Metal!

What is the best metal record to drop in 2018-19 so far? proper metal (not hard rock)

Well Iron Mother Horse and Asthma Castle are my top stoner/doom releases so far this year. Green Lung - Woodlands Rites, Dead Witches - The Final Exorcism and Clouds Taste Satanic - Evil Eye would be runner ups to round out my 5.

Now for proper metal? There’s so many bases that could cover. Frosthelm - Pyrrhic, Vanum - Agless Fire, Hath - Of Rot and Ruin, Wachenfeldt - The Interpreter and Critical Defiance - Misconception. There’s a ton more but those are my standouts.

Maybe @Goatfish or @Nathaniel.D could help with some that haven’t been shared as well.

Last edited:
What is the best metal record to drop in 2018-19 so far? proper metal (not hard rock)
For me, so far this year it has been Suhnopfer's album Hic Regnant Borbonii Manes
Some great Black Metal with some atmo thrown in for good measure. Hits that sweet spot for my metal tastes.

I skimmed it.
Loved the dark souls/bloodborne connection
Didnt mind the guitar/drum work
Couldnt stand the vocal side of it.. sounds like a warthog having sex or something lol

Highlight = Guitars
Lowlight = Vocals.

Thanks for the recommendation!

I feel ya. The vocals on so much modern metal are the turn off for me.

Well Iron Mother Horse and Asthma Castle are my top stoner/doom releases so far this year. Green Lung - Woodlands Rites, Dead Witches - The Final Exorcism and Clouds Taste Satanic - Evil Eye would be runner ups to round out my 5.

Now for proper metal? There’s so many bases that could cover. Frosthelm - Pyrrhic, Vanum - Agless Fire, Hath - Of Rot and Ruin, Wachenfeldt - The Interpreter and Critical Defiance - Misconception. There’s a ton more but those are my standouts.

Maybe @Goatfish or @Nathaniel.D could help with some that haven’t been shared as well.
@Believer101 personally it's been a pretty slow start to the year for me with stoner/doom. I've also been swamped with work since like February so I haven't been able to pay much attention to music that's been coming out. Definitely some great Black Metal though. I cannot recommend enough Vanum - Ageless Fire. It's some great shit. Also really been digging the new Panopticon EP, and very much excited for the new Falls of Rauros that's coming out later this summer.

The new Sprit Adrift, Magic Circle, and The Well are all great for some old school doomy heavy metal. Spirit Adrift is probably the heaviest of those 3.

@Believer101 personally it's been a pretty slow start to the year for me with stoner/doom. I've also been swamped with work since like February so I haven't been able to pay much attention to music that's been coming out. Definitely some great Black Metal though. I cannot recommend enough Vanum - Ageless Fire. It's some great shit. Also really been digging the new Panopticon EP, and very much excited for the new Falls of Rauros that's coming out later this summer.

The new Sprit Adrift, Magic Circle, and The Well are all great for some old school doomy heavy metal. Spirit Adrift is probably the heaviest of those 3.
Oh, also, I just got the new Full of Hell if you're into having pure noise pumped straight into your head.

Back