May 2021 - Vinyl Spins Challenge Thread

Day 3: Celebrate Spring

Being nocturnal in Oregon, seasons are really more of a "how wet is it" type thing.

Eurythmics ‎– Touch
RCA Victor ‎– AFL1-4917, 1984

Cut by Jack Adelman
Pressed at RCA, Indianapolis

cKuAL1.jpg

T7jxz7.jpg

Day 6 Sad

In 2015 I've been to a solo gig by Carl Barat (from The Libertines) in Cologne. I've got to know a nice young guy from Belgium while standing in the queue. We've talked a bit and shared some beer together during the gig, but later went our seperate ways. His name was Hendrik. As I'm rather a shy/reserved person I didn't ask for his contact info.

Fast forward in 2017 I saw a post on some social media site connected to The Libertines saying that this guy had died in a sudden horrible accident. I've remembered his face and his name. In the beautiful Belgian city of Brügge that is known for its many canals, he and a friend did spend a winter evening on a roped standing boat there. It seems they both got very drunk and Hendrik had fallen into the ice cold river while his mate was already fallen asleep. They found Hendrik's dead body the other day.

The Libertines, who had known about him (he had met both Peter Doherty and Carl Barat before) did honor him and did even collect money for his family.

So I'm playing this album in his memory. I only got to know him for a very short time, during that gig. I had to think of him the other day. Rest in peace Hendrik.

The Libertines "Anthems for the doomed youth"
This album also has some really beautiful sad songs like "You're my Waterloo" or "Dead for love"

IMG_20210506_094248.jpg

Day 4: May the Fourth Be With You

It was either this or the Original Score...

Original Cast With Narration By Roscoe Lee Browne ‎– The Story Of Star Wars
20th Century Fox Records ‎– T-550, 1977

Cut by Brian Gardner at Allen Zentz Mastering
Pressed at Columbia, Santa Maria

OersXK.jpg

ctV3W4.jpg

Day 6: Sing A Sad Song

This entire album is a sad song - an absolutely soul-crushing song cycle about broken relationships, broken lives, broken vows and broken bodies. A downer masterpiece...

In the immortal words of Mr. Cub Ernie Banks, "Let's play two!"

Lou Reed - Berlin

View attachment 98304

Lou Reed - Berlin: Live At St. Ann's Warehouse

View attachment 98303

Scooped!

Leonard Cohen "You Want It Darker" (2016 Columbia)

Leonard Cohen knew his final days were coming when he recorded this album. And he passed two weeks after its release. The record plays like a eulogy for himself, as a man that lived life to the fullest and was ready to move on.

IMG_1464.JPG

Last edited:
Day 6: Sing a Sad Song

Jason Molina - Pyramid Electric Co (2004, Secretly Canadian)

View attachment 98324
He's one of my favorites, so I've got a bunch of his stuff to pick from for this day. Definitely not his most popular release but one that's also been a personal favorite.

Though there's lots of feelings to be felt in both his Songs:Ohia and Magnolia Electric Co. recordings, the stuff he put out under his own name was always the starkest and most vulnerable.

One of the only artists the REALLY wrecked me when they died. A guy I talked to twice just as a fan, but still was emotionally crippled when I heard he passed. He left behind a staggering body of work filled with sorrow but also so much hope peaking out through the cracks. I hope people keep discovering his songs as the years go on.

DAY 6
😭
Songs: Ohia - The Lioness
Much like @ducktree, I own quite a few Molina records I could have done for this theme but for some reason I kept landing on this one to do for this theme in my head, it just seem like a good fit.

This album will always be special to me because it was the first Songs: Ohia album I ever listened to in full, and by extension, my introduction to the world of Jason Molina. "Coxcomb Red" popped up in my YouTube recommendations one day in the late 2000s/early 2010s, and I was hooked immediately. What turned into an obsession with that song soon turned into an obsession with the whole album, which would grow from there into an obsession with his entire body of work. It's hard to describe how he does it, but while the word "haunting" is applied to many vocalists, Molina's voice is the closest thing I can imagine to what a grieving, ghostly spirit would actually sound like singing - sadly, literally now.
View attachment 98335
Yeah, I was gonna spin Magnolia Electric Co. (great minds!) I think you both covered the beautiful sadness of Jason Molina pretty well. I will go another route.

Day 06: Sing A Sad Song

Sad songs are always the most beautiful. Pick an album that contains a song that makes you feel all the feelings.

Fiona Apple - Tidal
8C48E769-434B-4A96-AC64-8A9656A59ED0.jpeg
The challenge board is spitting fire today thankfully there are PLENTY of sad songs to go around and Fiona has sung her fair share. The one that always punches me in the gut though is “Never Is A Promise” the way here voice just slightly begins to quiver when she delivers the final the heartbreaking plea “I don't know what to believe in, you don't know who I am” turns me into a sobbing puddle of emotions every goddamn time it hits.

Day 6: Sing A Sad Song - Sad songs are always the most beautiful. Pick an album that contains a song that makes you feel all the feelings.

Going to get a bit personal with this one. My dad passed away just over a month ago, rather suddenly after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. I was fortunate enough to had gotten my first covid shot, and was able to fly out and spend some time with him before he passed. He was an aerospace engineer by trade, but a lover of all things transportation, including trains. He had a great train model train layout in his basement.

One of the things I did was put together a playlist for him to listen to while we sat with him. City of New Orleans was the first song he put on it - it has Van Morrison, Sarah Vaughn, Gordon Lightfoot, Wilson Pickett, Joni Mitchell, and a bunch more too.

After he passed, we were helping my mom clean stuff out, and were cleaning out his car. Among the other tapes in his car, City of New Orleans was in the tape deck. Couldn't bring myself to take it out, so it's there still - but I did order a copy of it to have for myself. I can picture him driving around with this album playing in the background. Picture includes one of the trains from his train set that I brought home with me.

So, as the days prompt says, I'm going to listen to this, and feel all the feelings...

"The conductor sings his songs again
The passengers will please refrain
This train got the disappearing railroad blues

Good night, America, how are you?
Say, don't you know me? I'm your native son
I'm the train they call the City of New Orleans
I'll be gone five hundred miles when the day is done"

Willie Nelson ~ City of New Orleans

1620327384690.png

Day 6: Sing A Sad Song - Sad songs are always the most beautiful. Pick an album that contains a song that makes you feel all the feelings.

Going to get a bit personal with this one. My dad passed away just over a month ago, rather suddenly after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. I was fortunate enough to had gotten my first covid shot, and was able to fly out and spend some time with him before he passed. He was an aerospace engineer by trade, but a lover of all things transportation, including trains. He had a great train model train layout in his basement.

One of the things I did was put together a playlist for him to listen to while we sat with him. City of New Orleans was the first song he put on it - it has Van Morrison, Sarah Vaughn, Gordon Lightfoot, Wilson Pickett, Joni Mitchell, and a bunch more too.

After he passed, we were helping my mom clean stuff out, and were cleaning out his car. Among the other tapes in his car, City of New Orleans was in the tape deck. Couldn't bring myself to take it out, so it's there still - but I did order a copy of it to have for myself. I can picture him driving around with this album playing in the background. Picture includes one of the trains from his train set that I brought home with me.

So, as the days prompt says, I'm going to listen to this, and feel all the feelings...

"The conductor sings his songs again
The passengers will please refrain
This train got the disappearing railroad blues

Good night, America, how are you?
Say, don't you know me? I'm your native son
I'm the train they call the City of New Orleans
I'll be gone five hundred miles when the day is done"

Willie Nelson ~ City of New Orleans

View attachment 98391
Very sorry for your loss. Time heals many wounds, I have found. ❤️

Day 06: Sing A Sad Song
Bombay Bicycle Club - I Had The Blues But I Shook Them Loose

I have mixed emotions about this album. Sometimes it makes me happy. Mostly though, it makes me sad. The song Cancel On Me in particular always makes me think about past relationships.image.jpg

Jason Isbell - Southeastern

20210506_133123.jpg

There are a goodly number of feels on this entire album - a blend of sadness, reckoning and hope. I spent a few months drinking myself sad and playing this repeatedly in headphones while wandering the city under the cover of night, most of the songs hitting hard but none hitting harder than Elephant - which was my reintroduction to post-DBT Isbell. I still catch myself in a mood on long drives sometimes to just play it on repeat for miles and miles.

Back