May 2020 Record Challenge Thread (PRIZE RAFFLE AT THE END!)

Day 31 - same artist as day 1

Steely Dan - Greatest Hits

Shout-out to @Fleetwood-Matt for a great month. When I got back into vinyl a decade or so ago, I made a strange decision - the artists I had everything of on CD I'd buy greatest hits of, and the artists I only had greatest hits of I'd buy a lot of. You can imagine how that went - within a few months I'd decided I couldn't live with Beatles red/blue and Dylan 1/2 and got a lot. Stupid decision really. Anyway, for some reason I hung on longer with Steely Dan. This is a fabulous greatest hits, but their albums are even better and I'm glad I've seen the light. So this might be the last spin this one gets...

20200530_114319.jpg

Better late than never!

Day 1: first record you bought - HERBIE HANCOCK - FUTURE SHOCK
Day 2: We are about halfway to Halloween Play a “Spooky” Album - TOOL - OPIATE
Day 3: Jazz Sunday LEE MORGAN - CONRBREAD
Day 4: An album from your senior year of high school - TRIBE CALLED QUEST - MIDNIGHT MARAUDERS
Day 5: Cinco de Mayo. Play an album by a Spanish speaking artist MONGO SANTAMARIA - STONE SOUL
Day 6: Play a budget bin album JACKSON 5 - LIVE
Day 7: Latest purchase TROMBONE SHORTY - PARKING LOT SYMPHONY
Day 8: An Album that makes you think of flowers - JIMI HENDRIX - ARE YOU EXPERIENCED
Day 9: Something to dance to - LCD SOUNDSYSTEM - THE LONG GOODBYE
Day 10: An album that makes you YEARN - BARRY WHITE - JUST ANOTHER WAY TO SAY I LOVE YOU
Day 11: Album you’ve gotten from a record club BECK - HYPERSPACE
Day 12: FOMO buy you haven’t spun in awhile BIG GRAMS - BIG GRAMS
Day 13: An album that feels conversational NWA - STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON
Day 14: Rated M for mature DEAD PREZ - TURN OFF THE RADIO MIXTAPE
Day 15: An album that makes you laugh AKINYELE - AKTAPUSS
Day 16: Play a long album (aim for over 60 minutes) CLASH - HITS BACK
Day 17: Happy 1 year birthday to CRJ’S Dedicated! Play a Poptart certified album TAYLOR SWIFT - SAME
Day 18: LGBT+ artist SARAH MCLACHLAN 0 FUMBLING TOWARDS ECSTASY
Day 19: Play an album that has been nominated or won AOTY at the Grammy’s LENNON AND ONO - DOUBLE FANTASY
Day 20: 2020 hype! (2020 album or an artist who is set to release an album this year) JANET JACKSON - BLACK DIAMOND
Day 21: An album to get drunk to ALKAHOLIKS - LIKWIDATION
Day 22: First album in collection (alphabetically) 10CC - DECEPTIVE BENDS (IM ASSUMING NUMBERS COME PRIOR)
Day 23: An underrated gem 9TH WONDER - THE WONDER YEARS
Day 24: Soundtrack Sunday JACKIE BROWN OST
Day 25: An artist you haven’t seen live but would love to be able to BOB MARLEY
Day 26: Discogs randomizer YELLOW SUNSHINE - YELLOW SUNSHINE
Day 27: Least favorite album cover ISAAC HAYES - JUICY FRUIT
Day 28: An album that’s full of hope U2 - JOSHUA TREE
Day 29: An album that makes you feel nostalgic MICHAEL JACKSON - THRILLER
Day 30: Pet Sounds! Play an album that makes you think of animals! TEMPLE OF THE DOG - SAME
Day 31: Play an album by the same artist you played on Day 1 HERBIE HANCOCK - HEAD HUNTERS

Day 31: Play an album by the same artist you played on Day 1 (and Day 30)

For a picture disc, this sounds really good. This is a later CB cut that was discovered to be released around 2011, it just replaced the 2006 release so no one knows exactly when it became available. I'd still love to see a regular black pressing some day.

Tool ‎– Lateralus
Volcano /Tool Dissectional ‎– 61422-31160-1 LP, 2001/2006/?

Cut by Chris Bellman

CSDI4l.jpg

B4B0CB.jpg

Day 31: Play an album by the same artist you played on Day 1

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band / The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle

My favorite record by The Boss. When people say vinyl sounds “warmer” than digital this is the album that comes to mind. It wraps me up like a nice blanket and all them jazzy drum hits seem to bop and bap right off the little black disc.I could have easily used this for the “record that makes you nostalgic” day, except this one makes me nostalgic for something I didn’t even live.

...and me I just got tired of hangin in them dusty arcades, bangin them pleasure machines...D0AE8F7D-ED0E-488F-8FA9-786ACDAF0265.jpeg

Johnny Cash ‎– At Folsom Prison (Columbia, 2018 RSD Limited Numbered 5-LP Box Set)

Well I suppose I kind of cheated on day 1 by posting the first 3 records I got (which I believe was in one purchase) so I had 3 to pick from today as well. I posted a Pink Floyd album yesterday so today I decided to listen to my Johnny Cash ‎– At Folsom Prison box set. I got this on my first RSD experience (queuing up etc) and everytime I listen to it I realise just how fantastic it is. From the banter between Cash and the crown in between tracks, to some of the fantastic songs that were not included in the standard release, it really is a killer box set and well worth getting.

I will also take this time to thank @Fleetwood-Matt for a fantastic list over the past month. Its been a really tough few months for me and the beginning of this month was when I started trying to get back into a routine, so checking this list each day and getting creative with choices has really helped, so thanks buddy!

IMG_7557.JPG
IMG_7556.JPG

20200531_065848.jpg

The Ink Spots - The Ink Spots in HI-FI

Thanks for getting me digging into my collection a bit. It has been fun engaging in a month of vinyl with all of you. This thread has also opened my eyes to some awesome artists. Big thanks to Matt and to everyone.

Day 31 - Play an album by the same artist you played on Day 1

Schematic - Color (n.) Inside The Lines

Not exactly the same artist, but this is a solo album from Mae's Dave Elkins. I was gifted this signed album from my sister when she saw him play a set at Grimey's in Nashville when it was released. Interesting enough, she got both today's and day 1's albums signed for me.

This challenge was a ton of fun, thanks @Fleetwood-Matt! And thanks for kicking off a chain reaction convincing others to sign up to run challenges for the next year haha

Day 31 - Play an album by the same artist you played on Day One

On Day One I played The Honeydrippers, and they never did a second album. Jimmy Page joined Robert Plant on that record for a song. But did you know this isn't the only time those two worked together? Yep, Robert sung on a Jimmy solo record. Those two should have formed a band, ya know?

Jimmy Page - Outrider

20200531_093430.jpg

Day 31

Crazy how nostalgic I am for the beginning of the month when the worst thing going on was a plague This has been an absolute blast thanks for putting it together, and thanks for all who listened to my ramblings.

Anyway started with Metallica and ending with these guy storming the stage with a full orchestra at their disposal. So many epic moments in this.
If you check out the part 2 I was lucky enough to catch it at the movie theater before they all closed down . It’s a little different. The orchestra is arranged in a circle with the band playing in the middle , and it seemed like they were all having a lot more fun. High fiving violin players and playing a few classical tunes.
3147A001-5024-4B1A-A21E-92378D27DDBB.jpeg

Back