May 2021 - Vinyl Spins Challenge Thread

Day 27: Celebrate Women

Grouper - Dragging A Dead Deer Up A Hill (2013, Kranky)

PXL_20210529_053710133._exported_601_1622266656308.jpg

Liz Harris is amazing. That's all.
Getting a little faded and floating away with this one after a long long week of work. The end of this gig is in sight, with some much needed vacation afterwards.

DAY 22
UGLY DUCKLING
Tyler, the Creator - IGOR
While Tyler's early music isn't bad, it's juvenile nature and tendency to rely on shock factor proved alienating and controversial to many. For many years, he was dismissed as nothing more than a provocateur looking for an excuse to offend as many people as he could. However, with the release of his 2017 album (Scum Fuck) Flower Boy, Tyler put many of the naysayers in their place, delivering a soulful and introspective album that showed a surprising maturity both sonically and lyrically. His follow up continued this trend, as Tyler weaves a narrative about a love triangle over unique and genre-bending production that only he could deliver. Nowadays Tyler has managed to solidify himself as much more than just a profane jokester, without sacrificing any of his musical individuality.
20210529_043904.jpg

Last edited:
DAY 23
FOOD
Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food
I don't have any cooking music because I don't really cook that much 😅 so I decided to go with an album with food in the title. Very creative, yes I know.
20210529_045013.jpg
As for examples of my culinary achievements... here are some wings I made earlier 😂😎
20210528_200546.jpg

Day 29: Play Me Something English - It’s where I was born. Bonus points for Mancunian acts!

Harry Styles - Fine Line

The latest in a line of great creatives to come out of England. Once he broke out of the boy band he started doing so really cool things, whereas the others stuck with straight up pop or r&b. He's definitely influenced by some other great English acts who came before him.

Day 29: Play Me Something English

Arlo Parks - Collapsed in Sunbeams

20210529_085250.jpg

I was actually surprised to discover we had no Mancunian Candidate on our shelves. Were Distance or Tokyo by Marconi Union pressed on vinyl I'd be spinning one of them right now. Instead, I've found a Manchester-sized gap in the collection that needs some filling going forward.

For the meanwhile I'll just take this as an excuse to give one of my favourites for the hear so far another spin.

It’s where I was born. Bonus points for Mancunian acts!

Andreya Triana - Giants

She's from London... Apologies for the lack of Mancunianess.

20200313_180047-jpg.36334

Day 27: Celebrate Women

The latest record from a woman to arrive...

St. Vincent ‎– Daddy's Home
Loma Vista ‎– LVR01774, 2021

"Online Exclusive" Clear w/ Black Smoke variant

Cut by Chris Bellman
Pressed at Pallas

sF47c6.jpg

zyice4.jpg

Day 28: Friday I’m In Love

Some friday music from the label Friday Music...

Sly & The Family Stone ‎– Anthology
Friday Music/Epic ‎– FRM-37071, 1981/2016

Cut by Ron McMaster
Pressed at RTI

XA7Mn8.jpg

Kyxcjg.jpg

He formed Magazine after leaving the Buzzcocks shortly before the release of their first EP Spiral Scratch. This is his one and only solo album...
Like Buzzcocks, he's from Manchester.

Howard Devoto ‎– Jerky Versions Of The Dream
Virgin ‎– V 2272, 1983

UK pressing

Pressed at EMI

3fWGDJ.jpg

Jp4Qj8.jpg

It’s where I was born. Bonus points for Mancunian acts!

The Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole
D7D87768-E5FA-4811-A420-DAE4CD0FDC5C.jpeg
Bonus Points Achieved! Manchester really does have plenty of heavy hitters don’t they? I was pleasantly surprised by the number of Mancunian artists residing in my record collection. I ended up on Chemical Brothers because I haven’t listened to it in ages. This LP is giving my subs a workout. Such a banger!

Back