MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Last week my Thorens TD160 died and now after some repairs on it I've come to the conclusion to buy a new one. Now I'm in the dilemma of buying a Rega Planar 6 or the Ultradeck.

Which of the two sound better or are they equally in sound quality?

I don't know if this is the correct topic because I'm asking for a comparison, but I leaning more to the Ultradeck atm....

Easy recommendation between the two from me: MoFi.

Arm can accommodate tall cartridges without shims or hitting the dust cover.

Arm is longer for lower tracking error.

Adjustable azimuth on arm.

No platter mat on MoFi. Platter mat on Rega is prone to sticking to the record (static electricity) when flipping the album.

Also, do a search for warped/sagging plinths on Rega P6. Some have experienced this- with picture documentation.

We are , well at least me, MoFi lovers... so nobody here will tell you to go for Rega...
Just to give you my experience, which is a short one as I have the UltraDeck since two weeks, after many TTs during years the last one being Clearaudio Performance DC with Clarify tonearm and Maestro V2 Ebony I find the great pleasure to listen music with my UltraDeck... You can compare their features but to mention one, MoFi with 10 inch tonearm makes the difference...

so nobody here will tell you to go for Rega...
I think there are a few reasons to give Rega a strong consideration.
- You know you love Rega carts and fully intend to stay in the Rega ecosystem.
- You have an opportunity to move up a level due to closeout pricing (ex: RP8)
- You live in Europe and the pricing is in favor of Rega

If you check all 3 boxes, Rega will make you very happy. For me, the lack of flexibility with non-Rega carts was the real deal breaker.

I think there are a few reasons to give Rega a strong consideration.
- You know you love Rega carts and fully intend to stay in the Rega ecosystem.
- You have an opportunity to move up a level due to closeout pricing (ex: RP8)
- You live in Europe and the pricing is in favor of Rega

If you check all 3 boxes, Rega will make you very happy. For me, the lack of flexibility with non-Rega carts was the real deal breaker.

The last point is also besides the badass design and build quality of the Ultradeck that makes me more to it. The Rega seems nice but I've set my decision on the Ultradeck, thanks you all for the advice :).

For carts, I'm more experienced with Nagaoka and Ortofon when it comes to sound imaging. But I'm more into the sound of the Nagaoka carts. How does this compare to the Mastertracker/Ultratracker?

I've only heard the MasterTracker, but I think it's a very, very good cart. Big step up from the Ortofons I've heard.

No experience with Nagaoka, though!

The last point is also besides the badass design and build quality of the Ultradeck that makes me more to it. The Rega seems nice but I've set my decision on the Ultradeck, thanks you all for the advice :).

For carts, I'm more experienced with Nagaoka and Ortofon when it comes to sound imaging. But I'm more into the sound of the Nagaoka carts. How does this compare to the Mastertracker/Ultratracker?

Which Nagaoka are you looking at? One member here runs an MP-150. I’ve considered an MP-500 many times.

Which Nagaoka are you looking at? One member here runs an MP-150. I’ve considered an MP-500 many times.

The cart I've used for some time is the mp110, nothing fancy, but with the Thorens TD 160 it provided me with a good sound from my records.

So yeah, that's my reference. I was planning to step up at the time to the mp200, but I'll skip that when I go for the Ultradeck with the Mastertracker next month.

Last edited:
I had the MP-150 on a U-Turn, but that's hardly a fair comparison to the MasterTracker on on the UD.

I've been given no reason to look outside of the MasterTracker, which is running strong. Once it needs replacing (likely later this year) I will probably demo the Hana ML, but that's about it. Bigger fish to fry in the system.

Has anyone had any kind of static with their turntable? If i touch the plinth, especially the aluminum part, i'll get a humming and slight crackle occasionally. And some times after i had listened to an album and lifted the record up, there would be a slight crackle in the speakers but after getting the Super Heavyweight it's become a hiss+pop. I think there's like a static charge in the spindle that's released when i lift the record. But it's only after listening to Side B. There's nothing when i flip from A to B. The hiss+pop thing from the Super Heavyweight is also a newer thing as it didn't do that the first few times i used it. And it's coming out of the left speaker only, i think.

Has anyone had any kind of static with their turntable? If i touch the plinth, especially the aluminum part, i'll get a humming and slight crackle occasionally. And some times after i had listened to an album and lifted the record up, there would be a slight crackle in the speakers but after getting the Super Heavyweight it's become a hiss+pop. I think there's like a static charge in the spindle that's released when i lift the record. But it's only after listening to Side B. There's nothing when i flip from A to B. The hiss+pop thing from the Super Heavyweight is also a newer thing as it didn't do that the first few times i used it. And it's coming out of the left speaker only, i think.

I had that on my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC, and I have it on the Ultradeck. It's very weather-dependent. When the air is particularly dry, static definitely builds up.

Dear MoFi friends, my Facebook "MoFi Electronics Lovers" page is slowly but surely filling with members...

Lastly we welcome Jonathan Derda, National Sales Manager for MoFi in the USA as member... I shared with you the first information we learned from him concerning the alignment of cartridge:

"Many of our customers use the MoFi GeoDisc or the Dr.Feickert Next Gen Protractor to precisely align their own cartridge.
The pivot to spindle is the critical number for using the Feickert protractor. Both models are 236mm and we align to Loefgren B.
"

See also a presentation by Steve Shade, Director of International Sales MoFi Electronics:

Have a nice and healthy Sunday...

Dear MoFi friends, my Facebook "MoFi Electronics Lovers" page is slowly but surely filling with members...

Lastly we welcome Jonathan Derda, National Sales Manager for MoFi in the USA as member... I shared with you the first information we learned from him concerning the alignment of cartridge:

"Many of our customers use the MoFi GeoDisc or the Dr.Feickert Next Gen Protractor to precisely align their own cartridge.
The pivot to spindle is the critical number for using the Feickert protractor. Both models are 236mm and we align to Loefgren B.
"

See also a presentation by Steve Shade, Director of International Sales MoFi Electronics:

Ok, I'm in since I can't abandon FB, I might as well try and fill it with hobby news, lol.

"

I watched this and have one point to make.

The video states that the MoFi cartridges were voiced to recreate the sound of what they hear in the mastering studio. All well and good, but the end user won’t get this for numerous reasons:

Different listening space
Different amplification
Different phono stage

My personal opinion is that the tables are better than the cartridges. If you want a “just the facts ma’am” presentation, the cartridges are a fine choice. If you want a cartridge with some “personality” for system tuning or personal preference, you likely won’t be happy long term with the MoFi cartridges.

The Ultradeck is extremely neutral. It’s easy to get the most out of one’s cartridge and record collection. October this year makes 3 years with mine. I still love it. With system changes/upgrades, it’s a better turntable than I initially thought- and I liked it a lot from the start.

Back