May 2021 - Vinyl Spins Challenge Thread

Day 7: Fri-Yay

ESG - Come Away With

I dare you not to shake your rump while listening to this.
From a Pitchfork review - The band developed a sound unlike any other and quite by accident became a major influence on hip-hop, dance music, and dance-punk, fitting right in with New York City's arty downtown scene and the UK's vibrant post-punk explosion.

The thing I love about ESG is that the music never feels dated but at the same time, when I listen to this record I feel like I am completely grounded in the Bronx in 1981.

DDD97A95-FF21-4199-9782-CC9024FDDD7C.jpeg

Various Artists "Brighter Days Ahead" (2021 Colemine Records)

I'm going with the funk and soul party this Friday and the idea that brighter days really are ahead. They have to arrive eventually, right? Hopefully soon. Things have been brighter here since about a week and a half anyway as all the emergency efforts of the last 5 weeks are finally paying off. Slight move forward with primary schools re-opening to in-person learning next Monday. If all goes well, maybe a return to "red zone" for the following week... Meanwhile, this collection of tracks released by Colemine & Karma Chief during 2020 is hitting the spot.

IMG_1465.JPG

Various Artists "Brighter Days Ahead" (2021 Colemine Records)

I'm going with the funk and soul party this Friday and the idea that brighter days really are ahead. They have to arrive eventually, right? Hopefully soon. Things have been brighter here since about a week and a half anyway as all the emergency efforts of the last 5 weeks are finally paying off. Slight move forward with primary schools re-opening to in-person learning next Monday. If all goes well, maybe a return to "red zone" for the following week... Meanwhile, this collection of tracks released by Colemine & Karma Chief during 2020 is hitting the spot.

View attachment 98509
image.jpg
I finally planted the flower seeds that came with the album and they're growing!

Day 7: Friyayyyy!

OutKast - Aquemini (1998, 2009 Reissue - LaFace)

PXL_20210507_222232479.MP.jpg
A unexpected light (work from home) work day has allowed hang time with the wife and kid as well a the chance to bump some tunes loudly mid-day, so I'm feeling good all around.

Also SpottieOttieDopalicious is one of the best freaking tunes EVER. That's all I got to say.

Day 8: VE Day
8th May 1945: Victory in Europe. Play an album that represents a triumph over adversity.

AC/DC was on top of the world with Highway To Hell. They'd made their breakthrough album and were firing on all cylinders. Then Bon did himself in. A replacement was chosen and they managed to make the best selling rock LP of all time.

I'll honor both incarnations - a pic of my ticket stub from one of the last Bon Scott shows in 1979 and a pic of the LP that's rollin'...

20200402_232259.jpg

AC/DC - Back In Black

20210508_004646.jpg

8th May 1945: Victory in Europe. Play an album that represents a triumph over adversity.

Pink Floyd - The Final Cut (1983, Columbia)
PXL_20210508_055855725.jpg

Well, an album that ends basically depicting a nuclear holocaust can't rightly be considered triumphant, but I'll lean into the VE day in terms of subject matter.

I've had a soft spot for this album since I was a teenager for some reason. I have little knowledge of post WWII England, or the Falklands War, but there's gorgeous melodies and really powerful songwriting throughout. The sound collages and studio flourishes both big (soaring strings!) and small (tiny spooky whispers poking out here and there on tracks) give it the same cinematic quality as The Wall - unsurprisingly since a bunch of the songs were essentially excess material from that album. But Waters drops the metaphors and rock star story line here and goes full in on the anti-war politics, which Gilmour hated I guess, but hey he gets a couple David Gilmour™ guitar solos, which may be my least favorite moments honestly.

Gorgeous, overwrought, depressing, preachy- I'll always love this album.
PXL_20210508_065018312.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 98578

Well, an album that ends basically depicting a nuclear holocaust can't rightly be considered triumphant, but I'll lean into the VE day in terms of subject matter.

I've had a soft spot for this album since I was a teenager for some reason. I have little knowledge of post WWII England, or the Falklands War, but there's gorgeous melodies and really powerful songwriting throughout. The sound collages and studio flourishes both big (soaring strings!) and small (tiny spooky whispers poking out here and there on tracks) give it the same cinematic quality as The Wall - unsurprisingly since a bunch of the songs were essentially excess material from that album. But Waters drops the metaphors and rock star story line here and goes full in on the anti-war politics, which Gilmour hated I guess, but hey he gets a couple David Gilmour™ guitar solos, which may be my least favorite moments honestly.

View attachment 98580
I love The Final Cut too. The title track especially is so powerful. Great choice!

View attachment 98578

View attachment 98580

Love that album ..Not Now John should get a lot more love .. it’s a bit like a history lesson of late 70’s and early 80’s Britain

Rock Bottom - Robert Wyatt

Was listening to this album earlier this week and it sprang to mind when looking at today’s theme. If you don’t know the story of Rock Bottom do a quick Google search. Wyatt overcame a life changing accident to make this album, which ,despite the title, is the sound of someone untethered. Joyous, experimental and the first step to creating the Robert Wyatt we know
37965B24-F2F5-48CA-A4F8-4D94071D2702.jpeg

Jesse Hughes has had his own share of controversies and doesn't seem like the most stable person, but he and the band seem to have come out of the Bataclan attack fairly well.

Eagles Of Death Metal Presents
Boots Electric ‎– Performing The Best Songs We Never Wrote

UMe ‎– B0029723-01, 2019

Cut by Kevin Bartley
Pressed at Rainbo

qqLtoe.jpg

dwGV1E.jpg

I caught this doc when it was on HBO, it's a good watch.

Back