May 2020 Record Challenge Thread (PRIZE RAFFLE AT THE END!)

Day 20 - 2020 hype! (2020 album or an artist who is set to release an album this year)

Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2

I had planned on posting this one even before the release date of RTJ4 was annouced and pre-orders went live last week. This was my most anticipated album of 2019 and now also 2020 haha Now that I know it's just a few weeks away I'm that much more excited for it. Ready for that heat!🔥🔥🔥

Great choice! So great, in fact, that I now have to let RTJ3 finish and then select another album. ha..

Day 20 - 2020

Muriel Grossmann - Elevation

Muriel Grossmann made my favourite albums of 2018 and 2019 and this one has literally just landed in the post and already is sounding like it will be among my best of 2020. The sound is fantastic and the music is even better. She's on such a rich vein of form (although this music was actually recorded several years ago and issued on CD in 2016 and 2017). Can't recommend this highly enough.

20200520_132534.jpg

Day 20 - 2020

Muriel Grossmann - Elevation

Muriel Grossmann made my favourite albums of 2018 and 2019 and this one has literally just landed in the post and already is sounding like it will be among my best of 2020. The sound is fantastic and the music is even better. She's on such a rich vein of form (although this music was actually recorded several years ago and issued on CD in 2016 and 2017). Can't recommend this highly enough.

View attachment 47919
Oh man, I had this one ready to go as well! Great pick!

Day 20: 2020 hype! (2020 album or an artist who is set to release an album this year)

Shabaka And The Ancestors - Wisdom Of Elders (Brownswood Recordings, 2016 First Pressing)

@Poly-Rythmo chose the fantastic Muriel Grossmann for today's pic (seriously, check her out if you haven't already!) so I will go for someone closer to home. Shabaka is arguably the king of the London jazz scene at the moment and amongst his many projects is the superb collaboration with South African musicians called 'Shabaka And The Ancestors'. Their debut album was released in 2016 and the idea came to Hutchings during one of his several trips to Johannesburg in 2015, which he visited to immerse himself in the country’s musical heritage. The album consists of 9 self-composed tracks and was intended to be listened to as a psalm in 9 parts, a sonic journey across the Atlantic. 7 of South Africa's finest jazz musicians joined Hutchings in the recording of the album, which they did at a Johannesburg studio over a single day. Its a killer album and they recently followed it up with their 2020 follow-up 'We Are Sent Here By History'. Im currently waiting for my VMP pressing to arrive (its in the next town across so hopefully it will arrive in a day or two) so for now I will listen to their debut!

IMG_7092.JPG

Last edited:
Day 19: Play an album that has been nominated or won AOTY at the Grammy’s

Moses Sumney - Aromanticism

So I agree 100% with @High Rant District on this. Awards ceremonies run by industries are not about artistic merit, they’re mutual ego masturbation sessions for industry executives. I have much more time for the lists and acolades given by critics and individual fans.

So this is my way of saying fuck the Grammys and all such shitty non-awards (Oscars etc included). I neither know, nor care, if this was nominated. This was my album of 2017 and that’s far more important to me!

9A7D700D-40DB-49CF-BFEF-F9A1DADE2763.jpegBFC90C82-3BC0-436F-AC1D-CED42302EB12.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 20: 2020!

Empty Country - Empty Country

This is my favorite album of the year so far and in a lot of ways it tracks with how the year as gone. This project from the lead of the now defunct Cymbals Eat Guitars was supposed to release this in February on the label Tiny Engines, but he decided to postpone it due to them not paying their artists and find a different label. It was scheduled to come out in April and then COVID happened. He ended up quietly releasing it on the first Bandcamp day and I've listened to it more than any other album this year, finally getting my physical copy earlier this month.

IMG_20200520_100949.jpg

Day 20: 2020 hype! (2020 album or an artist who is set to release an album this year)
Hamilton Leithouser - The Loves Of Your Life
07E4E4A8-079D-4C61-95F9-35D6B26DE47A.jpeg

Looked over my Discogs and discovered that I have purchased only 4 records that might count as new releases for 2020, (one, Alabaster DePlume is technically a compilation and Kiwi Jr. had a small run released in 2019 so those probably shouldn’t count anyways) The only two LP’s I was confident enough to purchase without hearing first were Waxahatchee (which is expectedly fantastic) and This. I feel like I have been out of sync with modern releases as of late (this happens from time to time) but my thirst for new tunes never ceases. I have instead been looking backwards to music and styles that I have missed. That being said, I do hope something new and exciting springs up soon, it usually does.

Last edited:

One day in the far distant future my copy of Grae might just make it over from the US...

Feeling is reciprocated. I've been waiting on the new For Tet -Sixteen Oceans from Bleep that was shipped April 23. No tracking number either, it's nerve wracking.

So while I wait...

Four Tet - New Energy
released 2017

IMG_20200520_133906.jpg

Back