May 2021 - Vinyl Spins Challenge Thread

Day 8: VE Day - 8th May 1945: Victory in Europe. Play an album that represents a triumph over adversity.

Crowded House - Crowded House

58A107B4-6842-44D8-B0FF-2F6F4FB7DB5A.jpeg

There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
But you'll never see the end of the road
While you're traveling with me

Day 8: VE Day

8th May 1945: Victory in Europe. Play an album that represents a triumph over adversity

20210508_181617.jpg

Day 8 - VE Day

Kirk went blind as a kid, but that didn’t stop him from becoming a virtuouso multi-instrumentalist who often played 2 or 3 horns at a time (see cover), and not just as a novelty. Later he had a stroke that left him half paralyzed, but that didn’t stop him either (unfortunately until a second stroke did).

512BF5A5-386A-4594-B04E-FA5604AF8D33.jpeg

Day 8: VE Day - 8th May 1945: Victory in Europe. Play an album that represents a triumph over adversity.

Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

Lauryn was dealing with a lot heading into making this album. She decided to leave The Fugees because of the in fighting between her and Wyclef, she was pregnant and unmarried at a young age, and had been sleeping with two men who both were married. Everyone around her was telling her to use her head and think about her career, that she couldn't have a baby and succeed. As she details in To Zion, instead she chose to use her heart, had her son Zion, and created one of the greatest albums of all time.

To zion is such a breathtaking song! Gets me every time I hear it

8th May 1945: Victory in Europe. Play an album that represents a triumph over adversity.

Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas

I don't usually try to find out much about the lives of the musicians (or authors or directors, etc.) that I like, but a quick Wikipedia search tells me that while the band recorded this album they were dealing with disagreements with management, drug dependency, the loss of loved ones and even a birth. On the bright side, the album turned out great!

20210508_165542.jpg

I'm not a great authority on pressing quality, but my copy is flat and sounds decent to my ears.

Cheers. I guess that would be like most New West Records pressings, which are reliably decent (I think they get pressed at a local Georgia plant). Anyway, it's pretty inexpensive at Amazon.ca so I'll probably just throw it in one of my next orders... good record.

Cheers. I guess that would be like most New West Records pressings, which are reliably decent (I think they get pressed at a local Georgia plant). Anyway, it's pretty inexpensive at Amazon.ca so I'll probably just throw it in one of my next orders... good record.
I really love the album. ❤️

DAY 8
TRIUMPH OVER ADVERSITY
Hayley Williams - Petals for Armor
Today is the one-year anniversary of this album's release, although the first two parts were released separately beforehand. Despite the three-part release cycle, I find the album does work best as a whole, but at the same time the separation of the three chunks of the album does serve a narrative point.

PFA is largely an album about emerging from a toxic relationship and the challenges that come with regaining control of your life and mental stability in the aftermath of it all. The album starts with its angriest, most bitter and forlorn songs, and throughout the course of the album, though the pain caused by this person may not be entirely gone, those driving emotions are replaced instead by a newfound love for herself and others in her life, and the desire to "bloom" and take full control of her life. It is one woman's document to self-recovery through the power of finding the strength to move forward and become better than you ever were before.

Petals for Armor is also the album I needed during quarantine. Though a lot of albums helped me survive the soul-crushing loneliness of lockdown, PFA is perhaps the only one that genuinely helped me keep my head on straight. I saw many parallels with Hayley's journey on the album and my own, having come out of a toxic relationship that ended rather poorly myself in 2018, which I find the lasting effects of still bother me to this day. In particularly weak moments of isolation during 2020, I would have no choice but to reminisce on the past and dwell on it, something that rarely leads to good ideas. Sometimes I would try to convince myself into reaching back out to that person, but I know from experience that all that does is cause all the pain and misery I experienced in 2018 to bubble back up to the surface. So I told myself not to give into those persistent thoughts and tried to tell myself I was stronger than that. And in those moments, I would revisit Petals for Armor and it would help me realize that I can move on and triumph as well, that I don't have to live under the thumb of depression and be haunted forever by ghosts of the past. A year later, this album still has great emotional resonance for me and I love it. It's a reminder to me that even when you've gone through the darkest period of your life, you can still come out on the other side and not only survive, but thrive - or in this case, bloom.

"I'm alive in spite of me
And I'm on the move
So come and look inside of me
Watch me while I bloom
"
20210508_233926.jpg
20210508_234432.jpg
20210509_000238.jpg
20210509_002520.jpg

Last edited:

8th May 1945: Victory in Europe. Play an album that represents a triumph over adversity

View attachment 98644

Love this! Hadn't heard of these folks. Helluva background to come out of. Well played for the days theme indeed.

Back