May 2020 Record Challenge Thread (PRIZE RAFFLE AT THE END!)

Day 30: Pet Sounds! Play an album that makes you think of animals!

Morrissey "I am not a dog on a chain"

We all know about Morrissey's controversial and in recent years often very questionable remarks, but I've chosen this record apart from its title for the track "Love is on its way out" that includes the lines "Did you see the sad rich hunting down, shooting down elephants and lions?". I think we can agree it's not cool to kill big animals in Africa or elsewhere just for the senseless fun of hunting. ❤️

IMG_20200530_083341.jpg

Day 30 - pet sounds

Kathryn Williams - Dog Leap Stairs

One of my more obscure animal references but comes with bonus of three on the cover. A great first album by this singer-songwriter, who I saw a little while later with a newcomer from Ireland as support. His mic broke so he spent the whole gig playing without amplification and was spellbinding -it was Damien Rice. Kathryn Williams then came on and was even better.

20200530_094145.jpg

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother (Harvest, 1970 First French Pressing)

I was VERY close to choosing 'Animals' for todays challenge but thought it to be a bit too obvious of a pick. I bought Atom Heart Mother on my girlfriend and my first holiday together back in 2012 at the marché aux puces de saint-ouen in Paris. I always try to get a record pressed from the country I am visiting, and this album cover, with the cow, caught my eye and was priced well. I had never heard the album before, but after the first listen I knew it was one that would get plenty more plays. Its such a journey of music and when I think of animals on album artworks I definitely think of this one!

IMG_7516.JPG

Day 29 - Nostalgic
David Bowie - 1.Outside
Can remember getting this when it came out. I was 15 and it blew my mind that Bowie, who I’d been listening to and enjoyed for a few years could have a contempo It and David have followed me throughout my life. Some days at a push I say this might be my favourite Bowie albums. Other days I say it definitely is.

It was a remarkable statement from a heritage artist when it was released. It still is.

86748A76-3448-4002-9146-A9F12A702FE8.jpeg

I never really think of Trans that way, though I probably should. 808s and BHR had the full force of their label marketing behind it. Trans was just kind of released and allowed to flounder on its own. It’s release is much more akin to Paul’s Boutique to me. The label didn’t know what to do with it so just put it out there. It didn’t do well, but eventually built its own mystique. Who knows what would have happened if people had actually heard Trans.

I love Trans. Such a strange album but I find it really touching.

Day 30 - critters

so this is on the nose:
4DE0A2A4-EAED-49CF-BAF8-3DE50F4AB380.jpeg
Various Artists - Chickens in Love

so a school in la had a workshop where the kids wrote songs. After the project was all done, the school sent the videotapes of the songs to musicians in la and told them to cover however they wanted (just don’t change the words)

this is the result

B929ED1E-EFEF-4A5C-AB61-5F9ADFCEE00C.jpeg

355AD0D1-4452-4A74-8C37-37CEDB1E83F6.jpeg

Animal Pharm "The Vaccine" 12" w/ Pharmaceuticals... (The First Exploration EP)

Ok some underground West Coast rap from the....checks name, sees f replaced with ph...90's!!! Much more Hiro/Project Blowed/Freestyle Fellowship type vibes vs knock off G-Funk. It's OK they never did much after this a couple more singles and EPs but it's a Pharm and that's where animals are!!!

I actually used to rock both record and cassette more than I like to admit! This is taking me back!!!

Back