May 2021 - Vinyl Spins Challenge Thread

Day 04: May the Fouth Be With You

Happy Star Wars Day!

Scientist - Scientist And Jammy Strike Back!
View attachment 98079
Dub wunderkind, Scientist was no fool (obviously, right? With a name like “Scientist” it would be pretty ironic if he were), he jumped on the Star Wars bandwagon in 1982 to promote this brilliant LP. Though it’s the album & tracks titles allude to the movie and the artwork is some bastardization of Star Wars and Flash Gordon in the best way possible. The album itself is just some amazing thick-bass booming Dub at its dankest with absolutely zero references to Space, Sci-fi, or Star Wars.

Holy hell I love this! so much so I just queued it back to back with itself on the ol' streaming machine.

Day 5: Christopher Columbus

Rosalía - El mal querer

This is the only album I have from Spain (I think I need to do something about that...), so even though I used it last month, I'm happy to put it on again, because it's excelente.

20200517_105823-jpg.47448

LOL! Yeah, I hadn’t spun any dub in a while after spinning this today I may have swung out to my local and grabbed another Scientist LP to spin tomorrow.
Which one did you get?

Whoa I didn't realize all the drama going on with Greensleeves on the reissues. I need scientist rids the world of the evil curse of the vampires, but yikes, Junjo?

Edit: Apparently he worked directly with Мирумир, so maybe those are better to get? Never bought a Russian reissue I don't think, but seems like a standard GZ affair.

Last edited:
Day 5: Christopher Columbus

Byron Lee & The Dragonaires - Reggay Blast Off!

20210504_182043.jpg

This is definitely one of my favourite bargain bin scores. 1969 original Jamaican pressing for $5. Sleeve is lovingly worn, but the wax itself is damn near mint. Haven't listened to it since the day I scored it last spring, so this has been a great excuse to come back to it.

Which one did you get?

Whoa I didn't realize all the drama going on with Greensleeves on the reissues. I need scientist rids the world of the evil curse of the vampires, but yikes, Junjo?

Edit: Apparently he worked directly with Мирумир, so maybe those are better to get? Never bought a Russian reissue I don't think, but seems like a standard GZ affair.
Yeah, My local had the Russian reissue of Vampires (maybe my first Russian release?) for $25. I was really confused by everything but the reviews for this pressing were really good.

FYI: they have one more copy fro $25 and free shipping.

Day 5: Christopher Columbus - On May 5th 1494 Christopher Columbus landed in the island of Jamaica and claimed it for Spain. Play something either Jamaican or Spanish.

J.P. Bimeni & The Black Belts - Free Me

According to Discogs this record is literally from Spain.

Back