Metal!

So death metal has never been my go to but every now and then it hits the spot. I’ve listened to some stuff that’s been posted on this thread for a bit now and renewed my interest for sure. I’m realizing though I might have missed some of the classics. I’m listening to the Carcass ‘Choice Cuts’ comp right now and realizing I’ve only heard their Heartwork album which has inspired me to ask for old school recommendations. I dig some Bolt Thrower, and the first few Death albums. I also remember being into some Deicide. I’m very aware of Cannibal Corpse but not sure my feelings on them. Let’s go from there.

tldr: recommend some classic death metal please and thanks.

So death metal has never been my go to but every now and then it hits the spot. I’ve listened to some stuff that’s been posted on this thread for a bit now and renewed my interest for sure. I’m realizing though I might have missed some of the classics. I’m listening to the Carcass ‘Choice Cuts’ comp right now and realizing I’ve only heard their Heartwork album which has inspired me to ask for old school recommendations. I dig some Bolt Thrower, and the first few Death albums. I also remember being into some Deicide. I’m very aware of Cannibal Corpse but not sure my feelings on them. Let’s go from there.

tldr: recommend some classic death metal please and thanks.

Death: all the albums are absolute classics. Few bands discographies have the very obvious trajectory and improvement that theirs does*. The early stuff (Leprosy, Scream Bloody Gore, Spiritual Healing,) is so very, very obviously "we are 18 and love horror movies and comix!" and the middle period of Human, Symbolic, Individual Thought Patterns are all technically each progressively better than the last in both skill and artistry (both musically and lyrically). In particular, the final album ("The sound of perseverance") is fantastic. Out of all the Florida death metal bands (and there's a lot....not much going on in central FL) Chuck was easily the nicest of the central figures. (Glenn Denton being famously....uh, impolite.)

*Contenders: Wire, XTC.

Further Death Metal to check out:

Obituary "Cause of Death"
Morbid Angel
Deicide
Entombed "Left Hand Path"
At The Gates
Possessed "7 Churches" (aka "What did Larry LaLonde do before Primus?")

for the record, I am not a fan of CCorpse either -- cartoony and gross in ways i Do Not Like No Thank You

Last edited:
Death: all the albums are absolute classics. Few bands discographies have the very obvious trajectory and improvement that theirs does*. The early stuff (Leprosy, Scream Bloody Gore, Spiritual Healing,) is so very, very obviously "we are 18 and love horror movies and comix!" and the middle period of Human, Symbolic, Individual Thought Patterns are all technically each progressively better than the last in both skill and artistry (both musically and lyrically). In particular, the final album ("The sound of perseverance") is fantastic. Out of all the Florida death metal bands (and there's a lot....not much going on in central FL) Chuck was easily the nicest of the central figures. (Glenn Denton being famously....uh, impolite.)

*Contenders: Wire, XTC.

Further Death Metal to check out:

Obituary "Cause of Death"
Morbid Angel
Deicide
Entombed "Left Hand Path"
At The Gates
Possessed "7 Churches" (aka "What did Larry LaLonde do before Primus?")

for the record, I am not a fan of CCorpse either -- cartoony and gross in ways i Do Not Like No Thank You

Love those first three Death albums but kinda brushed off the later stuff. Seven Churches is one of my favorite metal albums and I was surprised to see the internet calling it death metal when I was reading about it a while back. I kinda lumped it in with the satanic thrash sorta stuff I love. Had no idea anyone from Primus was involved.

Love those first three Death albums but kinda brushed off the later stuff. Seven Churches is one of my favorite metal albums and I was surprised to see the internet calling it death metal when I was reading about it a while back. I kinda lumped it in with the satanic thrash sorta stuff I love. Had no idea anyone from Primus was involved.
Death really turns a corner at symbolic but you can definitely hear them getting more technical at human, by individual thought patterns they do all sorts of stuff that other death metal bands were just not competent doing (fretless bass? Wtf?). Symbolic is by far my favorite though.

Last edited:
I want this on vinyl.

I asked them about it and got this as a reply so it doesn't seem too likely anytime in the near future at least.

We tried to get the vinyl but being a diy project it was a bit out of reach for us. We do have cds of the album and we are in talks with a company to get Cassettes soon. Maybe vinyl in the future fingers crossed but no plans as of now

It is a great album though that just keeps growing on me so hopefully they can make it happen at some point.

Back