Metal!

I'd be remiss if I didn't drop in to share my longtime favorite band's new album.

Dir en grey's PHALARIS is out today!

Need a few more listens, but I def like it. Kinda feels like them getting back in a dark and more comfortable groove. Bookending the album with two 9+ minute tracks gave me a good laugh, too.

Grabbed the Blut Aus Nord - 777 trilogy of albums from the Deep Discount bin and they showed up today. Really impressive pressings!

I considered going to the Spiritbox/Mastodon/Ghost show and just leaving before Ghost. I love Spiritbox and Mastodon and cannot stand Ghost, and I'd beat the traffic.

But I just went to a show for the first time since pre-pandemic last week (Symphony X, Haken, and Trope It was awesome) and despite enjoying the bands very much, I felt quite uncomfortable and don't think concerts are for me anymore =(

I liked their early stuff. Lately they've gone a bit too pop though (in a metal sense).
cosign

their early stuff, especially the first album, was just note-perfect 80s metal nostalgia. the same way that like colemine records mission statement is a tacet "...so, like, soul music that sounds old timey, but is in fact, actually, brand new." or Riding Easy Records is basically "Not Actually Black Sabbath, but if you're stoned enough it won't matter". That first ghost album is absolutely "have you heard all your Judas Maiden albums and would like some more?". sadly nothing good lasts forever and everything after the 2nd album is just OK, imo.

Grabbed the Blut Aus Nord - 777 trilogy of albums from the Deep Discount bin and they showed up today. Really impressive pressings!
Wait, where did you get those?? I am a huge BAN fan, especially the 777 trilogy, and would love to score those!

Opus Eponymous and Meloria are my two favorite Ghost albums. It's been a lot of fun seeing the various incarnations of Papa, and the accompanying production on each tour.

I love the 80s arena rock vibe of Impera. I can't wait to see how well it translates in an actual arena later this year. Excited as hell for Mastodon and to check out Spiritbox too.

The tour support in the UK was Uncle Acid and Twin Temple. That would have been amazing.

Didn't know there was new In Flames.
I miss the keyboards =(

The Jester Race is still my favorite from these guys. It's such a bummer that so few (early) albums from bands like In Flames, Tiamat, Anathema, Moonspell, The Gathering, Amorphis, and Ulver are missing in action.

Pretty excited about the news of a new Devil's Witches album finally! The full reveal on the 8th and pre-orders should start on the 9th. Hopefully the Cosmic Peddler will have some copies for US friendly prices as well.

Back