May 2020 Record Challenge Thread (PRIZE RAFFLE AT THE END!)

What is this? I like it.
I was a dog guy until 14 years ago when my wife convinced me to adopt a cat.
Now Gandalf and I are best buds.
View attachment 49670
Nice! He looks like a friendly feline. Love the blue-grey color obviously the name is fitting. That being said If we’re doing cat photos now...
3EBB6371-6487-4C56-8CCD-1BCEE3EA281C.jpegTalulah is my co-worker she “works” on an oversized bean bag in my office while I am at my desk.

Day 29 - An album that makes you feel nostalgic

Big Audio Dynamite - This is...

When I was in my 20's we used to head out for a yearly golf trip and play each day, sleep in the car or camp, and maybe have one drink too many. One of my buddies and his brother tagged along most years, and they were both music lovers. The brother put this on one year, and it just hit the spot. I knew the band from the newer Big Audio Dynamite II, The Globe album.

There was always great music, one brother leaned classic rock and the other college rock. Reminded of those trips every time I hear this.

2B941367-4391-45EF-915C-85400C3C5C06.jpeg

Day 29: an album that makes you nostalgic

UNKLE - Psyence Fiction

Day one was DJ Shadow's Endtroducing, which was a big deal when I discovered it back around the year 2000. My newfound love for DJ Shadow and Radiohead quickly led me to pick up this album (on CD, of course), and man, it was a microcosm of my growing musical taste- not just Shadow and Thom Yorke, but it also had collabs with members of the Beastie Boys, the Verve, and Badly Drawn Boy, among others. Listening to it now, I'm nostalgic for what the future used to sound like.

20200530_121429.jpg

As a bonus- in the pre-Youtube era, I had no clue the "Ballbuster" interlude was a sample of a real commercial for a board game:

Day 30: Play an album that makes you think of animals

I first thought about the hidden cow on the CD release...then I remembered Moe the pig. This reissue didn't come with printed inner sleeves, but the cow image is on earlier releases with sleeves. I have the images from the CD below.

Tool ‎– Undertow
Zoo Entertainment/BMG Music ‎– 72445-11052-1-RE, 1993/1997

z87xKs.jpg

KVtbkD.jpg

LOzQDi.jpg

Last edited:
Day 30 - Pet Sounds

When my dog was a pup, she was going crazy running around the room as puppies tend to do. I happened to have The Last Waltz on (the movie version), and when Neil Young came on and started signing Helpless she just stopped dead in her tracks and listened. I’ve always said it was her song.

She’s old and cancer stricken now, so here’s a little Neil in her honor (although, it turns out she never again responded to the song in any way throughout her life and couldn’t care less now 😀)

1D9115FF-E55E-4287-B8CA-198C7773E450.jpeg

Day 29: An album that makes you feel nostalgic
The Cranberries - No Need To Argue (1994)

image.jpeg

I thought about playing an album by Johnny Cash later and using that one for the nostalgia day.
But I played this one and suddenly a waterfall of memories reappeared. It was the past slapping me in the face with a lot of stupid little anecdotes I had forgotten of that time of my life before everything started to shit itself.
For instance, the first time I listened to "Zombie" on the radio I was at a store buying a pencil sharpener with the shape of a radio (don't ask me how I remember that, it's a loooong story) and I asked the girl to shut up because I wanted to listen the name of the song. I cant believe how many memories I have attached to The Cranberries.

Day 30
Aminals

so the Vikings would send some of their strongest fighters out into the wilderness in wolf and bear pelts. They would live with the animals until they were feral, then the Vikings would cage them feed them booze and hallucinations and send them into battle with uncontrollable animalistic blood lust
Amon Amarth kicks assBC607A51-A451-47DE-80F2-763A04562672.jpeg

Day 31: Play an album by the same artist you played on Day 1

My first album was "Ainsi soit je..." by Mylene Farmer. As I have all of her other albums just on CD, I go for some 12" picture vinyl I had bought about 20 years ago (one of the few records I had bought on vinyl in my teens, I've just really started to get into collecting vinyl in 2017). It's "Je te rends ton amour" from her incredible 1999 album "Innamoramento". I'm amazed how great the record still sounds given its age and that it's a picture disc.

Mylene Farmer "Je te rends ton amour. Dance remixes"

IMG_20200530_222835.jpg

I've really enjoyed this challenge a lot. It was nice to see the records picked by everyone each day and to read your stories. Thanks a lot for this challenge to @Fleetwood-Matt and everyone who has participated in this ❤️

I'm looking forward a lot to the challenge in June ☀️

DAY 31 - SAME ARTIST AS DAY 1
The Good, the Bad & the Queen - Merrie Land
Hopefully this isn't considered cheating. I played The Fall by Gorillaz on Day 1 and I figured that playing another Damon album would be okay :)

A big reason for me playing this one specifically is in tribute to the late Tony Allen, whose fantastic drumming is featured all across this album. His performances are a highlight to what is one of the most underrated albums of 2018. This is album is a grower, I didn't really love it immediately on first listen but as I kept returning to it, my opinion of it only grew and grew. This is probably the most lyrically complex Damon has been throughout the entire 2010s, weaving intricate lyrics about the bleak future of Britain in the aftermath of Brexit, among other things. The album is sometimes somber, sometimes menacing, sometimes beautiful.
20200531_004603.jpg

Back