May 2020 Record Challenge Thread (PRIZE RAFFLE AT THE END!)

Day 19: AOTY Nominated

Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city

Nominated in 2014, losing to RAM, but much more famously losing best rap album to Macklemore.

ehGuJS.gif

IMG_20200519_101343.jpg

Day 19: Play an album that has been nominated or won AOTY at the Grammy’s (1985, Nominated)
Prince & The Revolution - Purple Rain
DE349130-4442-4A14-BE4D-852A11CB1F4F.jpeg

This might be a bit shocking (and no shade to Mr. Lionel Richie; I am sure Can’t Slow Down is a fine effort) but I think the Grammys May have chosen the wrong Album of The Year winner for 1985. I am sure this is just a one off mistake on their part. The RIAA is usually a paramount in tastes with an unimpeachable reputation.

Day 19: Play an album that has been nominated or won AOTY at the Grammy’s

Traveling Wilburys ‎– Volume One (Wilbury Records, 1988 First Pressing)

The Traveling Wilburys - Volume 1 was nominated for a grammy in 1990 with Otis Wilbury & Nelson Wilbury (pseudonyms for Jeff Lynne & George Harrison) being credited as producers. They lost out to 'Nick of Time' by the blues singer Bonnie Raitt (Don Was, who is now head of Blue Note records was the producer). The album is fantastic from start to finish and sees titans of the Americana/folk/pop/rock world combine forces, including George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison and Tom Petty. Its an album I never get tired listening to, and well worth checking out if you havent already!

IMG_7083.JPG

Back