May 2021 - Vinyl Spins Challenge Thread

Day 8: VE Day - 8th May 1945: Victory in Europe. Play an album that represents a triumph over adversity.

Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

Lauryn was dealing with a lot heading into making this album. She decided to leave The Fugees because of the in fighting between her and Wyclef, she was pregnant and unmarried at a young age, and had been sleeping with two men who both were married. Everyone around her was telling her to use her head and think about her career, that she couldn't have a baby and succeed. As she details in To Zion, instead she chose to use her heart, had her son Zion, and created one of the greatest albums of all time.

Day 08: VE Day
8th May 1945: Victory in Europe. Play an album that represents a triumph over adversity.
Queen - News Of The World
C7FE89D6-F9D7-4459-8960-A01A245D3164.jpeg

@Turbo I was waiting until I finished my coffee praying no one beat me to it. To me the choice was pretty obvious as “We Are The Champions” was the first thing that popped into my mind.

Day 08: VE Day
8th May 1945: Victory in Europe. Play an album that represents a triumph over adversity.
Queen - News Of The World
View attachment 98605

@Turbo I was waiting until I finished my coffee praying no one beat me to it. To me the choice was pretty obvious as “We Are The Champions” was the first thing that popped into my mind.

There it is! The only thing keeping me from playing it today was that I don't have it....

(EDIT: but I almost played The Game for Another One Bites The Dust)

That said, a Queen album named Jazz may be an even better choice for @Joe Mac 's birthday. Throwing that out there since I don't have that one either...

I don’t despise Queen! I’m not a big fan of their more prog moments and Bohemian Rhapsody sucks but they were a decent singles band in their pomp! Jazz on the other hand... 😂

That said, a Queen album named Jazz may be an even better choice for @Joe Mac 's birthday. Throwing that out there since I don't have that one either...
I was most worried about @waruv because it looks like they just added Queens entire discography to their collection this week (per the Fresh Grabs Thread) but I don’t believe they’re participating this month so I dodged a bullet.

I don’t despise Queen! I’m not a big fan of their more prog moments and Bohemian Rhapsody sucks but they were a decent singles band in their pomp! Jazz on the other hand... 😂

Cool, cool... I just remember your comments when the A Night At The Opera ROTM was selected. Your "love" of Jazz is legendary though. And you just know that if I there was such a thing as Country-Jazz, that's what I'd play for you.

Cool, cool... I just remember your comments when the A Night At The Opera ROTM was selected. You "love" of Jazz is legendary though. And you just know that if I there was such a thing as Country-Jazz, that's what I'd play for you.

Yeah I think I was more disappointed because I ran that thread, the clues were fucking trash, there were other things that’s I’d prefer than that and it has the song I really hate on it. I have the two best ofs on CD somewhere, will probably pick them up on vinyl at some point down the line, maybe a nice colour press will prompt me 😂

Back