May 2021 - Vinyl Spins Challenge Thread

DAY 24
BOB DYLAN
The Black Keys - Delta Kream
This album is a tribute to many of the classic blues artists whose work has influenced almost every folk/rock musician after them, I assume Bob included. Also I just bought it recently and have been looking for an excuse to spin it 😛
20210529_222230.jpg

Day 30: Unloved
Play an album that you bought prior to 2021 but that you haven’t yet got around to spinning this year.

I don't have anything new that hasn't been played so I'm gonna pick something that hasn't seen the table in a good while.

It's Gary Brooker's birthday and I haven't played any Procol Harum in an age so here we go...

Procol Harum - Shine On Brightly

20210529_230348.jpg

Day 28: Friday I'm in Love

Tom Waits - Heart of Saturday Night
(1974 - Asylum)
PXL_20210530_051935865.jpg
I live the wild eccentricites of Tom Waits, but in the end, I'm an even bigger sucker for his ballads. "San Diego Serenade" is a damn good one, 'Picture In a Frame' might be my tops, but don't have a vinyl copy of Mule Variations . Probably gotta fix that at some point.

Day 29: Play Me Something English

Live Stiffs Live (1978 - Stiff Records)

PXL_20210530_054245021.MP.jpg

Well sadly somehow nothing Mancunian on my shelves, so we'll go this route. Really freaking English at least. Messy wonderful live performances from Nick Lowe, Wreckless Eric, Ian Duty and Elvis Costello. I guess the soundtrack from a film version I have not seen. Also I really dig the version of Costello's 'Miracle Man' on this.

Not really a fan, but I also haven't listened to him at all. I'm sure I've heard his music, but not known that it's him.

This was in my last 3 months of VMP membership before I quit. I stayed on to get Spiritualized and was done. It has been very freeing.

With De Stijl being delayed, I got this with that the next month. I never really thought about playing it until this theme, as I rarely not listen to what comes in the mail there wasn't much else to choose from.

John Mayer ‎– Continuum
Aware Records/Columbia ‎– 19439713611, 2006/2020

VMP Essentials - July 2020

Cut by Ryan Smith at Sterling
Pressed at GZ

VmkIob.jpg

pzVSsa.jpg

oWnT3x.jpg

Play an album that you bought prior to 2021 but that you haven’t yet got around to spinning this year.

Kaytranada "99.9%" (2016 XL Recordings)
Was looking at my shelf and my gaze stop on the spine for this record. Haven't spun it in quite a while and it well overdue.

IMG_1506.JPG

Play an album that you bought prior to 2021 but that you haven’t yet got around to spinning this year

Kishi Bashi - Lighght

54276040-37BA-41FE-9B9F-508060D8F0DA.jpeg

Been several years since I’ve played this. My youngest kids have been enjoying this really nice show called Stillwater and Kishi Bashi does the music, which the kids have seemed to be drawn to. It made me remember that this record has been neglected for too long.

Day 28: Friday I'm in Love

Tom Waits - Heart of Saturday Night
(1974 - Asylum)
View attachment 101040

I live the wild eccentricites of Tom Waits, but in the end, I'm an even bigger sucker for his ballads. "San Diego Serenade" is a damn good one, 'Picture In a Frame' might be my tops, but don't have a vinyl copy of Mule Variations . Probably gotta fix that at some point.
Great choice, I almost chose this record.
New Coat of Paint and Please Call Me Baby deal with love in such melancholic and beautiful ways...he’s a master of that.

Paul Weller - Jawbone Soundtrack

I don’t have any unopened or unplayed records. I always play them right away or at least in the first couple of weeks. But this is a record that I listened to 2-3 times when I bought it and then just put away. I liked it at the time but not sure why I never went back to it. Weller’s first attempt at a soundtrack.

Just finished listening to it and it is quite nice. The first side is 1 long ambient track which I assume was used throughout the film. The 2nd side is more traditional songs, with a couple of nice simple acoustic numbers and a couple of rockers with more ambient pieces mixed in.
482BBAF7-546D-43B9-9D66-6AA953A4D357.jpeg

Day 30: Unloved - Play an album that you bought prior to 2021 but that you haven’t yet got around to spinning this year.

Nicole Atkins - Italian Ice

I'm actually pretty good about listening to things when they come in, but this album was one I considered buying all of last year and I didn't end up picking it up until early 2021. So I guess you could say it was a 2020 album that was unloved until 2021.

Barrie - Happy to Be Here

This is exactly the kind of low-key pleasant album that is easy to forget about for a while, but as soon as you put it on it's pure chill and you fall in love all over again.

20200322_164912-jpg.37388

Day 31: We’ve Come To The End Of The Line
The month is over and you’ve all no doubt bought the usual metric shit tonne of vinyl this month. Spin your favourite May grab for me today.

If there was ever an official soundtrack of dinosaurs walking the face of the earth, this is it..

The Black Angels - Live At Levitation

20210530_223303.jpg

Good times, @Joe Mac.

Day 31: We’ve Come To The End Of The Line

Mike Cooley, Patterson Hood & Jason Isbell - Live at the Shoals Theatre June 15, 2014

20210530_193700.jpg

I wasn't expecting this set to arrive until next month, so I'm extra excited to be closing down the challenge with its inaugural spin. I initially bought it digitally when it was released for one of the early Bandcamp Fridays last year and actually hoped it would be an RSD release for this year until they announced it for sale back in late autumn. And it's been well worth the wait!

These guys are all such amazing songwriters. It's been a treat to get an end-of-the-Isbell-era DBT set for last year's RSD followed up so soon by this acoustic reunion seven years after an acrimonious split. As a tremendous fan of in-the-round sessions at folk festivals, this show holds some extra special vibes for me.

Thanks for a great month @Joe Mac - this has been a blast!

[edit: typo]

Day 30 - Unloved

Banana Gun - Rules

PXL_20210531_054234037.jpg
I generally listen to everything pretty soon after I get it, although the posthumous Jason Molina album took me a few months to work up to a first spin. I found this in the shelves though, a friend's band that put out this EP last year, I had streamed it a bunch but forgot about the record which came right before moving.

Great slice of rootsy sax featuring rock out of Phoenix. 'Born to Lose' is a great slow burn of a song that builds and explodes really joyously.

Back