen these master tapes through your environment (space, acoustics, electronics, speakers) then you compare their sound with the sound of MoFi records on your MoFi turntable through the same environment... both should sound similar if they really succeeded...

I read many reviews saying that MoFi turntables are sounding like R2R tape players but we all know how reviews are written...

Anyway I agree with the rest of your comments about the Ultradeck... After years passed in trying to find better sound with Clearaudio Performance brand (first one , then SE, then DC), tonearms like Satisfy and Clarify and different cartridges (Maestro wood, Maestro ebony V2, Ortofon 2M Black) with budgets at least double of MoFi I am very surprisingly satisfied as from the day one with Ultradeck + U... I think I found the sound that I was looking for... now I am listening again music...

Well I understood slightly different...
Steve says that in MoFi they are used to listen master tapes (via let's say Studer R2R tape players).
Since 40+ years they are producing vinyl records using these master tapes.
Five years ago they started a project to produce a turntable ( not only the cartridge) which will give the same sound of the tapes but via the vinyl records they produced using the master tapes.
And he says that they think they succeeded...
So as you mentioned they are comparing the master tapes sound with vinyl record sound played on the MoFi turntable but in their environment, could be mastering studio or elsewhere...
I think until there we agree...

Now here is my point of view which is a bit different... imagine you have a Studer in your listening room at home and you listen these master tapes through your environment (space, acoustics, electronics, speakers) then you compare their sound with the sound of MoFi records on your MoFi turntable through the same environment... both should sound similar if they really succeeded...

I read many reviews saying that MoFi turntables are sounding like R2R tape players but we all know how reviews are written...

Anyway I agree with the rest of your comments about the Ultradeck... After years passed in trying to find better sound with Clearaudio Performance brand (first one , then SE, then DC), tonearms like Satisfy and Clarify and different cartridges (Maestro wood, Maestro ebony V2, Ortofon 2M Black) with budgets at least double of MoFi I am very surprisingly satisfied as from the day one with Ultradeck + U... I think I found the sound that I was looking for... now I am listening again music...

I was likely the first to compare the sound of the Ultradeck to an open reel deck, as I wrote the first review of the Ultradeck.

I agree with you point in regards to comparing a Studer to a MoFi in the same system. They should sound close. But they won’t sound like what the engineer hears at the California mastering studio.

I’m glad you are enjoying your MoFi.

I was likely the first to compare the sound of the Ultradeck to an open reel deck, as I wrote the first review of the Ultradeck.

I agree with you point in regards to comparing a Studer to a MoFi in the same system. They should sound close. But they won’t sound like what the engineer hears at the California mastering studio.

I’m glad you are enjoying your MoFi.
It was your review that brought me to the VMP forum in the first place! I was juuuust getting into gear and was/am very interested in the Mofi deck and looking for more info. I dug the welcoming, non patronizing vibe and have stuck around ever since. Thanks @HiFi Guy !

Last edited:
Is the Mofi Super Heavy Weight magnetic? I've switched to an MC cart and the weight I've been using literally grabbed my cartridge when it got to the end of the record then when I lifted the arm it lifted the weight with it the connection was so strong - gave me a heart attack.

Is the Mofi Super Heavy Weight magnetic? I've switched to an MC cart and the weight I've been using literally grabbed my cartridge when it got to the end of the record then when I lifted the arm it lifted the weight with it the connection was so strong - gave me a heart attack.
It's made of some sort of composite material, just to make sure I tossed a magnet on it..........it's not ;)

A magnetic part so close to the cartridge seems high risk to me.

Here’s a tip. I’m always fighting dust on my MoFi but found a great solution. Auto detail gel. Just dab or it can be rolled. Works great on everything: plinth, arm, platter and dust cover. Can be gently pressed into recessed areas. Reusable, I’m guessing 50-100 times. Ten minutes and my Ultradeck looks brand new.

Here’s a tip. I’m always fighting dust on my MoFi but found a great solution. Auto detail gel. Just dab or it can be rolled. Works great on everything: plinth, arm, platter and dust cover. Can be gently pressed into recessed areas. Reusable, I’m guessing 50-100 times. Ten minutes and my Ultradeck looks brand new.

Thanks... Unfortunately "currently unavailable" on Amazon... I will google to see if I can find it in Europe.

Back