Metal!

was having a discussion about metal on a messenger group chat the other day; might as well bring it to this board...

who is the most 'relevant' act in metal?

i was saying mastodon, another person was saying that they're not really metal per se

someone else said the fact that metallica are still a going concern and headlining stadia around the world means that they are still top of the tree, but i and another were arguing that that has more to do with nostalgia than relevancy, akin to how ac/dc are still a stadium act

we were all pretty much in agreement that tool are prog rock not metal, and that all these fauxemo bands that masquerade as metal aren't REALLY metal

what about slipknot? baroness? ghost?

was having a discussion about metal on a messenger group chat the other day; might as well bring it to this board...

who is the most 'relevant' act in metal?

i was saying mastodon, another person was saying that they're not really metal per se

someone else said the fact that metallica are still a going concern and headlining stadia around the world means that they are still top of the tree, but i and another were arguing that that has more to do with nostalgia than relevancy, akin to how ac/dc are still a stadium act

we were all pretty much in agreement that tool are prog rock not metal, and that all these fauxemo bands that masquerade as metal aren't REALLY metal

what about slipknot? baroness? ghost?
I think “metal” as we once knew it is evolving. Ghost’s music is probably the closest thing to what people think of when they hear the term metal, and perhaps they are the most relevant band in the genre. I’m not sure about Baroness. I think the quality of their output has declined over the last few records, but their popularity doesn’t seem to have waned. I do know that Judas Priest’s last album was incredible,

So...anyone else who preordered the new Baroness debating the wisdom of that choice now? The newest singles sound...uh, not great.

Although it may not end up being my favorite record of theirs in the end, singles aren’t usually a way I can tell, I can say I kind of expected the change and will be happy to round out all of the colors. (I have all 180g Black copies).

Although it may not end up being my favorite record of theirs in the end, singles aren’t usually a way I can tell, I can say I kind of expected the change and will be happy to round out all of the colors. (I have all 180g Black copies).
Yeah, I'm fine with the musical direction. I more mean the sound of the recording/mix so far.

Yeah, I'm fine with the musical direction. I more mean the sound of the recording/mix so far.

trying to cancel my pre-order for store credit or something, anything, for exactly that reason.

the new stuff sounded good to great live (Showbox in Seattle has reliably great sound, mostly), but i was completely unprepared for how godawful the recording was. it's inexcusably shitty and almost unbelievable the band would put their name on it and release it, let alone in 4-5 different variants. major bummer.

Back