May 2021 - Vinyl Spins Challenge Thread

Day 5: Columbus

Gonna stretch today a bit, since I don't have any records from Spain that I can think of, nor Reggae. What I do have are a few Ska records, including this release from one of the record store days last year. While most of the artists are from England, Lynval Golding of the Specials was born in Jamaica. Whew....

Various Artists ~ Dance Craze

1620235909356.png

Day 05: Fuck Christopher Columbus

On May 5th 1494 a self-important asshole landed in the island of Jamaica and “claimed” it for Spain. Play something either Jamaican or Spanish.

Scientist - Scientist Rids The World Of The Evil Curse Of The Vampires
C5C413A2-8FBD-4F51-ABF4-DCF31460BA58.jpeg
So after spinning some Scientist for yesterday’s challenge I made the mistake of heading over to my Local Record Store to see if they had any other of his LP’s in stock. Lucky for me they had arguably his best album available and better still it’s the recent Russian repress (as Green Sleeve Records is currently attempting to fuck Scientist by repressing his back catalog under a different persons name). The reviews for the Russian reissue have been stellar and I agree. While the packaging is fairly bare bones the jacket is nice and glossy really making the fantastic artwork pop. The record is also immaculately pressed and sounds booming. Glad to have picked this one up.

On May 5th 1494 a self-important asshole landed in the island of Jamaica and “claimed” it for Spain. Play something either Jamaican or Spanish.

View attachment 98233
So after spinning some Scientist for yesterday’s challenge I made the mistake of heading over to my Local Record Store to see if they had any other of his LP’s in stock. Lucky for me they had arguably his best album available and better still it’s the recent Russian repress (as Green Sleeve Records is currently attempting to fuck Scientist by repressing his back catalog under a different persons name). The reviews for the Russian reissue have been stellar and I agree. While the packaging is fairly bare bones the jacket is nice and glossy really making the fantastic artwork pop. The record is also immaculately pressed and sounds booming. Glad to have picked this one up.

Great selection, great explanation of the bullshit and great rewrite of the prompt. 10/10.

View attachment 98233

Haha, I had the same title typed out and wimped out and chose to avoid the abrasiveness (immediately after my vulgar song title post 🤣) Hats off to you sir.

p.s. thanks for the link last night, my copy is on the way!

Day 5 - Columbus

Since @TenderLovingKiller® played one yesterday (and today), here’s another entry from the somewhat strange science fiction-themed dub album trend of the 70s. This one is Star Trek themed, although it also for some reason has a song about Dracula (and I think he’s on the cover?).

51BF7206-EE43-45AD-91B9-3DDCDDC57242.jpeg

If you want to dive deeper into this strange world, Scientist has a bunch of good ones (the ones TLK played plus Space Invaders are good), and Phil Pratt’s Star Wars Dub is good.

Day 5: Christopher Columbus
Slowdive - Just For A Day

Unfortunately, I don’t own anything Spanish or Jamaican. My collection is still pretty small compared to some of the beastly collections on this forum. However, the first track on this album is titled “Spanish Air”, and it happens to be one of my favorite Slowdive songs. So, I think this is pretty relevant!image.jpg

Last edited:
Day 6: Sing A Sad Song

This entire album is a sad song - an absolutely soul-crushing song cycle about broken relationships, broken lives, broken vows and broken bodies. A downer masterpiece...

In the immortal words of Mr. Cub Ernie Banks, "Let's play two!"

Lou Reed - Berlin

20210505_224505.jpg

Lou Reed - Berlin: Live At St. Ann's Warehouse

20210505_224346.jpg

Last edited:
Day 5 - Columbus (you colonizing asshat)

Various - Golden Rockers
PXL_20210506_032443612.jpg

PXL_20210506_033455052.jpg
I'm a big fan of the music of Jamaica, but I own very little of it on vinyl. Been trying to move towards correcting that, but as discussed above, it's a bit of a mine field of dubious represses with many times rough source material to begin with.

I picked this up very recently, don't know much about these Clocktower Reissues but I'm not upset to have this collection on my shelves.

(Sidebar: If you like reggae and somehow haven't watched Lovers Rock by Steve Mcqueen on Prime, clear your schedule and watch it now!)

Day 6: Sing a Sad Song

Jason Molina - Pyramid Electric Co (2004, Secretly Canadian)

PXL_20210506_051931056.jpg
He's one of my favorites, so I've got a bunch of his stuff to pick from for this day. Definitely not his most popular release but one that's also been a personal favorite.

Though there's lots of feelings to be felt in both his Songs:Ohia and Magnolia Electric Co. recordings, the stuff he put out under his own name was always the starkest and most vulnerable.

One of the only artists the REALLY wrecked me when they died. A guy I talked to twice just as a fan, but still was emotionally crippled when I heard he passed. He left behind a staggering body of work filled with sorrow but also so much hope peaking out through the cracks. I hope people keep discovering his songs as the years go on.

Day 6: Sing a Sad Song

Jason Molina - Pyramid Electric Co (2004, Secretly Canadian)

View attachment 98324
He's one of my favorites, so I've got a bunch of his stuff to pick from for this day. Definitely not his most popular release but one that's also been a personal favorite.

Though there's lots of feelings to be felt in both his Songs:Ohia and Magnolia Electric Co. recordings, the stuff he put out under his own name was always the starkest and most vulnerable.

One of the only artists the REALLY wrecked me when they died. A guy I talked to twice just as a fan, but still was emotionally crippled when I heard he passed. He left behind a staggering body of work filled with sorrow but also so much hope peaking out through the cracks. I hope people keep discovering his songs as the years go on.

I was going to spin The Lioness, glad to see my head wasn't the only one to go directly to Molina for this theme 💙 that said, now I'd feel unoriginal so I'm gonna try to find something a little different 😅

I was going to spin The Lioness, glad to see my head wasn't the only one to go directly to Molina for this theme 💙 that said, now I'd feel unoriginal so I'm gonna try to find something a little different 😅
Ah! I sad scooped! My apologies. But in absolute honesty it was between this and The Lioness for me. Play it anyway!

DAY 6
😭
Songs: Ohia - The Lioness
Much like @ducktree, I own quite a few Molina records I could have done for this theme but for some reason I kept landing on this one to do for this theme in my head, it just seem like a good fit.

This album will always be special to me because it was the first Songs: Ohia album I ever listened to in full, and by extension, my introduction to the world of Jason Molina. "Coxcomb Red" popped up in my YouTube recommendations one day in the late 2000s/early 2010s, and I was hooked immediately. What turned into an obsession with that song soon turned into an obsession with the whole album, which would grow from there into an obsession with his entire body of work. It's hard to describe how he does it, but while the word "haunting" is applied to many vocalists, Molina's voice is the closest thing I can imagine to what a grieving, ghostly spirit would actually sound like singing - sadly, literally now.
20210506_024209.jpg

Last edited:
Day 2: Difficult Second Album

As I usually have to play catch-up for the front side of the week it looks like I was scooped for only one day...I had planned to play Siamese Dream, but there's plenty of great 2nd albums out there.

While his first album had a couple good songs, this is where his popularity came from. The timing of MTV's popularity and Michael Jackson's Thriller was also a bonus.

"Weird Al" Yankovic ‎– In 3-D
Rock 'N' Roll Records ‎– FZ 39221, 1984

Pressed at Columbia, Pitman

KFvn3V.jpg

ZFzuTe.jpg

Back